Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

The End of DCF Worldwide?

The End of DCF Worldwide?

Old Jan 23rd 2007, 5:15 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute
Default The End of DCF Worldwide?

Several Embassy Immigrant Visa websites are announcing the end of overseas filings of I-130 petitions. There are various reasons given.

I haven't enough regarding the explanation yet, but maybe one of you will have seen something that can bring I-130 petitions together with what Tokyo says is the reason- The Adam Walsh Child Protection and Safety Act.

"Important Change in I-130 Filing Procedures
Effective immediately, in accordance with the Adam Walsh Child Protection and Safety Act, overseas consular posts are no longer authorized to accept or adjudicate all I-130 petitions. Persons seeking to file an I-130 petition should submit it directly to the appropriate USCIS office. American citizens and U.S. legal permanent residents residing in Japan or present in Japan likewise must file for an immigrant visa petition (I-130) or K visa with with the appropriate USCIS office. The USCIS maintains an office locator page, based on place of residence, on its website.
Please check back on this website for further details and updates as we are expecting more details on these new procedures soon."
http://tokyo.usembassy.gov/e/visa/tvisa-important.html
Old Jan 23rd 2007, 5:56 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The End of DCF Worldwide?

Originally Posted by meauxna
Several Embassy Immigrant Visa websites are announcing the end of overseas filings of I-130 petitions. There are various reasons given.

I haven't enough regarding the explanation yet, but maybe one of you will have seen something that can bring I-130 petitions together with what Tokyo says is the reason- The Adam Walsh Child Protection and Safety Act.

Effective immediately, in accordance with the Adam Walsh Child Protection and Safety Act, overseas consular posts are no longer authorized to accept or adjudicate all I-130 petitions. Persons seeking to file an I-130 petition should submit it directly to the appropriate USCIS office. American citizens and U.S. legal permanent residents residing in Japan or present in Japan likewise must file for an immigrant visa petition (I-130) or K visa with with the appropriate USCIS office. The USCIS maintains an office locator page, based on place of residence, on its website.
Please check back on this website for further details and updates as we are expecting more details on these new procedures soon."
What is the Adam Walsh Child blah, blah, blah Act? And whatever would it have to do with immigration. Adam Walsh was not killed as a result of immigration but by a depraved male in Florida.
Old Jan 23rd 2007, 5:58 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
What is the Adam Walsh Child blah, blah, blah Act? And whatever would it have to do with immigration. Adam Walsh was not killed as a result of immigration but by a depraved male in Florida.
Got the answer ... it includes child sex traffiking
Old Jan 23rd 2007, 7:08 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Would that not require a work visa rather than a marriage visa?
Old Jan 23rd 2007, 7:20 pm

James Box has a brilliant futureJames Box has a brilliant futureJames Box has a brilliant futureJames Box has a brilliant futureJames Box has a brilliant futureJames Box has a brilliant futureJames Box has a brilliant future

The Act changes the immigration law to prevent child sex offenders from filing the I-130. This is done through an IBIS check and then RfE/fingerprinting.

Do the overseas embassies not have the capabilities to do these checks?
Old Jan 23rd 2007, 8:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Toontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond repute
Default DCF's future?

I just read this thread on another forum. I haven't checked anything yet but it seems that DCF is coming to an end. The Immigrant Visa page of the website of the Embassy in The Hague is "currently under construction"......

I really feel for all those who are caught in this sudden change.
Old Jan 23rd 2007, 8:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Toontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: DCF's future?

The website of the embassy in Paris, France says that:

"EFFECTIVE IMMEDIATELY consular officers at the United States Embassy in Paris can no longer accept I-130 petitions for family-based immigration to the United States. All I-130 petitions must be filed with U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services in the United States."
Old Jan 23rd 2007, 11:56 pm
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi:

I just looked at the 8 CFR 204.1(e). That regulation has NOT been changed and I've seen no notices of intent to change it.

So it seems that, if the petitioner resides in Japan, the I-130 must be filed with the DHS overseas office in Bangkok. I note that Bangkok does have a sub-office in Seoul. I know that, in the past, the I-601 waivers from Japan were adjudicated in Seoul.
Old Jan 24th 2007, 7:39 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Folinskyinla
Hi:

I just looked at the 8 CFR 204.1(e). That regulation has NOT been changed and I've seen no notices of intent to change it.

So it seems that, if the petitioner resides in Japan, the I-130 must be filed with the DHS overseas office in Bangkok. I note that Bangkok does have a sub-office in Seoul. I know that, in the past, the I-601 waivers from Japan were adjudicated in Seoul.
Thank you for posting the correct piece of the CFR, and for clarifying what I didn't say in my OP. "Appropriate USCIS office" would be the key phrase.

Some of the Embassy websites have language similar to Paris', which does create more confusion, particularly for USCs who are resident abroad.

Reports at VJ are that scheduled visa interviews are being cancelled while petitions are being sent to the various Field Offices for review and final adjudication. It seems similar to the implementation of the IMBRA requirements in the backdated treatment of petitions/applications in the works.

Creates a bit of a hardship to travel to a Field Office in another country to file in person--might the result be that all petitions will be funneled through the SC/NVC system?
Old Jan 24th 2007, 9:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

HunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond repute

Recent legislation has led to changes in the procedures American citizens resident abroad will follow if they wish to sponsor an immediate relative (spouse, parent or minor child) for an immigrant visa. Effective immediately, the immediate relative petition (I-130) must be filed with the USCIS office responsible for the petitioner's place of residence (that is, the place of residence of the American citizen who is filing the petition). Consular offices at U.S. embassies and consulates are no longer authorized to accept I-130s, although they will continue to provide guidance to American citizen petitioners and their family members. Responsibility for acceptance and approval of immigrant visa petitions rests solely with USCIS. American citizens should submit their I-130 at the CIS office responsible for their place of residence.

This procedural change may result in a processing delay for some applicants. The Department of State recognizes and sincerely regrets the inconvenience this may cause.

The United States Citizenship and Immigration Services office servicing the Netherlands is that in Frankfurt, Germany.

This is what's on the website of the The Hague embassy today.
( http://thehague.usembassy.gov/immediate_relatives.html )

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but does this mean that if the USC resides in The Netherlands, you file through Frankfurt? ( http://tinyurl.com/23y5lg )

Elaine
Old Jan 24th 2007, 10:40 pm
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by HunterGreen
Recent legislation has led to changes in the procedures American citizens resident abroad will follow if they wish to sponsor an immediate relative (spouse, parent or minor child) for an immigrant visa. Effective immediately, the immediate relative petition (I-130) must be filed with the USCIS office responsible for the petitioner's place of residence (that is, the place of residence of the American citizen who is filing the petition). Consular offices at U.S. embassies and consulates are no longer authorized to accept I-130s, although they will continue to provide guidance to American citizen petitioners and their family members. Responsibility for acceptance and approval of immigrant visa petitions rests solely with USCIS. American citizens should submit their I-130 at the CIS office responsible for their place of residence.

This procedural change may result in a processing delay for some applicants. The Department of State recognizes and sincerely regrets the inconvenience this may cause.

The United States Citizenship and Immigration Services office servicing the Netherlands is that in Frankfurt, Germany.

This is what's on the website of the The Hague embassy today.
( http://thehague.usembassy.gov/immediate_relatives.html )

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but does this mean that if the USC resides in The Netherlands, you file through Frankfurt? ( http://tinyurl.com/23y5lg )

Elaine
Hi:

That is what it sounds like to me.
Old Jan 25th 2007, 12:33 am
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Why do this?

How will it affect the speed and ease of application processing?

Isn't the country in which the beneficiary resides, best able to determine whether the beneficiary has a history of ANY criminal activity, because they have proximity to that country's law enforcement, knowledge of the language, etc?

This just shoehorns the applications into fewer, but still overseas, offices and increases the hardship on the petitioner and beneficiary.
Old Jan 25th 2007, 2:20 am

Originally Posted by snowbunny
Why do this?

How will it affect the speed and ease of application processing?

Isn't the country in which the beneficiary resides, best able to determine whether the beneficiary has a history of ANY criminal activity, because they have proximity to that country's law enforcement, knowledge of the language, etc?

This just shoehorns the applications into fewer, but still overseas, offices and increases the hardship on the petitioner and beneficiary.
It's the petitioner they're checking out for this one.
Old Jan 25th 2007, 2:25 am
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

It's the petitioner they're checking out for this one.
The only thing they need to check apart from income is whether the petitioner is truly a citizen or resident. And they don't trust the consulates to be able to verify this?!
Old Jan 25th 2007, 3:14 am
BE Forum Addict

HunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you, mr. F.

Snow, they are supposed to check now if the petitioner is a registered sex offender. Apparently the consulates do not have the means to access this information.

Elaine

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.