Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Emigration coming - addresses, cards & airport procedures

Emigration coming - addresses, cards & airport procedures

Old Aug 13th 2012, 8:53 pm
Forum Regular

guitarmaan has a reputation beyond reputeguitarmaan has a reputation beyond reputeguitarmaan has a reputation beyond reputeguitarmaan has a reputation beyond reputeguitarmaan has a reputation beyond reputeguitarmaan has a reputation beyond reputeguitarmaan has a reputation beyond reputeguitarmaan has a reputation beyond reputeguitarmaan has a reputation beyond reputeguitarmaan has a reputation beyond reputeguitarmaan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Emigration coming - addresses, cards & airport procedures

Hi, it's been a little while since posting. Time has flown, and soon my wife & I will be leaving for the USA after a successful IR1 visa application for myself. Yay. We fly to Chicago (to see relatives) on the 4th September, and a week later we fly to Phoenix Arizona where we settle. Temporary accomodation is booked in both places.

I have a couple of questions though about what's coming...

I recall recently reading about the airport arrival process and someone getting a hard time because they wanted to change their residence address? Apparently they should have sorted it out earlier. I've never known where we'll be staying (until now) and on the DS230 I put address unknown. Is there action I should be taking on this issue?

I did have an address for my permanent resident card though i.e. a relative who could send it on to me. So that in itself is fine. But where will my SSN card be sent? On the DS230 I ticked the box to be sent this card (for the first time). Will they use the same address as the PRC? I hope so. Again, is there something I should do about this?

Finally, I am curious about the airport procedure. All I know so far is that I hand over that envelope (untampered) and my x ray disc. Can anyone advise me on this or link me on how to prepare? I don't know if it's a quick process or a drawn out interrogation
Old Aug 13th 2012, 9:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

Moxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Emigration coming - addresses, cards & airport procedures

It shouldn't be difficult and the length of time depends on how many other new immigrants arrive at the same time needing processing. They don't need your X-ray CD. They open your packet, check the documents, stamp your passport indicating you are a permanent resident. That serves as your temp greencard until you get it in the mail. They may ask you a few questions and may say "welcome to America". Depends on the officer you get.
Old Aug 13th 2012, 9:27 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

I believe your green card and social security card will both be sent to the address you provided on the DS-230. It seems you put "unknown" for that address, though? You say you did have an address for the green card...where did you list that one?

Either way, just let the POE officer know the address you intend to stay at in the USA, and that is hopefully where both the green card and the social security card will be mailed. Sounds like you'll be in Phoenix permanently, and you have a temporary address lined up there...that's the one I'd give at the POE, as long as you'll be there longer than a month or two.

If you don't get the social security card within a month or so, you can go in person to the local social security office to apply for one (ticking that box doesn't always work). If you don't get your green card within a month or so, you'll have to make an Infopass appointment to go in person to the local USCIS office to make an inquiry.

The POE process isn't difficult, but no way of knowing how long it will take. Just depends how many people are going through at the same time you are. Ours (through JFK) took about 2 hours.

Rene

Last edited by Noorah101; Aug 13th 2012 at 9:29 pm.
Old Aug 13th 2012, 9:51 pm
Forum Regular

guitarmaan has a reputation beyond reputeguitarmaan has a reputation beyond reputeguitarmaan has a reputation beyond reputeguitarmaan has a reputation beyond reputeguitarmaan has a reputation beyond reputeguitarmaan has a reputation beyond reputeguitarmaan has a reputation beyond reputeguitarmaan has a reputation beyond reputeguitarmaan has a reputation beyond reputeguitarmaan has a reputation beyond reputeguitarmaan has a reputation beyond repute

"They may ask you a few questions and may say "welcome to America". Depends on the officer you get."- Moxie

Hopefully I'll catch them on a good day. If not I'll just have to cheer them up myself

"I believe your green card and social security card will both be sent to the address you provided on the DS-230. It seems you put "unknown" for that address, though? You say you did have an address for the green card...where did you list that one?"

There were two fields on the form, one for address and one for sending the green card. I left address as unknown and a relative in Chicago for the card.

"Sounds like you'll be in Phoenix permanently, and you have a temporary address lined up there...that's the one I'd give at the POE, as long as you'll be there longer than a month or two".

This is kind of the complication (and there always is one!). We have an extended stay motel booked for two months in Arizona. Our action plan is to find and buy a house in Phoenix asap. So we may actually not be there for very long at all. We just don't know. So perhaps ideally the cards could be sent to the relative, and then she can send them onto wherever we may be. I assume the officer at POE will require a residential address of some kind. I'm just wary of giving a motel address I guess.

"If you don't get the social security card within a month or so, you can go in person to the local social security office to apply for one (ticking that box doesn't always work). If you don't get your green card within a month or so, you'll have to make an Infopass appointment to go in person to the local USCIS office to make an inquiry". - Rene

Thanks, that's good to know.
Old Aug 13th 2012, 9:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

GeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by guitarmaan
I recall recently reading about the airport arrival process and someone getting a hard time because they wanted to change their residence address? Apparently they should have sorted it out earlier.
If you're referring to my post back in April, yes, the officer was grumpy about it. But he was grumpy about everything so I wouldn't worry! IIRC the form they produce at immigration and where you put your fingerprint already has a section for change of address, so it's not as if grumpy gits had to fill out a whole load more paperwork.

Don't forget if you move, you're supposed to tell USCIS with an AR-11 (can be done online). At least, I think this applies to you?
Old Aug 13th 2012, 11:01 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

This is kind of the complication (and there always is one!). We have an extended stay motel booked for two months in Arizona. Our action plan is to find and buy a house in Phoenix asap. So we may actually not be there for very long at all. We just don't know. So perhaps ideally the cards could be sent to the relative, and then she can send them onto wherever we may be. I assume the officer at POE will require a residential address of some kind. I'm just wary of giving a motel address I guess.
Thanks for painting the bigger picture. I'd use the Chicago mailing address, make sure the POE officer knows it, and writes it in wherever it needs to be, so that your green card and SS card will both get sent to that Chicago mailing address.

Once you have a stable address in Phoenix, do an AR-11 to update your file with USCIS. Your USC spouse will need to do an I-865 to update her address as sponsor. Keep in mind that the AR-11 does not actually *change* your address with USCIS, but you won't have any pending applications, so it shouldn't be a big deal. And, you said you have an IR-1 visa, so you should get the 10-year green card.

It still stands that if you don't receive your green card or SS card in the mail within 4 - 6 weeks, follow up in person in Phoenix.

Rene
Old Aug 13th 2012, 11:31 pm
Forum Regular

"If you're referring to my post back in April, yes, the officer was grumpy about it. But he was grumpy about everything so I wouldn't worry! IIRC the form they produce at immigration and where you put your fingerprint already has a section for change of address, so it's not as if grumpy gits had to fill out a whole load more paperwork".-GeoffM

Yes I think it was your post

" I'd use the Chicago mailing address, make sure the POE officer knows it, and writes it in wherever it needs to be
Once you have a stable address in Phoenix, do an AR-11 to update your file with USCIS. Your USC spouse will need to do an I-865 to update her address as sponsor.
It still stands that if you don't receive your green card or SS card in the mail within 4 - 6 weeks, follow up in person in Phoenix."- Rene

Great, clear instructions. Thanks. I'll stick with the relatives address then
Old Aug 15th 2012, 1:50 pm
Forum Regular

superkruz has a reputation beyond reputesuperkruz has a reputation beyond reputesuperkruz has a reputation beyond reputesuperkruz has a reputation beyond reputesuperkruz has a reputation beyond reputesuperkruz has a reputation beyond reputesuperkruz has a reputation beyond reputesuperkruz has a reputation beyond reputesuperkruz has a reputation beyond reputesuperkruz has a reputation beyond reputesuperkruz has a reputation beyond repute

I recall recently reading about the airport arrival process and someone getting a hard time because they wanted to change their residence address? Apparently they should have sorted it out earlier. I've never known where we'll be staying (until now) and on the DS230 I put address unknown. Is there action I should be taking on this issue?
I also put "UNKNOWN" in the "permanent address" field of my DS-230. I was never asked about it again, and I never provided one.
I did enter an address for where the GC should be mailed. I changed this one, upon arrival at POE, without any drama by simply asking the officer to change it.

I did have an address for my permanent resident card though i.e. a relative who could send it on to me. So that in itself is fine. But where will my SSN card be sent? On the DS230 I ticked the box to be sent this card (for the first time). Will they use the same address as the PRC? I hope so. Again, is there something I should do about this
I heard of too many people who ticket this box but never received their SS card so I went to a SS office anyway to apply for a SSN. At that point I provided a mailing address for the SS card. If you just tick the box and wait for the card, I assume they would have to send it to the same address as the PRC, as that would be the only mailing address of you they have.

Finally, I am curious about the airport procedure. All I know so far is that I hand over that envelope (untampered) and my x ray disc. Can anyone advise me on this or link me on how to prepare? I don't know if it's a quick process or a drawn out interrogation
It could not be more simple. I lined up with the US citizens/LPR's. When the officer saw my envelope he took me to another counter where I waited to be processed. After a while I got my passport back, scanned my fingerprints etc... standard stuff, nothing to be worried about at all.

Good luck

Last edited by superkruz; Aug 15th 2012 at 1:53 pm.
Old Aug 15th 2012, 2:03 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by superkruz
Good luck
Thanks, that doesn't sound too bad. I'll have to remember the SSN may not show up at all, and be pro-active about it.
Old Aug 15th 2012, 2:10 pm
Forum Regular

superkruz has a reputation beyond reputesuperkruz has a reputation beyond reputesuperkruz has a reputation beyond reputesuperkruz has a reputation beyond reputesuperkruz has a reputation beyond reputesuperkruz has a reputation beyond reputesuperkruz has a reputation beyond reputesuperkruz has a reputation beyond reputesuperkruz has a reputation beyond reputesuperkruz has a reputation beyond reputesuperkruz has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks, that doesn't sound too bad. I'll have to remember the SSN may not show up at all, and be pro-active about it.
You're welcome. I think one tends to over-think the whole process sometimes and make it more complicated than it needs to be - I know I did. Once you do it you realize that it is actually quite simple and straight forward.

I do recommend visiting a SS office even though you ticked the SS card box. Some say you should wait about 10 days before doing so, allowing time for your immigration details to filter through to the SS system. I went to a SS office the day after arriving in the US and since the SS offices could not find me on their system they said they would wait until my info was available and would process it at that point. My card arrived fairly soon - about within 2-3 weeks after I applied.

Hope it helps
Old Aug 16th 2012, 9:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

TimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond repute

Can you setup a PO Box in Phoenix and have the USCIS and SS Office deliver to there?
Old Aug 16th 2012, 9:59 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by TimFountain
Can you setup a PO Box in Phoenix and have the USCIS and SS Office deliver to there?
That's a good question.
Old Aug 16th 2012, 10:19 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by TimFountain
thats what i did for my GC. I think SS requires a mailing address in the same state as the one you apply in. If you apply in AZ then you can do this