Reload this Page >

Eladnolnod's question re marrying on VWP

Eladnolnod's question re marrying on VWP

Old Jan 4th 2019, 12:58 pm
Just Joined

Eladnolnod is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Eladnolnod's question re marrying on VWP

Hello all,

Apoogies for reviving such an old thread however I have a question.

I am due to marry my Fiancée whom is a US citizen and we too are also going to go through the CR-1 route so I can keep working back in the U.K. while the process rolls on. Our marriage is due to take place January 2020 in California as that’s where she lives.

Does anyone know where (if anywhere) it states that it is legal to enter on the VWP to marry and then return back home to your origin country? I have checked the USCIS and CBP websites but I’m struggling to find anything.

Not disbeleiving anything that that has been said on this thread however I am a stickler for detail and want to make sure I have all basis covered to ensure that everything we are doing is 100% legal in the eyes of USCIS so we do not jeopardise anything for our future together.

Also I’d love to hear of people’s recent experiences with the whole CR-1 process and if you have any tips/advice it would be highly appreciated.

Kind regards,

Dale.
Old Jan 4th 2019, 1:00 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Marriage on an ESTA?

Welcome to BE!

Please start your own thread rather than resurrecting this zombie thread. Mods, can we do that or split it into a new one?

As to your question - it is not explicitly illegal in the regulations, therefore it is legal. Many many many of us (including me) have done just that.
Old Jan 4th 2019, 1:27 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Eladnolnod's question re marrying on VWP

Moved to its own thread.

Rene
Old Jan 4th 2019, 7:12 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by civilservant
Welcome to BE!

Please start your own thread rather than resurrecting this zombie thread. Mods, can we do that or split it into a new one?

As to your question - it is not explicitly illegal in the regulations, therefore it is legal. Many many many of us (including me) have done just that.
Thanks for the reply. Like I said, it’s not that I am disbelieving what people have done or said. I was just looking to see it in black and white however as you say above, it doesn’t say it’s illegal!

Have a nice night and thanks!

Dale
Old Jan 4th 2019, 8:16 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

What is arguably illegal is "marrying and staying", so you may feel a bit sneaky trying to get through immigration without admitting that you're going to get married, because there is the possibility you might be turned away on arrival just because of the suspicion of "marrying and planning to stay. In my experience, which was admittedly almost 20 years ago, I found clearing immigration at the larger airports to be quicker, with fewer probing questions from the immigration officer than the times I arrived at Podunk International, where on one occasion the officer helpfully, but entirely incorrectly advised me that marrying on a VWP visit would be illegal. .... Which is exactly what I later did without incident, and on that occasion I arrived through Newark.
Old Jan 4th 2019, 8:44 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Pulaski
What is arguably illegal is "marrying and staying", so you may feel a bit sneaky trying to get through immigration without admitting that you're going to get married, because there is the possibility you might be turned away on arrival just because of the suspicion of "marrying and planning to stay. In my experience, which was admittedly almost 20 years ago, I found clearing immigration at the larger airports to be quicker, with fewer probing questions from the immigration officer than the times I arrived at Podunk International, where on one occasion the officer helpfully, but entirely incorrectly advised me that marrying on a VWP visit would be illegal. .... Which is exactly what I later did without incident, and on that occasion I arrived through Newark.
Pulaski,

Thanks for your reply. I will be flying into LAX which at any time of the year is pretty busy.

Good to hear other people have entered and married on the VWP without incident!

Dale.

Old Jan 4th 2019, 9:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

US law typically restricts, rather than grants freedoms.
Old Jan 8th 2019, 8:42 pm
Forum Regular

Alba2018 is an unknown quantity at this point

I certainly hope it’s legal. I entered USA after Xmas (UKC) and told CBP when asked that I was visiting my GF I didn’t find the need to say I was getting married the end of Jan 😃.

I too will be returning and following the CR1 path so I can work in UK until such times as I’m permitted to reside in USA and I’ll be coming back to USA between jobs in UK (self employed).

Good luck.