Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

EAD stamp at POE vs EAD stamp at local office

EAD stamp at POE vs EAD stamp at local office

Old Nov 26th 2003, 1:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

MarDae will become famous soon enough
Default EAD stamp at POE vs EAD stamp at local office

Hi, I have yet another EAD POE question. My fiance has the option of flying into JFK and trying to get his K1 EAD stamp there. He would prefer to fly into Philly and then we would get his EAD stamp at a later date at the Philly office. My concern is that I've gotten the impression that it's much easier and less of a hassle to just get the EAD stamp at JFK if you can. I've tried to explain this to him but he's not convinced. The problem is I'm not really sure what getting the 90 day K1 EAD stamp at Philly would entail.

I'd like to know what experiences people have had who have gotten this EAD stamp at their local office and not at a POE? Is it time consuming, is it guaranteed? Any advice would be appreciated (I'd especially like Philly experiences but any info would be helpful).

Thanks in advance!!

MarDae
Old Nov 27th 2003, 12:06 am
Forum Regular

Help is a name known to allHelp is a name known to allHelp is a name known to allHelp is a name known to allHelp is a name known to allHelp is a name known to allHelp is a name known to allHelp is a name known to allHelp is a name known to allHelp is a name known to allHelp is a name known to all
Default Re: EAD stamp at POE vs EAD stamp at local office

if is any thing like my experience
That ead stamp ment nothing to my employer as I needed a Socal number to work and i still have not got one or a EAD
see below

Originally posted by MarDae
Hi, I have yet another EAD POE question. My fiance has the option of flying into JFK and trying to get his K1 EAD stamp there. He would prefer to fly into Philly and then we would get his EAD stamp at a later date at the Philly office. My concern is that I've gotten the impression that it's much easier and less of a hassle to just get the EAD stamp at JFK if you can. I've tried to explain this to him but he's not convinced. The problem is I'm not really sure what getting the 90 day K1 EAD stamp at Philly would entail.

I'd like to know what experiences people have had who have gotten this EAD stamp at their local office and not at a POE? Is it time consuming, is it guaranteed? Any advice would be appreciated (I'd especially like Philly experiences but any info would be helpful).

Thanks in advance!!

MarDae
Old Nov 27th 2003, 12:17 am
BE Forum Addict

Dekka's Angel is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks in advance!!

MarDae
If you don't get an airport entry stamp (which I think JFK is one of the few places still giving out), I believe you have to actually apply for a temporary EAD card using the I-765 (and paying the commensurate fee). I don't know whether Philadelphia allows you to do that on a walk in basis or not, since that is not my BCIS office, but if it does not, then you will have to wait for the 90-day EAD to be approved and issued after applying for it, a process which might well -- depending on your location -- use up the 90 days. Knowing the answer to whether you can do the I-765 on a walk-in basis might help you decide whether that route, or the JFK stamp route, is more attractive for you.
Old Nov 27th 2003, 12:21 am
Charlie Tuna

CharlieS is a glorious beacon of lightCharlieS is a glorious beacon of lightCharlieS is a glorious beacon of lightCharlieS is a glorious beacon of lightCharlieS is a glorious beacon of lightCharlieS is a glorious beacon of lightCharlieS is a glorious beacon of lightCharlieS is a glorious beacon of lightCharlieS is a glorious beacon of lightCharlieS is a glorious beacon of lightCharlieS is a glorious beacon of light

Just my own thoughts here.
When I finally get to fly to the USA, I will be going to California, yet I've already decided I will use JFK as my POE purely based on the idea of getting the EAD stamp there and saving myself some hassle.
Old Nov 27th 2003, 12:47 am
Forum Regular

Help is a name known to allHelp is a name known to allHelp is a name known to allHelp is a name known to allHelp is a name known to allHelp is a name known to allHelp is a name known to allHelp is a name known to allHelp is a name known to allHelp is a name known to allHelp is a name known to all

Originally posted by CharlieS
Just my own thoughts here.
When I finally get to fly to the USA, I will be going to California, yet I've already decided I will use JFK as my POE purely based on the idea of getting the EAD stamp there and saving myself some hassle.

I have a EAD STAMP (but wait i still cant get work)
came through JFK and landed a job but the require a SSN number
so what is the STAMP telling me and how long is it for !!!
Old Nov 27th 2003, 12:49 am
Charlie Tuna

CharlieS is a glorious beacon of lightCharlieS is a glorious beacon of lightCharlieS is a glorious beacon of lightCharlieS is a glorious beacon of lightCharlieS is a glorious beacon of lightCharlieS is a glorious beacon of lightCharlieS is a glorious beacon of lightCharlieS is a glorious beacon of lightCharlieS is a glorious beacon of lightCharlieS is a glorious beacon of lightCharlieS is a glorious beacon of light

Its my understanding (and i could well be wrong) but you need to file AOS before you can receive your ssn.
Have you done that yet?
Old Nov 27th 2003, 1:04 am
Forum Regular

Its my understanding (and i could well be wrong) but you need to file AOS before you can receive your ssn.
Have you done that yet?
Yes i have done that (but if you look at this post)..
they have on ssn before the AOS

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...hreadid=192969
Old Nov 27th 2003, 2:32 am
Michael D. Young

CharlieS wrote:

> Its my understanding (and i could well be wrong) but you need to file
    > AOS before you can receive your ssn.

Wrong If a K-1 you can apply as soon as you get here. After 76 days or
K-3 status you need an EAD card, which you normally apply for at the same
time as you file for AOS.

Old Nov 27th 2003, 2:37 am
Michael D. Young

Help wrote:

> if is any thing like my experience
    > That ead stamp ment nothing to my employer as I needed a Socal number to
    > work and i still have not got one or a EAD

You do not need an SSN to begin working. Only need to show you have applied
for one.

Employer Responsibilities When Hiring Foreign Workers

http://www.ssa.gov/employer/hiring.htm

See the last sentence of the first paragraph.

Old Nov 27th 2003, 2:52 am
Charlie Tuna

Gracias Michael. More notes for my immigration notebook
It's scarey how daunting this can all feel at times
Old Nov 27th 2003, 2:53 am
BE Enthusiast

janadeen has a reputation beyond reputejanadeen has a reputation beyond reputejanadeen has a reputation beyond reputejanadeen has a reputation beyond reputejanadeen has a reputation beyond reputejanadeen has a reputation beyond reputejanadeen has a reputation beyond reputejanadeen has a reputation beyond reputejanadeen has a reputation beyond reputejanadeen has a reputation beyond reputejanadeen has a reputation beyond repute

You do NOT need to file for Adjustment of Status before you can get a SS#.

Have you done that yet?
Old Nov 27th 2003, 3:03 am
BE Enthusiast

janadeen has a reputation beyond reputejanadeen has a reputation beyond reputejanadeen has a reputation beyond reputejanadeen has a reputation beyond reputejanadeen has a reputation beyond reputejanadeen has a reputation beyond reputejanadeen has a reputation beyond reputejanadeen has a reputation beyond reputejanadeen has a reputation beyond reputejanadeen has a reputation beyond reputejanadeen has a reputation beyond repute

Hi MarDae - I'm in NY & can't give you any reliable info on Philly. I only can speak to NY and DC as I friend I know there went thru this process.

My feeling though, is that not much is 'guaranteed' with the INS & whenEVER you can minimize hassle-do so.

If he can fly into JFK, then he should do it. Hind sight is always 20/20.

And my own 2 cents on the EAD stamp is this: in many or most situations, 'it's not all that'. By this I mean that unless your future spouse already had a job lined up somewhere or has some serious line on a job when he gets here, then the stamp is not all that.

Because - most if not all employers will want him to have a social sec # before he's hired; this will take at LEAST a few weeks.

Then, by the time resume, interviews & such are lined up, the 90 days are up - and after those 90 days, he's not supposed to be working.

I think it's more critical to focus on assembling the AOS Package (aos/ead/ap) and getting THAT in the mail or to your center so that the real perm EAD card gets to you all as soon as possible.

In any case, if you're still concerned about getting the temp EAD stamp though, I tell ya - FLY INTO JFK!! A change of planes to Philly is WORTH that hassle.

Besta luck! (-:

Thanks in advance!!

MarDae