Reload this Page >

EAD & Social Security number

EAD & Social Security number

Old Oct 13th 2004, 2:54 pm
Just Joined

JayUSA is an unknown quantity at this point
Default EAD & Social Security number

Hi everyone,

I received my Employment Authorization Card through the post yesterday that I applied for while awaiting AOS. Now am I required to obtain a SS number before I can start working? I'm pretty sure I am but want to double check.

Thanks,

Jay
Old Oct 13th 2004, 3:42 pm
Lurker, Part-time Poster

celinelopez will become famous soon enough
Default Re: EAD & Social Security number

Originally Posted by JayUSA
Hi everyone,

I received my Employment Authorization Card through the post yesterday that I applied for while awaiting AOS. Now am I required to obtain a SS number before I can start working? I'm pretty sure I am but want to double check.

Thanks,

Jay
Yup, you need a social security number.
Old Oct 13th 2004, 3:44 pm
Just Joined

JayUSA is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by celinelopez
Yup, you need a social security number.
Thanks Celine.
Old Oct 13th 2004, 4:05 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JayUSA
Hi everyone,

Thanks,

Jay
Hi Jay,

According to the I-9 form (Employment Eligibility Verification) which your employer will have you fill out, you are not REQUIRED to have a SS number. Number 10 on List A is "Unexpired Employment Authorization Document issued by the INS which contains a photograph (INS Form I-688B)." This is the EAD card with your photo that you got in the mail. An employer should not refuse you work, if you present the EAD card but no SS card.

Now for reporting taxable earnings...yes, you need a SSN.

Best Wishes,
Rene
Old Oct 14th 2004, 5:02 am
Forum Regular

samir1010 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Hi Jay,

According to the I-9 form (Employment Eligibility Verification) which your employer will have you fill out, you are not REQUIRED to have a SS number. Number 10 on List A is "Unexpired Employment Authorization Document issued by the INS which contains a photograph (INS Form I-688B)." This is the EAD card with your photo that you got in the mail. An employer should not refuse you work, if you present the EAD card but no SS card.

Now for reporting taxable earnings...yes, you need a SSN.

Best Wishes,
Rene

Thats funny my wife just got a job at a school and they said she can work but not get paid. They said they will give her backpay when her social gets in.....
hhhmmmm

Samir
Old Oct 14th 2004, 5:56 am
BE Forum Addict

CalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really nice

The issue relates to the W-2 form that employers are required to submit. In the SSN field on that form, employers are permitted to enter "applied for," if that is in fact the case. They subsequently file a W-2c when the employee receives their SSN.

Can an employer withhold wages? Not sure about that. I've heard of it being done but I'm not convinced it is required.
Old Oct 14th 2004, 4:43 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CalgaryAMC
The issue relates to the W-2 form that employers are required to submit. In the SSN field on that form, employers are permitted to enter "applied for," if that is in fact the case. They subsequently file a W-2c when the employee receives their SSN.

Can an employer withhold wages? Not sure about that. I've heard of it being done but I'm not convinced it is required.
Hmmmm...I don't know for sure, but I would think they'd pay the employee their wages anyway, and then withhold back taxes when they do get a SSN. But I really have no idea.

Rene