EAD renewal - 90 days

Old Apr 26th 2006, 1:24 am
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute
Default EAD renewal - 90 days

I understand that one can ask for an interim EAD if the approval does not come through within 90 days.

Can anyone tell me whether a renewal would normally be granted on the spot, more or less automatically, if one makes an Infopass appointment at one's local CIS?

What problems, if any, could arise?

If anyone could share their experiences I'd be grateful!
Old Apr 26th 2006, 3:35 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: EAD renewal - 90 days

Originally Posted by Elvira
I understand that one can ask for an interim EAD if the approval does not come through within 90 days.

Can anyone tell me whether a renewal would normally be granted on the spot, more or less automatically, if one makes an Infopass appointment at one's local CIS?

Anyone - please?
Old Apr 26th 2006, 3:38 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

At one time it was easier to do this. You went to the INS on the 91st day with your receipt of filing and you were given the EAD the same day.

Today there are some DO that won't do it and some that will. Then there is the "receipt date" which is an issue. Some count 90 days from the date of biometrics and some of the date of mailing and/or receipt by the CIS.

You can only attempt it and find out by personal experience these days.
Old Apr 26th 2006, 3:40 pm
Homebody

Originally Posted by Rete
At one time it was easier to do this. You went to the INS on the 91st day with your receipt of filing and you were given the EAD the same day.

Today there are some DO that won't do it and some that will. Then there is the "receipt date" which is an issue. Some count 90 days from the date of biometrics and some of the date of mailing and/or receipt by the CIS.

So, what is the worst case scenario? I mean, supposing they do not give it to him on the same day. What sort of wait would we be talking about?

My son is so upset because he is afraid that his employer won't hold the job form him and he'll get the sack...
Old Apr 26th 2006, 3:41 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Rete took the words right out of my mouth! In the old days, we heard of many people walking in on the 91st day, and walking out with interim EAD in hand.

Lately, I haven't even heard of anyone getting the interim. Seems if they have not had biometrics yet, all they do is schedule biometrics and tell them to wait till the EAD shows up, and if they have done biometrics already, they tell them the EAD should arrive shortly.

As Rete said, all you can do is try and please let us know, too.

Best Wishes,
Rene
Old Apr 26th 2006, 3:42 pm
Homebody

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Rete took the words right out of my mouth! In the old days, we heard of many people walking in on the 91st day, and walking out with interim EAD in hand.

Lately, I haven't even heard of anyone getting the interim. Seems if they have not had biometrics yet, all they do is schedule biometrics and tell them to wait till the EAD shows up, and if they have done biometrics already, they tell them the EAD should arrive shortly.

As Rete said, all you can do is try and please let us know, too.

Best Wishes,
Rene

OMG this is worse than I thought! My son had his biometrics nealry 3 months ago - a week after he filed.

What on earth could be going on? How can we find out? The online status just said that they mailed the receipt (nealry 3 months ago), and I gues phoning the misinformaiton line is no use?
Old Apr 26th 2006, 4:02 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

OMG this is worse than I thought! My son had his biometrics nealry 3 months ago - a week after he filed.

What on earth could be going on? How can we find out? The online status just said that they mailed the receipt (nealry 3 months ago), and I gues phoning the misinformaiton line is no use?
About all you can do at this point, is make the Infopass appointment to make an inquiry. I doubt the misiniformation line could tell you much more than you already know. Hopefully they WILL give him an interim EAD, if it's been more than 90 days (either since the NOA date, or the biometrics date). Just cause no one here has reported receiving an interim EAD, doesn't mean someone out there hasn't.

Rene
Old Apr 26th 2006, 4:08 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

As Rene said, have your son make the Infopass appointment. Take with him a copy of the biometrics receipt he received and the printout of the online status report. Hopefully, this will be enough to get them to give him an interim EAD. Crossing fingers for him.

The only other thing I can think to do is contact your congressperson and have them make an inquiry for him.
Old Apr 26th 2006, 4:56 pm
Homebody

As Rene said, have your son make the Infopass appointment. Take with him a copy of the biometrics receipt he received and the printout of the online status report. Hopefully, this will be enough to get them to give him an interim EAD. Crossing fingers for him.

The only other thing I can think to do is contact your congressperson and have them make an inquiry for him.

Thanks Rete. We have made the appointment and I guess we can only hope for the best.

Already tried Congressperson - after 2 months they came back saying his AOS status is 'Pending'. Like we didn't know!

Nearly 5 years here and seemingly no end to this nightmare...
Old Apr 26th 2006, 5:32 pm
Homebody

As Rene said, have your son make the Infopass appointment. ........
I've just seen this on another post here - the poster is apparently quoting from the USCIS site:

"Work authorization is automatically extended for 240 days for certain
nonimmigrants who have filed an application for an extension of their
work authorization. An INS receipt for a timely filed extension
application may be used as proof of continuing work authorization for a
period of 240 days. An employer must accept such a receipt as proof of
continuing work authorization."

Does this mean that as long as my son has proof of filing for renewal he can continue to work even if the actual EAD has not come through?

This would seem contrary to what I've heard about EADs elsewhere. I am getting more confused by the minute.

Any further insight and/or experiences would be welcome!
Old May 1st 2006, 8:05 pm
Homebody

UPDATE

My son's new EAD arrived today - on day 88...

Phew!

So we still don't know what would have happened if we'd have had to ask for an interim EAD.

(BTW, I tried to cancel his Infopass appointment but "the system" does not recognise his NOA number and/or his appointment number. I don't suppose he'll get any black marks for not cancelling?)