Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

EAD Advice - What do you think?

EAD Advice - What do you think?

Old Apr 27th 2006, 2:39 pm
Just Joined

BigWinston is an unknown quantity at this point
Question EAD Advice - What do you think?

Hi There,

I just got back from my biometrics appointment, and am really trying to get my head around when I might expect approval for my EAD. I'm 50/50 on how long it might take.

Here's the facts for my case:
- NOA dates of Jan 30th (I-486 & I-765)
- Got an RFE (end Feb) on my AOS, lawyer didn't tell me right away!
- Sent back the RFE (Mid to End March) and within two days of receiving notice online I received my biometrics appt. letter (for Apr 26th).
- Got an RFE receipt response on Apr 6th. Is that it done for the RFE? Can my case now proceed, or do I have to wait for another letter saying that my RFE response was OK before my EAD will proceed. Again my RFE was on my AOS.
- EAD online status touched 4 days before my biometrics.

I am not able to tell with the timing whether the RFE delayed my EAD application. However, I think the 90 day clock was reset. It's no use trying to gauge whether it was delayed by my dates as looking at timelines at VisaJourney.com a lot of people with NOA's close to mine were getting there appointments the same times as me, although there were several who had there's a while ago.

How soon do you think it will be before I am approved? I am currently on would-be day 93 of my EAD application, I see a lot of peoples takes between 90 and 100 days, or am I going to have to wait a couple of months as there's been a new 90 day clock?

Any advice or thoughts are most welcome.

Thanks

Last edited by BigWinston; Apr 27th 2006 at 3:48 pm.
Old Apr 27th 2006, 4:09 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: EAD Advice - What do you think?

You are not waiting on your EAD to be "approved". You are waiting for receipt of your EAD. You would not have been given an appointment for the biometrics if you did not have the eligibility to receive the EAD.

The time for this EAD starts in many district offices with the date of the biometrics and not the date of the receipt of your petition.

Originally Posted by BigWinston
Hi There,

I just got back from my biometrics appointment, and am really trying to get my head around when I might expect approval for my EAD. I'm 50/50 on how long it might take.

Here's the facts for my case:
- NOA dates of Jan 30th (I-486 & I-765)
- Got an RFE (end Feb) on my AOS, lawyer didn't tell me right away!
- Sent back the RFE (Mid to End March) and within two days of receiving notice online I received my biometrics appt. letter (for Apr 26th).
- Got an RFE receipt response on Apr 6th. Is that it done for the RFE? Can my case now proceed, or do I have to wait for another letter saying that my RFE response was OK before my EAD will proceed. Again my RFE was on my AOS.
- EAD online status touched 4 days before my biometrics.

I am not able to tell with the timing whether the RFE delayed my EAD application. However, I think the 90 day clock was reset. It's no use trying to gauge whether it was delayed by my dates as looking at timelines at VisaJourney.com a lot of people with NOA's close to mine were getting there appointments the same times as me, although there were several who had there's a while ago.

How soon do you think it will be before I am approved? I am currently on would-be day 93 of my EAD application, I see a lot of peoples takes between 90 and 100 days, or am I going to have to wait a couple of months as there's been a new 90 day clock?

Any advice or thoughts are most welcome.

Thanks
Old Apr 27th 2006, 7:03 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Rete
You are not waiting on your EAD to be "approved". You are waiting for receipt of your EAD. You would not have been given an appointment for the biometrics if you did not have the eligibility to receive the EAD.

The time for this EAD starts in many district offices with the date of the biometrics and not the date of the receipt of your petition.
HI,

Thanks for the reply.

I'm not quite sure what you meant though. When you say I'm not waiting for my EAD to be approved, doesn't it have to be approved online, then you get sent an email from the USCIS website, then they email you again to tell you it's been mailed??

What time starts with the District offices? If I went for my bio yesterday, can I expect to receive it soon?
Old Apr 27th 2006, 7:05 pm
Forum Regular

Hoohay is an unknown quantity at this point

I went for EAD biometrics on March 15th and received the card on March 25th.
No RFE in my case.
They "touched" the online status on March 16th, the day after the biometrics. But they never changed the online status. Today, a month after I received my card, the status still is "Your application was received on such and such......".
So don't get mad checking the online status 5 times a day (as I did).
Old Apr 27th 2006, 7:11 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

HI,

Thanks for the reply.

I'm not quite sure what you meant though. When you say I'm not waiting for my EAD to be approved, doesn't it have to be approved online, then you get sent an email from the USCIS website, then they email you again to tell you it's been mailed??

What time starts with the District offices? If I went for my bio yesterday, can I expect to receive it soon?

That is not approval. If you have a legitimate AOS petition pending, you are entitled to an EAD. It does not have to be approved.

Regardless of the online status not-so-swift-an-idea thingee, you were sent a notice to go for biometrics. That is all there is to it. Now you sit back and wait for the card to arrive in the mail.

The online status site is not does not and will not show an "approval". It will only, if it is updated that is which it usually isn't, show that it has been mailed or touched.

If your DO is willing to do interim EADS then it is sometimes the date of biometrics. Others use the date of receipt of receiving or the cashed check.

Last edited by Rete; Apr 27th 2006 at 7:17 pm.
Old Apr 27th 2006, 7:15 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

HI,

Thanks for the reply.

No, the online status updates don't really have anything to do with the real approvals and such. You may or may not get online updates. It's very unreliable. You're just waiting for the EAD card to show up in the mail, that's all. You may or may not get online status updates or emails reflecting the ongoing activity with your card.

No one quite knows when the clock actually starts ticking. Sometimes it seems to be from the NOA date (either received or notice date), sometimes it's from the biometrics appointment, sometimes it's the time frame from NOA to receiving the card, minus the time before doing biometrics.

If you went for your biometrics yesterday, you should keep an eye on your mailbox for your EAD. If 90 days from the NOA date goes by, and you haven't received the EAD yet, make an Infopass appointment to see about getting an interim EAD.

Best Wishes,
Rene
Old Apr 27th 2006, 7:41 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Noorah101
No, the online status updates don't really have anything to do with the real approvals and such. You may or may not get online updates. It's very unreliable. You're just waiting for the EAD card to show up in the mail, that's all. You may or may not get online status updates or emails reflecting the ongoing activity with your card.

No one quite knows when the clock actually starts ticking. Sometimes it seems to be from the NOA date (either received or notice date), sometimes it's from the biometrics appointment, sometimes it's the time frame from NOA to receiving the card, minus the time before doing biometrics.

If you went for your biometrics yesterday, you should keep an eye on your mailbox for your EAD. If 90 days from the NOA date goes by, and you haven't received the EAD yet, make an Infopass appointment to see about getting an interim EAD.

Best Wishes,
Rene

Hi,

So, I'm past 90 days already (93 at the moment), but I had an RFE for my AOS (details in top post here) which may have delayed my case. I think that makes me inelligble for the interim EAD, for 90 days after the receipt of the RFE information sent back to USCIS.

That's why I'm trying to determine if I can receive it soon as I'm getting pretty desperate, and the interim EAD is still 2 months+ away.

I have an appointment at infopass in Detroit on Monday anyway, I'm hoping to just go down and get some information on whether it has been approved.

Cheers!
Old Apr 27th 2006, 7:45 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Rete
That is not approval. If you have a legitimate AOS petition pending, you are entitled to an EAD. It does not have to be approved.
Ok, so how do i know if I have a legitimate AOS petition pending? After sending back my RFE information, and getting the receipt, nothing has changed on my AOS, or my EAD, but I did receive my bio letter right after my RFE receipt.
Old Apr 27th 2006, 9:17 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Ok, so how do i know if I have a legitimate AOS petition pending? After sending back my RFE information, and getting the receipt, nothing has changed on my AOS, or my EAD, but I did receive my bio letter right after my RFE receipt.
Once you turn in your RFE information, and seeing that they've received it (if you sent via a tracking method), then it's safe to assume you still have a valid pending AOS in progress (until USCIS tells you otherwise).

Since you already have an Infopass appointment, maybe they'll give you the interim EAD there. Please come back and let us know, since we haven't seen anyone get an interim EAD yet.

Best Wishes,
Rene
Old May 13th 2006, 12:41 am
Venus21

> > Ok, so how do i know if I have a legitimate AOS petition pending?
    > > After sending back my RFE information, and getting the receipt,
    > > nothing has changed on my AOS, or my EAD, but I did receive my bio
    > > letter right after my RFE receipt.
    > Once you turn in your RFE information, and seeing that they've
    > received
    > it (if you sent via a tracking method), then it's safe to assume you
    > still have a valid pending AOS in progress (until USCIS tells you
    > otherwise).
    > Since you already have an Infopass appointment, maybe they'll give you
    > the interim EAD there. Please come back and let us know, since we
    > haven't seen anyone get an interim EAD yet.
    > Best Wishes,
    > Rene
    > --

I have a questions concerning the waiting period after biometrics:
I had my fingerprints exactly 3 weeks ago and the status of my i-765
application was updated online the very next day. But to this day I have
not received my EAD in the mail. I am a little worried because it seemed
like everyone was receiving it shortly after the fingerprinting and I
even accepted a job offer and now I don't know what to do...
Can I call USCIS and ask if they approved it or mailed it or should I
just wait and give up on the job?

--
Posted via http://expatforums.com