Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Duty rates for an engagement ring

Wikiposts

Duty rates for an engagement ring

Old Dec 17th 2007, 9:43 am
Just Joined

J-Man is just really niceJ-Man is just really niceJ-Man is just really niceJ-Man is just really niceJ-Man is just really niceJ-Man is just really niceJ-Man is just really niceJ-Man is just really nice
Default Duty rates for an engagement ring

Apologies if this is the incorrect place but it seemed the most appropriate.

I will be travelling from the UK to the United States in February for eleven days to visit my girlfriend (US citizen). I am planning to propose to her with my Grandmother's diamond ring, which was left to me after she passed away and have a few questions (I did a search for similar threads and could only find info about going into Canada):

- Will I have to pay duty on it as it was an item I did not pay any money for as it and it was left to me?

- If I do have to pay duty what rate is this calculated at and will the valuation received from the jeweler for the purposes of her estate be sufficient to calculate the value?

- Is it true that any duty payable can be reclaimed when she moves from the US to the UK within twelve months to live with me.

I know I am not doing anything illegal as I have no intention of overstaying (she's planning to move here) and just want to have all the facts so I'm prepared. I found an area on cbp.gov where you can ask questions but do they just answer your question or do they track you down to give you the 3rd degree (or am I just being paranoid).

And finally I'm aware that ariving with a ring will probably set alarm bells ringing with immigration officer so what should I bring as proof of ties back home? I'll have my mortgage statment and proof of ownership for my house and I'm going to get a letter off work stating when I'm back. Are there any other easy bits of proof?

Thanks for listening and many thanks in advance for any help.
Old Dec 17th 2007, 10:00 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Duty rates for an engagement ring

Originally Posted by J-Man
Apologies...
You seem to be well prepared. No idea on the duty -- keep quiet would be my advice.

The only thing I would add to your list of what to bring is evidence that you are preparing the steps for her visa to come to the UK. A file containing the forms (partially completed maybe?) and with the address and contact details for the Consulate.

Remember only to answer the questions put to you, being truthful but not volunteering any extra information until asked. There are no guarantees, but being ready certainly tips it in your favour. Good luck!
Old Dec 17th 2007, 10:11 am
Just Joined

J-Man is just really niceJ-Man is just really niceJ-Man is just really niceJ-Man is just really niceJ-Man is just really niceJ-Man is just really niceJ-Man is just really niceJ-Man is just really nice

keep quiet would be my advice
That would probably be the cheaper option but I'm a worrier/wuss and would most most likely crack under any pressure. ("Good afternoon sir" - "ok it's a fair cop, I have a ring in my bag ) I also always get searched just before getting on at Manchester and would be paranoid they would ring ahead to Chicago to take me down even though it's two completely different department who probably never speak to each other

The only thing I would add to your list of what to bring is evidence that you are preparing the steps for her visa to come to the UK
I know it sounds daft as I'm going to propose to her but we haven't got to that stage yet. There's a chance she could be able to move with work so we're seeing how that goes first as it would be a lot less hassle and cheaper for us as her employer would be involved.
Old Dec 17th 2007, 10:16 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

I know it sounds daft as I'm going to propose to her but we haven't got to that stage yet. There's a chance she could be able to move with work so we're seeing how that goes first as it would be a lot less hassle and cheaper for us as her employer would be involved.
You could still partially fill in some of her paperwork on your side there and print it out. Doesn't mean you have to continue with that particular set of paperwork. Just enough to show your good intentions.

Rene
Old Dec 17th 2007, 10:20 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

You can still take the forms with you.

http://www.ukvisas.gov.uk/
Old Dec 17th 2007, 10:21 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

You not bringing it in for sale ..nor will be leaving your custody as such
no need to even mention it ...
Old Dec 17th 2007, 10:50 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

I am planning to propose to her with my Grandmother's diamond ring, which was left to me after she passed away.
You are not required to pay US duty on items that you have owned for more than one year. It doesn't matter how it came to you... as long as you've had it more than a year.

Ian
Old Dec 17th 2007, 11:27 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Why would you have to pay duty on an old ring. You didn't buy it and have no receipt for it. It is used goods.
Old Dec 17th 2007, 11:56 pm
I'm back!

Just Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
It is used goods.
She's saying that lovingly, of course. LOL

I agree -- you're not selling it so you're good to go. Good luck on the proposal!

~ Jenney
Old Dec 18th 2007, 1:00 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jenney & Mark
She's saying that lovingly, of course. LOL

I agree -- you're not selling it so you're good to go. Good luck on the proposal!

~ Jenney

Of course, can't imagine any engagement that would have the price tag of "priceless" than the one given through the ages from one generation to the next with love.
Old Dec 18th 2007, 2:33 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
Of course, can't imagine any engagement that would have the price tag of "priceless" than the one given through the ages from one generation to the next with love.
Oh geez... all that lovey-dovey stuff... you're makin' me sick!

Ian
Old Dec 18th 2007, 2:35 am
Concierge

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
Oh geez... all that lovey-dovey stuff... you're makin' me sick!

Ian

One barf bag coming up.
Old Dec 18th 2007, 5:20 am
Just Joined

Thanks for all the advice - I'll just keep it in my bag then.

Thanks for the good luck wish Jenney. We've spoken about our future together so I'm sure she'll say yes but that doesn't make it any less daunting and no doubt I'll be shaking like a leaf when the time comes!
Old Mar 5th 2008, 9:24 am
Just Joined

*Update*
I proposed to Molly the Sunday before last and she accepted

I actually bought a ring from a US online company as decided I wanted to do it with the actual ring rather than having a delay between the proposal and getting the ring so in the end my original question was irrelvant - Sorry

Had a mortgage statement and letter from my boss but they didn't ask for it and got through easy - let's see if it's a little more difficult when I next go to the States and say I'm visiting my fiancee

Thanks everyone one again for your original help
Old Mar 5th 2008, 11:07 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Congratulations!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.