Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Dual us/uk citizen moving to us please help.

Dual us/uk citizen moving to us please help.

Old Jun 30th 2013, 9:45 pm
Just Joined

Tlendon123 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Dual us/uk citizen moving to us please help.

Hi guys very new to this forum stuff!

First of all. I'm a uk/us dual citizen. Born in us and moved to uk
When I was 2. Have decided to move back I will be marrying
Girlfriend in the uk before moving to the states. Will this be possible
Or will the marriage have to take place in the us for her to be able to
Stay?

If so we are prepared to do whatever is necessary to be able to immigrate
To the us.

Any information at all would be hugely appreciated!

Thanks very much.
Old Jun 30th 2013, 9:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dual us/uk citizen moving to us please help.

As a US citizen you can move to the US whenever you like.

You can also get married to your girlfriend wherever you like.

Once you have married your girlfriend you can petition for an immigrant visa for her which will allow her to stay in the US.

You have to apply for (and get) the visa first - she can't just travel to the US with the intention of staying there without an appropriate visa.

Start reading here ...

Last edited by md95065; Jun 30th 2013 at 10:01 pm.
Old Jul 1st 2013, 1:34 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tlendon123
First of all. I'm a uk/us dual citizen. Born in us and moved to uk
When I was 2. Have decided to move back I will be marrying
Stay?

If so we are prepared to do whatever is necessary to be able to immigrate
To the us.
If your girlfriend is not a USC, she will need to get an Immigrant Visa in order to move to the USA. Since you (the USC) lives in the UK right now, you can file the I-130 petition directly to London. It takes about 4 - 6 months for her to get her Immigrant Visa in hand.

Read this link: http://britishexpats.com/wiki/DCF_I-130_Filed_In_London. (The link md95065 points to is for filing the I-130 in the USA. Since you are currently living in the UK, you can read the link I posted which applies to you.

...and then post any visa-related questions in the US Marriage-Based Visa Forum, here: http://britishexpats.com/forum/forum...f=35&styleid=6

Make sure you've filed at least your most current 3 years of US tax returns.

Rene
Old Jul 1st 2013, 1:50 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

I will be marrying
Stay?
I forgot to answer your original main question. Yes, if the marriage is legal in the UK, it will be legal in the USA. You can marry in the UK and then start the immigrant visa process from the UK.

Rene
Old Jul 1st 2013, 12:09 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Noorah101
I forgot to answer your original main question. Yes, if the marriage is legal in the UK, it will be legal in the USA. You can marry in the UK and then start the immigrant visa process from the UK. ....
....... You can marry in the UK the and then you must start the immigrant visa process from UK (or technically any other country would do).
Old Jul 1st 2013, 1:17 pm
Just Joined

Thanks guys!! If we were to file the I-130 that would have to be done after the wedding? Then up to 12 months max recieved the visa?
Also regarding sponsoring could you point me in the right direction for where I'd get more info on how much I'd need to earn to support her or what is need in the bank?

Thanks so much!
Old Jul 1st 2013, 3:29 pm

Thanks guys!! If we were to file the I-130 that would have to be done after the wedding?
Yes.

Then up to 12 months max recieved the visa?
If you file the I-130 directly to London (assuming the USC has lived in the UK for 6+ months prior to filing), the process only takes about 4 - 6 months. I mentioned this in Post 3 in this thread.

Also regarding sponsoring could you point me in the right direction for where I'd get more info on how much I'd need to earn to support her or what is need in the bank?
www.uscis.gov, Forms, I-864 (form and instructions). Also form I-864P for the income guidelines.

Rene
Old Jul 1st 2013, 3:54 pm
Just Joined

Brilliant thanks so much rene. Lots of info there
Your a star!
Old Jul 1st 2013, 11:12 pm
Forum Regular

Married2abrit has a reputation beyond reputeMarried2abrit has a reputation beyond reputeMarried2abrit has a reputation beyond reputeMarried2abrit has a reputation beyond reputeMarried2abrit has a reputation beyond reputeMarried2abrit has a reputation beyond reputeMarried2abrit has a reputation beyond reputeMarried2abrit has a reputation beyond reputeMarried2abrit has a reputation beyond reputeMarried2abrit has a reputation beyond reputeMarried2abrit has a reputation beyond repute

Also, make sure you have registered with Selective services if you are in the age bracket and make sure you are up to date regarding your taxes. Best of luck to you both; I'm off to take some meds due to recent hip surgery.