Dual nationality

Old Sep 18th 2012, 12:11 pm
Banned

JRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to all
Default Dual nationality

If someone were to try to enter the States on a different passport (say Spanish) from the one they had used on a previous trip (say German), would the POE guard pick up on this and would they be questioned?
Old Sep 18th 2012, 12:16 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dual nationality

You would need an ESTA for the second passport - as long as it was approved i see no reason why it would be a problem. The POE might ask though - as it is out of the ordinary.
Old Sep 18th 2012, 12:38 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JRG67
If someone were to try to enter the States on a different passport (say Spanish) from the one they had used on a previous trip (say German), would the POE guard pick up on this and would they be questioned?
You can't use your German passport to enter the US when your prior approved ESTA is linked to your Spanish passport... so, if you have an approved ESTA using your Spanish passport, you'd also need an approved ESTA for the German one... but other than that, it's not going to be an issue. You might get questioned as a matter of curiosity, yes... but there's nothing wrong or illegal with what you intend unless you're using your German passport because you've become ineligible for some reason on your Spanish passport... such as having committed a crime or something.

Ian

Last edited by ian-mstm; Sep 18th 2012 at 12:53 pm.
Old Sep 18th 2012, 1:40 pm
BE Irregular

RICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond repute

I think Germany is one of those countries that does not allow dual citizenship, so maybe not a good theoretical example...
Old Sep 18th 2012, 1:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

Apfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RICH
I think Germany is one of those countries that does not allow dual citizenship, so maybe not a good theoretical example...
The person I share my office with is Polish and recently acquired German citizenship through marriage (without having to give up her Polish citizenship), so it must do, although I believe there are restrictions as to who can get it.
Old Sep 18th 2012, 2:08 pm
BE Irregular

RICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Apfelkuchen
The person I share my office with is Polish and recently acquired German citizenship through marriage (without having to give up her Polish citizenship), so it must do, although I believe there are restrictions as to who can get it.
Crap. Now I have to go and try to figure out why I had that thought
Old Sep 18th 2012, 2:14 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

They allow it, but if you're German, you've got to apply for permission first before getting a second citizenship other wise you do lose German citizenship.
Old Sep 18th 2012, 2:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

Apfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
They allow it, but if you're German, you've got to apply for permission first before getting a second citizenship other wise you do lose German citizenship.
A bit of googling indicates it is only allowed for EU nationals (and then only since 2007, 2003 for France) and a few other exceptions. I haven't looked into it thoroughly, though, so am not sure of the exact requirements.

Edit: That applies to foreign nationals wanting to take German citizenship. I'm don't know if there are restrictions when the situation is reversed.

Last edited by Apfelkuchen; Sep 18th 2012 at 2:25 pm.
Old Sep 18th 2012, 2:26 pm
BE Irregular

Originally Posted by Apfelkuchen
A bit of googling indicates it is only allowed for EU nationals (and then only since 2007, 2003 for France) and a few other exceptions. I haven't looked into it thoroughly, though, so am not sure of the exact requirements.
Yup, it is not particularly straightforward, but it's here mostly:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/German_nationality_law
Old Sep 18th 2012, 4:14 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

I think Germany is one of those countries that does not allow dual citizenship...
Sure it does... but you need their permission.

Ian
Old Sep 18th 2012, 4:55 pm
Banned

JRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to all

I was wondering if using different passports would be a way to enter the States in order to visit a gf/bf? How would POE know?
Old Sep 18th 2012, 4:56 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

I dont understand why you think you would need to do that anyway - unless you intend to visit more frequently on the VWP.
Old Sep 18th 2012, 4:58 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

I was wondering if using different passports would be a way to enter the States in order to visit a gf/bf? How would POE know?
It makes no difference. I don't really understand your question. How would POE know what? How often you are visiting?

You should just assume the POE agent can see everything on his computer linked to your name, regardless of what passport you are using.

Rene
Old Sep 18th 2012, 5:49 pm
nun
BE Forum Addict

nun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
If you are of another nationality and are applying for German citizenship you don't have to give up the first citizenship. But if you were born German you have to get permission to take a second citizenship.
Old Sep 18th 2012, 6:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

Are you suggesting entering on passport 1 staying for 89 days, leaving for a day and then re-entering on passport 2 intending to stay for another 89 days, etc?

Ouch, I would class that as willful abuse of the system. If I were you I would assume the Officers know who you are.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.