Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

DS-230 & DS-2001 send separately or not?

Wikiposts

DS-230 & DS-2001 send separately or not?

Old Jan 7th 2010, 10:24 pm
Forum Regular

frank09 has much to be proud offrank09 has much to be proud offrank09 has much to be proud offrank09 has much to be proud offrank09 has much to be proud offrank09 has much to be proud offrank09 has much to be proud offrank09 has much to be proud offrank09 has much to be proud offrank09 has much to be proud offrank09 has much to be proud of
Default DS-230 & DS-2001 send separately or not?

Hi All.

For those who know me (and for those who don't!) a brief catch up. I am a USC who sent an I-130 to the US embassy for my wife in early November and had her Packet 3 a week later(!). Also tried to apply for USC for my kids but couldnt prove 5 years residence and was advised to go through the IR route for them too. Applied for them end of Nov, receieved their packet 3 yesterday.

At the moment I am awaiting documentation from my sponsor (it will be one fo two people) and as I don't have that paperwork yet I am not ready to send in the DS-2001.

I have read other responses in the past where people have said that the embassy don't look at the DS-230 until they have the Ds-2001. But they do say that the DS-230 should be sent pack immediately upon receiving the Packet 3.

So:

1) Should I send the DS-230's in now before the the Ds-2001 is ready or wait to send both together?

2) Even though they ask for DS-230 part 1, the form is actually Part 1 and Part 2 so should I send in both but only sign Part 1 and send Part 2 too just unsigned?

Thanks everyone for all the help so far... getting there!
Old Jan 8th 2010, 4:22 am

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: DS-230 & DS-2001 send separately or not?

f,

1) I'd do what the instructions ask for.

2) I'd do what the instructions ask for.

Regards, JEff

Originally Posted by frank09
For those who know me (and for those who don't!) a brief catch up. I am a USC who sent an I-130 to the US embassy for my wife in early November and had her Packet 3 a week later(!). Also tried to apply for USC for my kids but couldnt prove 5 years residence and was advised to go through the IR route for them too. Applied for them end of Nov, receieved their packet 3 yesterday.

At the moment I am awaiting documentation from my sponsor (it will be one fo two people) and as I don't have that paperwork yet I am not ready to send in the DS-2001.

I have read other responses in the past where people have said that the embassy don't look at the DS-230 until they have the Ds-2001. But they do say that the DS-230 should be sent pack immediately upon receiving the Packet 3.

So:

1) Should I send the DS-230's in now before the the Ds-2001 is ready or wait to send both together?

2) Even though they ask for DS-230 part 1, the form is actually Part 1 and Part 2 so should I send in both but only sign Part 1 and send Part 2 too just unsigned?
Old Jan 8th 2010, 4:29 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

I would send the DS-230 Part I now, so the Consulate can start the biographical checks they do.

I would send the DS-2001 when I had all the required interview documents.

I would take DS-230 Part II to the interview, unsigned.

http://www.usembassy.org.uk/cons_new...ivprocess.html

What do I do first?

The biographic data form DS-23O-I should be completed for each person applying for a visa, regardless of age. The form may be photocopied if insufficient copies are received for each family member. The DS-230-I should be completed and returned immediately to the Immigrant Visa Unit at the Embassy in order for them to begin the administrative processing of the application. Failure to return the DS-230-I promptly will delay the processing of the application.
Old Jan 9th 2010, 12:02 pm
Forum Regular

frank09 has much to be proud offrank09 has much to be proud offrank09 has much to be proud offrank09 has much to be proud offrank09 has much to be proud offrank09 has much to be proud offrank09 has much to be proud offrank09 has much to be proud offrank09 has much to be proud offrank09 has much to be proud offrank09 has much to be proud of

thanks for the repies! Since posting, the sponsor has been working on the forms and will be DHL'ing them to me this week so I will send the DS230 and DS2001 together to the embassy on Monday.

On the DS 2001 it asks for date of travel which is very difficult to answer seeing as that is dependant on the interview date etc! We would like to be able to put down "Feb 200 - so that the children can start school as soon as possible" , is that a very cheeky thing to write and will it help/hinder/have absolutely no impact at all?

Are we likely weeks or months away from interview now?

Old Jan 9th 2010, 1:11 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Interviews are usually scheduled about a month out from DS-2001. Your answer doesn't sound "too cheeky".. they will accommodate plans if you have them, but some people aren't in a huge rush.
Old Jan 9th 2010, 1:14 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks Mea - I didnt want to sound pushy but I can also see your point that some people would need more time till they will be ready to move. For us, the completion date on the sale of our house is the end of February so we'd be delighted to be in the US when that happens..
Old Jan 11th 2010, 3:11 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by meauxna
Interviews are usually scheduled about a month out from DS-2001. Your answer doesn't sound "too cheeky".. they will accommodate plans if you have them, but some people aren't in a huge rush.
Can I ask what you mean by "usually scheduled about a month out from DS-2001" do you mean they schedule them a month from the date of receiving the DS-2001 or that they send the appointment a month after they receive the DS-2001?
Old Jan 11th 2010, 4:23 am

Reading people's experiences here, people interview aprox one month after returning DS-2001.
Since you have not already sent DS-230, it may take longer for you.
Old Jan 11th 2010, 4:32 am
Forum Regular

Reading people's experiences here, people interview aprox one month after returning DS-2001.
Since you have not already sent DS-230, it may take longer for you.
is the ds-230 part1 processed at the Embassy or is it sent to the States for processing?
Old Jan 11th 2010, 4:34 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

is the ds-230 part1 processed at the Embassy or is it sent to the States for processing?
If you are doing DCF, nothing gets sent to the USA for processing. It's all done in the UK.

Rene
Old Jan 11th 2010, 4:37 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Noorah101
If you are doing DCF, nothing gets sent to the USA for processing. It's all done in the UK.

Rene
thanks for such a quick reply rene! would you have an idea of how long it may take the embassy to process the ds-230 part1 and the DS-2001's if theyre both sent at the same time? I posted everything off today. Does the processing time listed on the embassy website (currently 1 week) apply for processing these documents too, or does that just apply for new cases?
Old Jan 11th 2010, 4:40 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

thanks for such a quick reply rene! would you have an idea of how long it may take the embassy to process the ds-230 part1 and the DS-2001's if theyre both sent at the same time? I posted everything off today. Does the processing time listed on the embassy website (currently 1 week) apply for processing these documents too, or does that just apply for new cases?
Sorry, I don't know much about the current time frames for London. I think meauxna answered your question, though.

Rene
Old Jan 11th 2010, 4:42 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Sorry, I don't know much about the current time frames for London. I think meauxna answered your question, though.

Rene
thanks again - sorry for getting neurotic! Our house is no longer ours as of the end of February and so I'm at the point of wondering if I need to find somewhere to live in the UK in March or if I can hope to be in the US by then
Old Jan 11th 2010, 4:49 am

frank, you can hope all you want. I would still make a contingency plan though.

Hopefully you did indicate on your paperwork what your preferred move date is. I would give it a week for your appointment letter to get back to you and see what it says. You can always request a change in interview date if it doesn't meet your need.

In the meantime, you can troll through old interview posts (recent-old) to find out what others reported.

edit to add: bear in mind that your results may be different from others who had sent the DS-230 in ahead.. there are some security checks the Embassy has to do first and no one has any idea of how long that takes.

Last edited by meauxna; Jan 11th 2010 at 4:52 am.
Old Jan 11th 2010, 4:52 am
Forum Regular

frank, you can hope all you want. I would still make a contingency plan though.

Hopefully you did indicate on your paperwork what your preferred move date is. I would give it a week for your appointment letter to get back to you and see what it says. You can always request a change in interview date if it doesn't meet your need.

In the meantime, you can troll through old interview posts (recent-old) to find out what others reported.

edit to add: bear in mind that your results may be different from others who had sent the DS-230 in ahead.. there are some security checks the Embassy has to do first and no one has any idea of how long that takes.
Trolling at the moment! Such fluctuating experiences! I will take your advice and make our contingency plans. I did indicate on the DS-2001 that we hoped to travel in Feb so the children can start school but I don't expect that to become a major consideration to the people processing it. I am worried about moving around with the kids so many times (move from this house to another house in the uk, then to my parents in the US and finally our own home in the US) but it cant be avoided

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.