Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

DS-156 form and Fiancee

DS-156 form and Fiancee

Old Feb 24th 2004, 7:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute
Default DS-156 form and Fiancee

I have to fill in my DS-156 form and one of the question is about having a fiancee in the U.S. - I do have one and she is a US citizen in Florida.

My visa is an L1-B but I am *not* intending to get married while I am working out there and even if circumstances change I would apply for an AoS.

When I put "yes" to having a fiancee in the U.S. how will it affect my application? and what's the best way to prove I'm not intending to marry on this visa? All I have at the moment is my word and a letter form my employer stating that I'll be returning to the UK in 3 years because of my job.

thanks
-tom
Old Feb 24th 2004, 9:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ivonne is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: DS-156 form and Fiancee

Originally posted by anotherlimey
I have to fill in my DS-156 form and one of the question is about having a fiancee in the U.S. - I do have one and she is a US citizen in Florida.

My visa is an L1-B but I am *not* intending to get married while I am working out there and even if circumstances change I would apply for an AoS.

When I put "yes" to having a fiancee in the U.S. how will it affect my application? and what's the best way to prove I'm not intending to marry on this visa? All I have at the moment is my word and a letter form my employer stating that I'll be returning to the UK in 3 years because of my job.

thanks
-tom
A L1 visa allows dual intent. so you shouldn't have any problems mentioning your fiance in the first place.

But also: what meaning has the word fiancee exactly? today, not much! Why don't you just call her your girlfriend rather than fiancee...and you wouldn't have to mention her at all without lying. At least, in Germany finacee doesn't mean anything (in a legal way)
Old Feb 24th 2004, 10:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Ivonne
A L1 visa allows dual intent. so you shouldn't have any problems mentioning your fiance in the first place.

But also: what meaning has the word fiancee exactly? today, not much! Why don't you just call her your girlfriend rather than fiancee...and you wouldn't have to mention her at all without lying. At least, in Germany finacee doesn't mean anything (in a legal way)

I thought about not putting it on but I don't want to lie and I don't feel I have to; I don't have the wrong intentions but I need to show them I don't.

Thanks for the prompt reply,
-tom
Old Feb 25th 2004, 5:25 am
Ingo Pakleppa - See Web Site For Email

On Tue, 24 Feb 2004 22:43:29 +0000, Ivonne wrote:

> A L1 visa allows dual intent. so
    > you shouldn't have any problems mentioning your fiance in the first
    > place.
    >
    > But also: what meaning has the word fiancee exactly? today, not much!
    > Why don't you just call her your girlfriend rather than fiancee...and
    > you wouldn't have to mention her at all without lying. At least, in
    > Germany finacee doesn't mean anything (in a legal way)

Actually, in US immigration law, fiancee does have a fairly specific
meaning. And fortunately, very few people qualify. A fiancee is somebody
you intend to marry very soon (within 90 days). This is derived from the
definition of a fiancee visa (K-1). Since the OP said he did not intend to
marry her any time soon, he would be entirely in the clear of not calling
her a fiancee.

That said, for an L-1B, it does not matter whether or not you have a
fiancee in the USA, and it would be perfectly OK to intend to marry her.

--
Remember, I am strictly a layperson without any legal training. I encourage
everybody to seek competent legal counsel rather than relying on usenet
newsgroups.

Please support H.R. 539, H.R. 832 and S. 1510. More information at
http://www.kkeane.com/lobbyspousal-faq.shtml

Please visit my new FAQ at http://www.kkeane.com (always under construction)

My email address in usenet posts is now invalid for spam protection. See
my Web site for information on how to contact me.

Please feel free to enjoy some of my photographs at my Web site
http://www.ingopakleppa.com ! Comments are welcome.