ds-156

Old Sep 20th 2012, 9:49 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: ds-156

Originally Posted by aaronjamie
thanks guys, and going on recent timescales, from when they've received the medical report, how long do you think i'll receive my interview?
Probably something like 6 to 8 weeks.

also, can you chase your interview over the telephone?
I'm not sure what you mean by "chase your interview". You will be sent an appointment letter in the mail, I believe.

and are you able to change the interview date if you need to?
Probably, but not without some fear of the request not getting to the right person by the right time, and them not having a record of the change of date...and then when you don't show up on that date, your case is closed due to a "no-show". Much, much better NOT to change it.

Rene
Old Sep 20th 2012, 10:05 pm
Forum Regular

aaronjamie is an unknown quantity at this point

well, the situation is we are going to be getting married november 2, visa or no visa. i know i can still travel before the visa is sorted with the vwp, and we'll have the cemerony and just sort out the marriage certificate when i return after the visa is approved. if i'm having the medical on wednesday, which is the 26th, it means the report would probably get to them by october 1. that gives me four weeks realistically to get an interview, as it'll take a few days to get the passport back from the courier service, correct? so it's most likely to be scheduled the middle to end of november going by the six to eight week estimate. i think i read that when they send you the interview letter, it's arranged for about a month later usually?
Old Sep 20th 2012, 10:15 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

well, the situation is we are going to be getting married november 2, visa or no visa.
If you get married ahead of you entering the US on the K-1 visa, you invalidate the entire process, not to mention any money you've already spent. You'll be stuck outside the US until such time as you get an immigrant visa - another 8-10 months. Yes, you can visit... but, HTG, is that what you really want to happen?

Ian
Old Sep 20th 2012, 10:17 pm
Forum Regular

well, we wouldn't technically be married until i return and we go to the justice of the peace. this would just be the ceremony, no marriage certificate until after the k1 is approved
Old Sep 20th 2012, 10:22 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

well, the situation is we are going to be getting married november 2, visa or no visa.
OK, that's your choice and your right. Just so you know, if you get married before you enter the USA using your K-1 visa, you have to start the process all over for an Immigrant Visa. You can no longer use the K-1 visa.

i know i can still travel before the visa is sorted with the vwp, and we'll have the cemerony and just sort out the marriage certificate when i return after the visa is approved.
What do you mean by "just sort out the marriage certificate .... "? If you get married in the USA on the VWP, you can no longer use the K-1, it becomes void. The K-1 is for unmarried people only. If you marry on the VWP, you are no longer an unmarried person, whether you have the certificate to prove it or not.

if i'm having the medical on wednesday, which is the 26th, it means the report would probably get to them by october 1.
I would say Oct 2, if you're counting 4 working days.

that gives me four weeks realistically to get an interview, as it'll take a few days to get the passport back from the courier service, correct?
Yes.

so it's most likely to be scheduled the middle to end of november going by the six to eight week estimate. i think i read that when they send you the interview letter, it's arranged for about a month later usually?
Yes. It takes a few weeks to get the appointment letter, and the actual appointment date is for a few weeks after that.

You have some choices:

1. Try emailing them or requesting in writing (with your checklist 2001 form) that you would like to have an interview date no later than Sept 21 (to give yourself a week to get your passport back). Let them know you will take any cancellation date that comes up (of course you have to be ready to interview at a moment's notice, maybe just a day or two). Maybe they will comply and you'll get the K-1 in time.

2. If you don't have your K-1 visa in time, postpone the wedding date (sounds like this is a no-go for you).

3. If you dont' have your K-1 visa in time, visit the USA on the VWP and get married anyway, then start the process for an Immigrant Visa (takes 8 to 10 months to process, but you can still visit the USA on the VWP while it's processing).

Rene
Old Sep 20th 2012, 10:22 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

Nothing "technical" about it - you won't be married. But talking as if you are can get you into trouble, so be careful how you express yourself.

Regards, JEff

well, we wouldn't technically be married until i return and we go to the justice of the peace. this would just be the ceremony, no marriage certificate until after the k1 is approved
Old Sep 20th 2012, 10:24 pm

I don't understand. So you'll just have something like a party, and only you will consider yourselves married that that point. It won't be officiated by anyone with any power to marry you...no justice of the peace, no minister, no one authorized to marry you. Correct?

You would not be applying for a marriage license prior to his party/ceremony thing, correct?

In that case, you won't be married. So don't say "we're getting married no matter what". Just consider this a pre-wedding party.

Rene
Old Sep 20th 2012, 10:27 pm
Forum Regular

yeah, no marriage license, just the ceremony. and then do justice of the peace when it is sorted.

i think asking for a date by 21st of september is the best plan, i'll write that letter and send everything off tomorrow. also, do you have the best email address i can send a copy of this letter to?
Old Sep 20th 2012, 10:30 pm

yeah, no marriage license, just the ceremony. and then do justice of the peace when it is sorted.

i think asking for a date by 21st of september is the best plan, i'll write that letter and send everything off tomorrow. also, do you have the best email address i can send a copy of this letter to?
You have to call the 800 number to get a code to put in the subject line of the email, so that your email won't be deleted. It's a code that changes weekly, so you have to pay for the call to get the code of the week.

Sorry, I don't have the phone number or the email address...but I'm sure they are posted on this forum in some threads, or you can use Google.

If you are doing a fancy party/ceremony thing, whatever you do, don't bring pictures of this event to show at your K-1 visa interview. If you show anything that remotely even looks like a wedding, the ConOff might find the need to investigate to make sure you did NOT get married, and that will add time to the process while they research it.

Rene
Old Sep 21st 2012, 11:53 pm
Forum Regular

thanks for the help rene. i have my ds-230, ds-156 x 2, ds-156k, ds-157 x 2 and checklist ds-2001 complete and i'm going to post them tomorrow. in the envelope do i need to include anything else, any passport photos, etc? obviously i'm going to include a freetype letter asking if i can get an interview asap, or by october 21/22/23 if possible
Old Sep 22nd 2012, 1:13 am

thanks for the help rene. i have my ds-230, ds-156 x 2, ds-156k, ds-157 x 2 and checklist ds-2001 complete and i'm going to post them tomorrow. in the envelope do i need to include anything else, any passport photos, etc? obviously i'm going to include a freetype letter asking if i can get an interview asap, or by october 21/22/23 if possible
I'm sorry, I'm not sure how London prefers to get the photos...in the package with the forms or in person at the interview.

Rene
Old Sep 22nd 2012, 10:35 pm
Forum Regular

thanks for the help rene. sent all the completed documents today, with a detailed cover letter urging to get an interview date by 23 october. fingers crossed!