Ds-156

Old Oct 22nd 2002, 4:00 pm
Forum Regular

sjc123 is an unknown quantity at this point
Talking Ds-156

When asked to add "National Identification Number"

Do I type in my National Insurance Number (UK)? I also have a SSN since I used to work in the US. I'm a little confused as to what to type?

Also, am I right in thinking I can submit DS-230 Part 1, DS-156 and DS-156K to the US Embassy here in London while my Fiance is filing the I-129F at the same time?

Any thoughts? Thanks!!
Old Oct 22nd 2002, 4:09 pm
Account Closed

katesuiter is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Ds-156

Originally posted by sjc123:
When asked to add "National Identification Number"

Do I type in my National Insurance Number (UK)? I also have a SSN since I used to work in the US. I'm a little confused as to what to type?

Also, am I right in thinking I can submit DS-230 Part 1, DS-156 and DS-156K to the US Embassy here in London while my Fiance is filing the I-129F at the same time?

Any thoughts? Thanks!!
Yes, you can file your forms while your fiance is filing the petition. And my advice is to do it ASAP. I've done the same, and they've now set up a provisional file and given me a file number. Be very careful which forms you sign though. I was told to only sign the biographical data one, and you sign the rest in front of an official at the embassy. Did you have a IV15 checklist as well? I sent mine off as I already had all the documents, and they didn't say I shouldn't have, but I'm assuming they'll send another if I need it. As soon as we get approved, we can also send our approval notice direct to them, rather than wait for Texas to send the file, and they'll schedule an interview that way. (We've been waiting 35 days so far for approval, and still counting!!! I sympathise with everyone who's been waiting months.)

As for the NI number, I'm not too sure about that, I'm afraid, and I wouldn't like to guess.

Best of luck.

Kate. xxxxxxxxxxx
Old Oct 22nd 2002, 4:29 pm
Forum Regular

sjc123 is an unknown quantity at this point

Kate, you are a STAR! I will send those forms off immediately... will check on the IV15...

Still unsure about the NI number tho - hopefully I'll find some info on the forums!

Not sure what you mean regarding the approval notice? Are you saying that my Fiance will get an I-129F approval which she can fax to the US Embassy in London to speed up the interview date??

GOOD LUCK with everything!

Now I'm going to tackle the DS-0230!!! Fun fun fun!

Originally posted by katesuiter:

Yes, you can file your forms while your fiance is filing the petition. And my advice is to do it ASAP. I've done the same, and they've now set up a provisional file and given me a file number. Be very careful which forms you sign though. I was told to only sign the biographical data one, and you sign the rest in front of an official at the embassy. Did you have a IV15 checklist as well? I sent mine off as I already had all the documents, and they didn't say I shouldn't have, but I'm assuming they'll send another if I need it. As soon as we get approved, we can also send our approval notice direct to them, rather than wait for Texas to send the file, and they'll schedule an interview that way. (We've been waiting 35 days so far for approval, and still counting!!! I sympathise with everyone who's been waiting months.)

As for the NI number, I'm not too sure about that, I'm afraid, and I wouldn't like to guess.

Best of luck.

Kate. xxxxxxxxxxx
Old Oct 22nd 2002, 4:52 pm
Account Closed

Originally posted by sjc123:

Not sure what you mean regarding the approval notice? Are you saying that my Fiance will get an I-129F approval which she can fax to the US Embassy in London to speed up the interview date??

Hi again!
Sorry I wasn't clear on that one. Spend most of time time with my head in the clouds these days!!! Heh heh!!!
I asked the embassy how I could help along a date for an interview once we're approved, coz I really didn't want to have to wait on Texas to send our petition through diplomatic pouch. They said that once your INS centre gives you approval (2nd NOA), you can get your fiance to send to London the ORIGINAL approval notice that she'll receive in the post, and when London have that, they can arrange an interview. I'm not entirely sure, but I reckon this will shave weeks off your waiting time, and London have said it'll speed things up, although they weren't too emphatic about how MUCH time it would save. They said it has to be the original though, as they won't accept copies or faxed approvals.
As for the checklist, you should have got that with the forms you have to fill in, unless you downloaded them. It's worth having in advance, coz it tells you exactly what docs you need to collect for the interview. But you also need this as it's a very important part of your file. As I sent mine off with my other forms, I'm not certain if you take this to the interview or you send it off beforehand. I think it's the latter.
I'd also highly recommend emailing the embassy if you have any doubts about what to do next. They ROCK!!!!!! They always get back to me the next day when I email them, and they're very helpful.

Hope this helps.
Luv Kate. xxxxxxxxx

Last edited by katesuiter; Oct 22nd 2002 at 5:01 pm.
Old Oct 23rd 2002, 12:51 am
BE Enthusiast

katnap8 is a name known to allkatnap8 is a name known to allkatnap8 is a name known to allkatnap8 is a name known to allkatnap8 is a name known to allkatnap8 is a name known to allkatnap8 is a name known to allkatnap8 is a name known to allkatnap8 is a name known to allkatnap8 is a name known to allkatnap8 is a name known to all

Yes, you can file your forms while your fiance is filing the petition. And my advice is to do it ASAP. I've done the same, and they've now set up a provisional file and given me a file number. Be very careful which forms you sign though. I was told to only sign the biographical data one, and you sign the rest in front of an official at the embassy.

Hi, I'm assuming that the forms you're referring to, to set up a provisional file are the DS-156, DS-156K and the DS-230. Of those three forms, which one (s) did you sign. I thought you weren't suppose to sign any. My fiance is sending out his forms later this week or early next week. Please let us know as soon as you can. Thank you in advance. Good luck on your visa
Old Oct 23rd 2002, 12:59 am
Account Closed

Originally posted by katnap8:

Hi, I'm assuming that the forms you're referring to, to set up a provisional file are the DS-156, DS-156K and the DS-230. Of those three forms, which one (s) did you sign. I thought you weren't suppose to sign any. My fiance is sending out his forms later this week or early next week. Please let us know as soon as you can. Thank you in advance. Good luck on your visa
Hello!!
I was only told to sign the DS230. This is the biographical data one. Don't sign DS156 or DS156K. These are signed at the interview. Did your fiance download his forms, or order them from the embassy? I gather he's going through London?
Kate.
xxxxxxxx

Last edited by katesuiter; Oct 23rd 2002 at 1:25 am.
Old Oct 23rd 2002, 1:28 am
BE Enthusiast

katnap8 is a name known to allkatnap8 is a name known to allkatnap8 is a name known to allkatnap8 is a name known to allkatnap8 is a name known to allkatnap8 is a name known to allkatnap8 is a name known to allkatnap8 is a name known to allkatnap8 is a name known to allkatnap8 is a name known to allkatnap8 is a name known to all

Hello!!
I was only told to sign the DS230. This is the biographical data one. Don't sign DS156 or DS156K. These are signed at the interview. Did your fiance download his forms, or order them from the embassy. I gather he's going through London?
Kate.
xxxxxxxx
Hi again...thanks for responding so soon. You're up rather early. I downloaded the forms, and now I'm reading that you're suppose to fill out 2 DS-156 forms, is that true.?He's going through London.
Old Oct 23rd 2002, 2:03 am
Account Closed

Originally posted by katnap8:

Hi again...thanks for responding so soon. You're up rather early. I downloaded the forms, and now I'm reading that you're suppose to fill out 2 DS-156 forms, is that true.?He's going through London.
I don't sleep!! I'm a really weird bird, and for some reason, as soon as my head hits the pillow, I'm wide awake!!!!

Ok, as you downloaded the forms, you will need another DS-156. You need to fill out 2 identical copies and send them with the DS230 and DS156K. Lord knows why they want two, but such is life!!!!

If you haven't got it already, the embassy also send the checklist IV15 with the forms you have. This tells you all the supporting documents he'll need for his interview. I already had all my docs, so I signed and sent the checklist with the other forms. If your fiance doesn't have all his docs, he'll need to keep this until he has them all.
If he hasn't applied for a police certificate yet, he should do it now, as this can take up to 40 days. He goes to the local police station with some ID (I took my passport and a utility bill.) and tells them he wants to apply for a Data Protection Certificate for a visa. This will cost £10. Be warned though, tell him not to hand his ID over to be sent off. I did, and my passport got lost in their system. The whole point of going to the police is so you don't have to part with your docs.

If your blokey needs solid info fast, tell him to email the embassy on

[email protected]

I can't fault them where emailing's concerned, they always give me a response the next day.