Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Does employment status matter for K3?

Wikiposts

Does employment status matter for K3?

Old May 24th 2004, 1:33 pm
Forum Regular

kebuchan is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Does employment status matter for K3?

Hi all,

I'm Canadian, got married to my wife a few months ago, applied for I-130 and then 129F(K3). Since then we decided we don't want to live apart anymore so we moved to Windsor. I have an apartment in Windsor and she works in Detroit and "visits" me daily. We're doing this until I get my K3.

I quit my job in order to do this, else we'd have to live apart and she was really upset about that so talked me into quitting. Also since we're going to be living in the US it made no sense for her to quit a good job that she liked.

Anyways, the question is when we submitted the apps, I was employed. Now I'm not. Does that matter? ie. would it come up at the interview and can they give me a hard time for being "unemployed"? I could easily get a job in the US but was told not to mess with a TN visa when my K3 is in process.

My wife is employed and we can easily live on either one of our incomes, so I didn't think it would be an issue. However, now I 'm begining to panic...

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Old May 24th 2004, 3:02 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Does employment status matter for K3?

Your income or lack thereof is not an issue for the K-3, or for a K-1, or even for an I-130 immediate relative visa. It is only the USCs income that is important as they have to be your financial sponsor. Although since the K-3 is taking so long these days you might want to find employment just to keep you from going buggy.

Rete

Originally posted by kebuchan
Hi all,

I'm Canadian, got married to my wife a few months ago, applied for I-130 and then 129F(K3). Since then we decided we don't want to live apart anymore so we moved to Windsor. I have an apartment in Windsor and she works in Detroit and "visits" me daily. We're doing this until I get my K3.

I quit my job in order to do this, else we'd have to live apart and she was really upset about that so talked me into quitting. Also since we're going to be living in the US it made no sense for her to quit a good job that she liked.

Anyways, the question is when we submitted the apps, I was employed. Now I'm not. Does that matter? ie. would it come up at the interview and can they give me a hard time for being "unemployed"? I could easily get a job in the US but was told not to mess with a TN visa when my K3 is in process.

My wife is employed and we can easily live on either one of our incomes, so I didn't think it would be an issue. However, now I 'm begining to panic...

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Old May 25th 2004, 12:40 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Does employment status matter for K3?

Hi there! I don't have anything to add, but I did want to mention that I lived in Windsor for 10 years (73-83). I did my undergrad and graduate work at U of Windsor. If you haven't yet, try the Tunnel BBQ (if it's still there) - fantastic ribs! Every time my wife and I head north to visit her Detroit-based family, we hop across the border for some good ribs. Best of luck to you.

Ian

Originally posted by kebuchan