Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

does the airport matter?

does the airport matter?

Old Oct 6th 2003, 3:43 am
Forum Regular

Lucas03 is an unknown quantity at this point

All 'K' visas have the same "work authorization" granted by the BCIS. It's just that the process of proving the authorization to the SS Administration (for purpose of getting SSN) differs between the K1 and K3. I would guess this is just because the SSA hasn't bothered to realize that the K3 visas out there are work authorized just as much as the K1.
As far as obtaining the physical card itself, which employers are required to actually see, that's a matter of "applying" for it from BCIS. And that is the same process for all "K"s.
Old Oct 6th 2003, 3:57 am
BE Forum Addict

HunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: does the airport matter?

Originally posted by doctor scrumpy
Damn, worried about my dog getting out of the crate. 11 hours between check in and arriving in the USA. Not keen on him having too long a wait in customs
I hope you made sure to get your dog a K9 visa?

(I received some very good (non immigration related) news just minutes ago and I couldn't resist, since I'm busy being all giddy... LOL! Please accept my humble apologies for this lame joke ).
Old Oct 6th 2003, 4:33 am
Andy Platt

"HunterGreen" <member@british_expats.com> wrote:

> I hope you made sure to get your dog a K9 visa?

An old joke that resurfaces every year or so!

Andy.

--
I'm not really here - it's just your warped imagination.

Old Oct 6th 2003, 6:51 am
K1 via London

Steffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond repute

I just thought I'd add to this: When I entered on my K1 visa at the Detroit POE (with a connection to Atlanta) I was NOT given a I-551 stamp. At the time of entry I was a bit nervous about everything and it didn't even cross my mind to ask why I hadn't gotten it. So I called the phone line once I was in Atlanta (after people on here said they got one) and was told that as a K1 I wasn't supposed to get a I-551 stamp.
Old Oct 6th 2003, 7:58 am
Kristin

Steffi - You continue to confuse two stamps:

The I-551 stamp is the stamp that I-130 visa holders who are processed
at the consulate get when they enter the US.

The EAD stamp is the stamp that K-1s (and only K-1s) get when they cross
the border if they are very lucky.

They are not the same. You were not eligible for or entitled to the
I-551 stamp when you entered in Detroit on your K-1. You were eligible
for the EAD stamp. If it makes you feel any better, Detroit Metro
Airport does not give out the EAD stamp, so failing to ask for it didn't
hurt you, because even if you had asked, they would have told you they
don't give it out.

You will not see the I-551 stamp unti you get approved at your AOS
interview. In the interim, you may get a 1-year EAD, which is not a
stamp, but is a physical card with your fingerprint and photo on it.

I hope that makes things more clear. You may want to read the K-1 FAQ
so you understand the entire AOS process, including what all these
obscure stamps and numbers mean:

http://bcis.stephenpalik.com/faq/k1faq.htm

Steffi wrote:
    > I just thought I'd add to this: When I entered on my K1 visa at the
    > Detroit POE (with a connection to Atlanta) I was NOT given a I-551
    > stamp. At the time of entry I was a bit nervous about everything and it
    > didn't even cross my mind to ask why I hadn't gotten it. So I called the
    > phone line once I was in Atlanta (after people on here said they got
    > one) and was told that as a K1 I wasn't supposed to get a I-551 stamp.
    >
    >
    > --
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Old Oct 6th 2003, 8:12 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Steffi
I just thought I'd add to this: When I entered on my K1 visa at the Detroit POE (with a connection to Atlanta) I was NOT given a I-551 stamp. At the time of entry I was a bit nervous about everything and it didn't even cross my mind to ask why I hadn't gotten it. So I called the phone line once I was in Atlanta (after people on here said they got one) and was told that as a K1 I wasn't supposed to get a I-551 stamp.
Maybe you were looking for an EAD/work permit stamp? K1s sometimes get those at the POE.

I-551 is what Permanent Residents get; either upon entry with an Immigrant Visa or (Ks) after Adjustment of Status (AOS). It's the part that is your Green Card (basically).
Old Oct 6th 2003, 8:21 am
K1 via London

Steffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by meauxna
Maybe you were looking for an EAD/work permit stamp? K1s sometimes get those at the POE.
Yeah. Well I wasn't given one of those "I-551 employment authorization" stamps...since other people on this board said they have.
Old Oct 6th 2003, 9:47 am
Mrtravel

Foxhound wrote:

> Thank you all!
    > Very helpful.
    > She'll come straight to Dallas, and we won't worry about a thing. :-D>

That great.. I don't know how secondary inspection is there, but I went
through Immigration there in June and September (from Cancun vacation,
and Mex City work) and there was there wasn't much of a line for normal
inspection. Once I walked right up to the desk and the last time I had
to wait for one person to clear before I got to see someone. It was a
breeze..

Old Oct 6th 2003, 9:49 am
Mrtravel

Steffi wrote:

> Originally posted by meauxna
    >
    >
    >>Maybe you were looking for an EAD/work permit stamp? K1s sometimes get
    >>those at the POE.
    >
    >
    > Yeah. Well I wasn't given one of those "I-551 employment authorization"
    > stamps...since other people on this board said they have.

Again... I-551 is the Green Card. If you get an I-551 stamp that means
you entered on an immigrant visa, not a K visa.

Old Oct 6th 2003, 10:21 am
Forum Regular

Tracy and Dave is an unknown quantity at this point

Yeah. Well I wasn't given one of those "I-551 employment authorization" stamps...since other people on this board said they have.
The people who have gotten the I-551 stamp at the airport didn't enter as K-1 or K-3 though. They filed the I-130 and it was processed at the consulate -- as either DCF or with the spouse filing stateside for the I-130.

I'll bet that there isn't anyone who came in on any sort of K visa that was given the I-551 at the airport.
Old Oct 6th 2003, 10:22 am

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

Steffi,

You weren't given "one of those "I-551 employment authorization" stamps" because there is no such thing.

The I-551 stamp is the stamp equivalent of the Permanent Resident Card, aka the 'Green Card'.

Old Oct 6th 2003, 10:25 am
K1 via London

Sorry, I was just copying what someone else had said...

Originally posted by J Freeman
Can you tell me if when one enters on a K-3 they receive the "I-551"
employment authorization automatically
I guess in that case I didn't get my EAD stamp when I entered the country. Would that be the correct thing?
Old Oct 6th 2003, 10:39 am

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

Steffi,

Sorry, I was just copying what someone else had said...
A dangerous thing to do :-)

I guess in that case I didn't get my EAD stamp when I entered the country. Would that be the correct thing?
That would be correct!
Old Oct 6th 2003, 10:45 am
K1 via London

Just to clarify again...I did NOT get my EAD stamp when I entered via the Detroit POE!

(As opposed to my mistake of calling it the "I-551"...sorry guys!)
Old Oct 6th 2003, 10:53 am
Forum Regular

Location: Ex Teesside, England Now in Edgewater, Maryland USA
Daveyboy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by HunterGreen
I hope you made sure to get your dog a K9 visa?

(I received some very good (non immigration related) news just minutes ago and I couldn't resist, since I'm busy being all giddy... LOL! Please accept my humble apologies for this lame joke ).
Well your joke made ME laugh mate.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.