Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Documents for Interview

Documents for Interview

Old Jun 5th 2012, 6:01 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Documents for Interview

Originally Posted by scollinguk
Hi Rene,

I have just checked on the I-864A instructions and its states this:

Form I-864A may only be used when a sponsor's income and
assets do not meet the income requirements of Form I-864 and
the qualifying household member chooses to combine his or
her resources with the income and/or assets of a sponsor to
meet the requirements. The obligations of the household
member under this contract terminate when the obligations of
the sponsor under the Affidavit of Support terminate.

As my FIL's income does cover the income requirements of the I-864 do I need to do this or am I misreading this statement?

As my FIL is filling a I-864 that makes him a 'sponsor' correct, or is my wife the 'sponsor' (in which case what it the terminology for my FIL (a household member?).

Not sure if my nervous frustration is making me confused now too.
Here's how it goes:

Your wife is the Sponsor, even though she doesn't meet the income requirement. She is using her father's income to meet the requirements. There are two ways of doing this:

1. Father acts as Joint Sponsor and fills out an I-864 of his own, which is what you've done. But since you'll all be living under one roof, the ConOff might want the Father to be a contributing household member instead;

2. Father acts as Contributing Household Member. His income gets combined with your wife's income on her I-864, and they do an I-864A which is an agreement between the two of them that allows his income to be used on her I-864.

So in order to present it both ways, you would need:

Scenario 1, Joint Sponsor: An I-864 from your wife with her individual income and backup documents. An I-864 from Father with his individual income and backup documents. This is what you have now.

Scenario 2, Contributing Household Member: An I-864 from your wife showing her income PLUS father's income, plus backup documents proving income. An I-864A from Father giving agreement to use his income. This scenario also needs some documentation showing that their relationship (her birth certificate showing father's name would work), and proof that they live at one address (letter from father would do this, among other things).

If you don't want to go through the trouble right now of doing Scenario 2, you can go to the interview with Scenario 1 in hand, and then if the ConOff wants it another way, she'll let you know and give you time to return things to her. Visa approval will be suspended until then.

Rene

Last edited by Noorah101; Jun 5th 2012 at 6:04 pm.
Old Jun 5th 2012, 9:33 pm
Just Joined

scollinguk is an unknown quantity at this point

Ahh, what youare saying makes sence now!

However, me and my wife both currently live in the UK (my wife has lived in the UK since she was three as she has indefinate leave to remain through her mother) so I would assume that means that we are filling out the I-864A as it would be if we were there, is that correct?

Thank again for the help!
Old Jun 5th 2012, 9:36 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scollinguk
However, me and my wife both currently live in the UK (my wife has lived in the UK since she was three as she has indefinate leave to remain through her mother) so I would assume that means that we are filling out the I-864A as it would be if we were there, is that correct?
Correct.

Rene