Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

do you need k3-visa for I-130?

do you need k3-visa for I-130?

Old Feb 27th 2004, 7:43 pm
Forum Regular

flower6 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default do you need k3-visa for I-130?

If you file for I-130 and 129F and decide not to do K-3visa can you wait for I-130 to be approved? Are they 2 different things? Do you have to have a K-3visa to get the I-130?
Old Feb 27th 2004, 10:34 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: do you need k3-visa for I-130?

Originally posted by flower6
If you file for I-130 and 129F and decide not to do K-3visa can you wait for I-130 to be approved? Are they 2 different things? Do you have to have a K-3visa to get the I-130?
yes.
yes.
no.

If he's still in the UK and the I-130 matures, that will cut travel and other expense out of the equation for you.

USCs resident in the UK can file the I-130 directly at the Consulate in London with a decision and resulting Immigrant visa in less than 6 months.
Old Feb 28th 2004, 3:46 am
Dorf_mann

flower6 <member21428@british_expats.com> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > If you file for I-130 and 129F and decide not to do K-3visa can you wait
    > for I-130 to be approved? Are they 2 different things? Do you have to
    > have a K-3visa to get the I-130?

Are you married?...I-130 is for married people, 129F is for unmarried
people, and the K-3 is filed for either (I believe) although don't
hold me to that...I filed a 130 (we were married overseas) and then
filed the K-3 here in the USA in hopes it would be quicker...nothing
is fast so don't count on anything quick...you DO NOT need a K-3 for
an I-130 although its an option to try and speed up a turtle pace
being set by most Homeland Immigration services...best wishes

Old Feb 28th 2004, 5:59 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Dorf_mann Are you married?...I-130 is for married people, 129F is for unmarried
people, and the K-3 is filed for either (I believe) although don't
hold me to that...
129-F is the petition for fiance, true. It is also the petition that, when filed after an I-130 for spouse, is used to obtain permission to apply for the K3 visa.
As you more or less said, the K3 is to speed up reunion of the couple. The I-130 takes so long to approve that the K3 was recently invented to allow the alien spouse to come to the US to wait out I-130 approval (they also have the option to AOS once Stateside).