Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Divorce and Conditional Green Card

Divorce and Conditional Green Card

Old Apr 9th 2008, 7:12 am
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Divorce and Conditional Green Card

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Just out of curiosity, why?
The way he entered - short-term visa
Duration of marriage
Male claiming abuse by female spouse
+ doesn't appear to be clued up on immigration matters........ not sure about his English skills... attention to detail......... ability to differentiate between what's important/relevant and what isn't...

IMHO a 1-time consultation - at the very least - would help him tremendously.

Better safe than sorry!
Old Apr 9th 2008, 7:32 am
Just Joined

Bostancik_VT is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Elvira
I don't think yours is a DIY project - you need an immigration attorney.
I'm not planning to file a divorce, I'm planning to same our marriage. What is a DIY project?
Old Apr 9th 2008, 7:36 am
Forum Regular

olliewat has much to be proud ofolliewat has much to be proud ofolliewat has much to be proud ofolliewat has much to be proud ofolliewat has much to be proud ofolliewat has much to be proud ofolliewat has much to be proud ofolliewat has much to be proud ofolliewat has much to be proud ofolliewat has much to be proud ofolliewat has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Bostancik_VT
I'm not planning to file a divorce, I'm planning to same our marriage.
Really?

Well, then after what you said in your original post, you need a counselor - not immigration advice.
Old Apr 9th 2008, 7:37 am
Just Joined

IMHO a 1-time consultation - at the very least - would help him tremendously

My wife, she planning to file the divorce, not me.
What's a IMHO?
Old Apr 9th 2008, 7:46 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

What's a IMHO?
Google is your friend: http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=imho.

Ian
Old Apr 9th 2008, 7:52 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not planning to file a divorce, I'm planning to same our marriage. What is a DIY project?
DIY = Do-it-yourself.
IMHO = In My Honest Opinion.

So, not sure what kind of advice you are looking for then? Your wife wants a divorce. You want to save your marriage. You are a Conditional PR. What kind of advice do you want?

If you want to try to save your marriage, try going to counseling, even if she won't go. Just go on your own.

You can wait for her to actually file divorce, and in the meantime you have to put up with her actions (which seems to bother you). When it comes time to remove the conditions, hopefully your marriage will be intact and you guys can file a joint petition. If you guys are not together, you will have to decide what to do at that time, because if you don't file a joint petition AND you also don't get divorced and file it on your own, you will become out of status and deportable.

But until a divorce happens, no matter who initiates it, there's nothing you need to do immigration-wise.

Good luck,
Rene
Old Apr 9th 2008, 7:54 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not planning to file a divorce, I'm planning to same our marriage.
Why do you want to save the marriage? This person no longer wants to be married to you? In the US, the partner does *not* have to agree to divorce. Someone starts the process... and when one of you is divorced, the other one is also.

What is a DIY project?
DIY - do it yourself.

Ian
Old Apr 9th 2008, 8:01 am
Just Joined

Thank you Rene for your message, things start to be more simple to understand for me.
Old Apr 9th 2008, 8:46 am
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

IMHO a 1-time consultation - at the very least - would help him tremendously

My wife, she planning to file the divorce, not me.
What's a IMHO?
Hi:

IMHO is old e-mail speak for "In My Humble Opinion." IMHO, the "humble" part is somewhat sarcastic.

Do see that attorney -- from your description, YOU may want to file first, see about stay-away-order, and then file a "Battered-spouse" I-751. When the dissolution is final, you may then want to file the "good faith" waiver I-751.

I recommend an immigration lawyer HIGHLY. Some of the suggestions of what you should do are "counter-intuitive."

Do note that I have not seen your file or paperwork. Although I may be a lawyer, I am not YOUR lawyer. The above notation is simply off-the-top-of-my-head thoughts and should not be considered legal advice.

Do consult with a knowledgable lawyer. Good luck.
Old Apr 9th 2008, 9:01 am
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Folinskyinla
Hi:

IMHO is old e-mail speak for "In My Humble Opinion." IMHO, the "humble" part is somewhat sarcastic.............
Oh dear.......... I saw it more as shorthand for "I am not a lawyer... I may be talking out of my Rs - but this is what I think"...
Old Apr 9th 2008, 9:02 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Oh dear.......... I saw it more as shorthand for "I am not a lawyer... I may be talking out of my Rs - but this is what I think"...
'Old'
Old Apr 9th 2008, 9:05 am
Homebody

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
'Old'
Oops!
Old Apr 9th 2008, 9:17 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Oh, I've not ever thought of it *that* way (but bonus for the 'Rs'.. haven't seen that one yet, lol).

IMHO can also be 'In my honest opinion' which is just a slightly stronger version of IMO.
Old Apr 9th 2008, 11:37 am
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

"I am not a lawyer"
INAL = I'm Not A Lawyer

I for one have never used "INAL" on the InterNet.
Old Apr 9th 2008, 1:16 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Folinskyinla
INAL = I'm Not A Lawyer

I for one have never used "INAL" on the InterNet.
IAALBIANYL = Folinsky credo.

Wow, you could save a lot of time with that one! <g>
Maybe that one is too long. How about IALBNYL?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.