Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Divorce Before filling I-751

Divorce Before filling I-751

Old May 4th 2004, 1:53 pm
Just Joined

lindausa is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Divorce Before filling I-751

I was wondering how many people here filling I-751 as waiver (divorce after getting conditional green card)?

I would like to share your experience.

thanks

Linda
Old May 4th 2004, 2:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

AGUILA is a jewel in the roughAGUILA is a jewel in the roughAGUILA is a jewel in the roughAGUILA is a jewel in the roughAGUILA is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Divorce Before filling I-751

Originally posted by lindausa
I was wondering how many people here filling I-751 as waiver (divorce after getting conditional green card)?

I would like to share your experience.

thanks

Linda
I filed a Joint I-751 but in the middle of the process got divorced and re filed I-751 based on waiver grounds...my case should be coming up for adjudication within this month...
Old May 4th 2004, 2:55 pm
Just Joined

Originally posted by AGUILA
I filed a Joint I-751 but in the middle of the process got divorced and re filed I-751 based on waiver grounds...my case should be coming up for adjudication within this month...
Thank you for pompt reply. Please keep me post about your processing.
Old May 4th 2004, 3:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

AGUILA is a jewel in the roughAGUILA is a jewel in the roughAGUILA is a jewel in the roughAGUILA is a jewel in the roughAGUILA is a jewel in the rough

Thank you for pompt reply. Please keep me post about your processing.
Are you filing I-751 with a waiver of the joint filing requirement based on divorce?
Old May 4th 2004, 5:22 pm
Just Joined

Are you filing I-751 with a waiver of the joint filing requirement based on divorce?
Not yet, we are sepreate now. I want to know more about filling I-751 as a waiver.

BTW, when will be your interview? did you fill through vcs?
Old May 4th 2004, 6:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

Not yet, we are sepreate now. I want to know more about filling I-751 as a waiver.

BTW, when will be your interview? did you fill through vcs?
You must have your divorce finalized prior to filing I-751 also, you can file I-751 as soon as your divorce is final rather than waiting 90 days prior to the expiration of your green card.

You must have lots of evidences about the bona fide nature of your marriage, including affidavits from at least 2-3 people that knew about the relationship, bank accounts together, joint income tax returns, insurance policies etc...
Old May 4th 2004, 7:43 pm
Just Joined

You must have your divorce finalized prior to filing I-751 also, you can file I-751 as soon as your divorce is final rather than waiting 90 days prior to the expiration of your green card.

You must have lots of evidences about the bona fide nature of your marriage, including affidavits from at least 2-3 people that knew about the relationship, bank accounts together, joint income tax returns, insurance policies etc...
I have more than you mentioned except joint income tax return, Is it a problem? Do I need to hire lawyer?

Thanks
Old May 4th 2004, 8:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

I have more than you mentioned except joint income tax return, Is it a problem? Do I need to hire lawyer?

Thanks
A waiver case is advisable to be filed with an attorney, I had done extensive research myself on this issue [10 months] before actually filing it, in adittion, I also filed for the 'subjected to extreme mental cruelty' waiver as well.

Do you think your husband would give you an affidavit stating that the marriage was bona fide but it just did not work out? income tax returns are the best proof to show comingling of assets...did you file income tax returns separately during the life of the marriage? how long after getting conditional green card did you get separated? when did you marry?
Old May 4th 2004, 8:26 pm
Just Joined

A waiver case is advisable to be filed with an attorney, I had done extensive research myself on this issue [10 months] before actually filing it, in adittion, I also filed for the 'subjected to extreme mental cruelty' waiver as well.

Do you think your husband would give you an affidavit stating that the marriage was bona fide but it just did not work out? income tax returns are the best proof to show comingling of assets...did you file income tax returns separately during the life of the marriage? how long after getting conditional green card did you get separated? when did you marry?
I think I would hire a lawyer when the I-751 interview comes. I do not think my husband will state anything for me. We separted 6 months after I got my conditional green card which is last month for filling the tax.
Old May 4th 2004, 8:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

I think I would hire a lawyer when the I-751 interview comes. I do not think my husband will state anything for me. We separted 6 months after I got my conditional green card which is last month for filling the tax.
Have my email address: [email protected], I could give you some hints as to how to assemble the package to file..is there any divorce proceeding going on right now? Did you find out the divorce laws of your state? are you concious that it takes time to get a divorce? do you have children with your husband? was there any verbal, emotional or phsysical abuse from your husband? did you end up in bad terms with your husband?

Try to answer me these questions at my email address ok...
Old May 4th 2004, 8:46 pm
Just Joined

Have my email address: [email protected], I could give you some hints as to how to assemble the package to file..is there any divorce proceeding going on right now? Did you find out the divorce laws of your state? are you concious that it takes time to get a divorce? do you have children with your husband? was there any verbal, emotional or phsysical abuse from your husband? did you end up in bad terms with your husband?

Try to answer me these questions at my email address ok...
Have replied to your email. please check it. thank you
Old May 4th 2004, 10:09 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Have replied to your email. please check it. thank you
As a long time member of this newsgroup, I am glad you were able to hook up with someone who is in the same situation as you are.

However, I would strongly recommend against using only personal e-mail advise for any do-it-yourself filings of petitions. With the exception of only two members of the NG, Mr. Folinskyinla and Mr. Udall, none of us are immigration attorneys. Our situations may vary by only a degree or two but our experiences, while helpful to you, may not fit you. You need to gather information from all sources if you are not retaining an immigration attorney to handle your petition and should never rely only on the advice of one individual.

If you cannot or do not want to retain an immigration attorney, I would strongly advise you to at minimum get a consulation with one before you file. It is your future status in the US that you are dealing with and all care and attention should be paid to your filing to ensure a successful end result.

Rete
Old May 5th 2004, 12:17 am
Just Joined

Originally posted by Rete
As a long time member of this newsgroup, I am glad you were able to hook up with someone who is in the same situation as you are.

However, I would strongly recommend against using only personal e-mail advise for any do-it-yourself filings of petitions. With the exception of only two members of the NG, Mr. Folinskyinla and Mr. Udall, none of us are immigration attorneys. Our situations may vary by only a degree or two but our experiences, while helpful to you, may not fit you. You need to gather information from all sources if you are not retaining an immigration attorney to handle your petition and should never rely only on the advice of one individual.

If you cannot or do not want to retain an immigration attorney, I would strongly advise you to at minimum get a consulation with one before you file. It is your future status in the US that you are dealing with and all care and attention should be paid to your filing to ensure a successful end result.

Rete
I am new here. Please forgive me if I did anything improperly.

Unexpect things happened on me, I am handless. I want to learn more from here.
Old May 5th 2004, 12:55 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

I am new here. Please forgive me if I did anything improperly.

Unexpect things happened on me, I am handless. I want to learn more from here.
You didn't do any improper. Why would you even think such a thing. I was giving you my opinion about relying on personal correspondence as sole advice for USCIS petitioning.

I strongly urge you to learn all you can. It is the correct way to do it.

Rete