Reload this Page >

Direct Consulate Filing

Direct Consulate Filing

Old Aug 20th 2004, 4:02 pm
Just Joined

jo lack is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Direct Consulate Filing

Hello,
just wondering if anyone out there knows about this option for k3 filing?
I'm an Australian citizen, engaged to a beautiful American man and am wondering if this is the best option for obtaining a marriage visa? We have not yet filed any forms.
thanks for your time,
jo
Old Aug 20th 2004, 4:11 pm
I'm back!

Just Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Direct Consulate Filing

Originally Posted by jo lack
Hello,
I'm an Australian citizen, engaged to a beautiful American man and am wondering if this is the best option for obtaining a marriage visa? We have not yet filed any forms.
thanks for your time,
jo
Have you done a forum search using the terms "DCF Australia" or something similar?

~ Jenney
Old Aug 20th 2004, 4:17 pm
Just Joined

Hey Jenney,
No. Will do that now. Thanks for your reply!
Old Aug 20th 2004, 4:44 pm
Forum Regular

surfsbabe will become famous soon enough

Hi Jo,

my husband and I did it through Sydney, our interview was August 9th. I have posted our interview details to kamya and feel free to pm/email me if I can help you in any way. IMHO it is DEFINITELY the best way to go!!

Kate
Old Aug 20th 2004, 4:48 pm
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello,
thanks for your time,
jo
Hi:

No, there is no "DCF" for K-3 inasmuch as the I-129F must be filed stateside.

Praytell, why would you even want to the do the K-3 that way -- DCF of the I-130, if available, obviates the need for the K-3.
Old Aug 20th 2004, 5:07 pm
Just Joined

will check it out. thanks Kate.
Old Aug 20th 2004, 5:11 pm
Just Joined

Ok. Have just begun my research. Would you mind telling me what, in your opinion is the fastest way to have a fiance visa processed ie. within the States, or should we marry in Australia and explore the D.C.F option?
Thanks for your interest.
Old Aug 20th 2004, 5:33 pm
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

Ok. Have just begun my research. Would you mind telling me what, in your opinion is the fastest way to have a fiance visa processed ie. within the States, or should we marry in Australia and explore the D.C.F option?
Hi:

Once you marry, no fiance visa is possible.

An I-129F can be filed stateside only.

If you marry and go DCF -- it MIGHT be quicker. What is quick today may be slow tomorrow.
Old Aug 20th 2004, 5:35 pm
Forum Regular

I am pretty sure there is no faster way than DCF in Sydney as long as your application is straightforward.

For a fiancee visa I think it depends on where your fiance lives and which service centre he would therefore be required to use as to how fast it would take for the I-129F to be approved. Once the I-129F is approved you still have to apply for the visa as I understand it.

Kate
Old Aug 20th 2004, 5:56 pm
Just Joined

ok. seems to me the DCF option is the best way to go. I've found the back-log of similar cases on this site.....will begin reading through them. So amazing to have found somwhere to access this information.
thanks y'all for your input.
jo
Old Aug 20th 2004, 6:14 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

ok. seems to me the DCF option is the best way to go. I've found the back-log of similar cases on this site.....will begin reading through them. So amazing to have found somwhere to access this information.
thanks y'all for your input.
jo
Jo, to save you some ineffectual research, here are some targeted resources for you to read:
General Overview: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/in...pg=compare#dcf
More detailed: http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=248960
Personal experiences (most current at bottom of list): http://www.kamya.com/interview/intro.html (click "I-130/DCF abroad and select Australia)

Sydney is the easiest place to DCF in the world. Get organized and your experience will bear no resemblance to the ones you read on the NG! (not saying folk here are NOT organized...just that DCF gets the whole thing done in one fell swoop, if you are ready for it). Be nice to surfsbabe As the most recent Sydney DCF s/he can give you all the current gory details.
Old Aug 20th 2004, 6:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

DCF definitely the best way to go.

If you marry there, then he can file the I-130 directly with the US Embassy. Then once that's approved, you will have to have an interview and pass a medical exam. The interview and medical goes well, you get a nifty visa in your passport. Depending on how long you've been married when you enter the US, you will get either a CR-1 or IR-1 status. Either way, you will enter the US as a Resident, with immediate work authorization and receive a Green Card within a few weeks/months after entry. (this is the simplified explanation)

If you go the K3 route, he would most likely have to return to the US to file the I-130 with the Service Center over his region. Then once he gets a receipt notice for I-130, he then has to file the I-129f (w/the I-130 notice) at the National Benefits Center. Then you guys sit back and wait for the I-129f to be approved (currently take around 6 months I think?). Once the I-129f approved, go for interview & medical, and get the visa in your passport. Once you enter w/the K3 visa, you still have to apply for work authorization (currently taking upwards of about 3 months for approval), and you are not considered a Perm. Resident yet. It gets a bit complicated from here, but to keep it simplified, you will still have to do 1 of 2 things: 1) file the I-485 Adjustment of Status forms to become a Perm. Res. or 2) return to Australia after approval of the I-130 to complete the processing for the CR-1 or IR-1. You could file AOS in 1 of 2 way: 1) either after you enter on the K3 visa and if your local office will allow you, or 2) after the I-130 is approved.

Was that confusing enough? I tried to keep it somewhat easy to understand, but I didn't go into too much detail. Suffice it to say, going the DCF route in Sydney is the quicker and easier route.

Good luck!
Jamie

Last edited by Bluegrass Lass; Aug 20th 2004 at 6:26 pm.
Old Aug 20th 2004, 7:34 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by sunflwrgrl13
DCF definitely the best way to go.

If you marry there, then he can file the I-130 directly with the US Embassy. Then once that's approved, you will have to have an interview and pass a medical exam. The interview and medical goes well, you get a nifty visa in your passport. Depending on how long you've been married when you enter the US, you will get either a CR-1 or IR-1 status. Either way, you will enter the US as a Resident, with immediate work authorization and receive a Green Card within a few weeks/months after entry. (this is the simplified explanation)

If you go the K3 route, he would most likely have to return to the US to file the I-130 with the Service Center over his region. Then once he gets a receipt notice for I-130, he then has to file the I-129f (w/the I-130 notice) at the National Benefits Center. Then you guys sit back and wait for the I-129f to be approved (currently take around 6 months I think?). Once the I-129f approved, go for interview & medical, and get the visa in your passport. Once you enter w/the K3 visa, you still have to apply for work authorization (currently taking upwards of about 3 months for approval), and you are not considered a Perm. Resident yet. It gets a bit complicated from here, but to keep it simplified, you will still have to do 1 of 2 things: 1) file the I-485 Adjustment of Status forms to become a Perm. Res. or 2) return to Australia after approval of the I-130 to complete the processing for the CR-1 or IR-1. You could file AOS in 1 of 2 way: 1) either after you enter on the K3 visa and if your local office will allow you, or 2) after the I-130 is approved.

Was that confusing enough? I tried to keep it somewhat easy to understand, but I didn't go into too much detail. Suffice it to say, going the DCF route in Sydney is the quicker and easier route.

Good luck!
Jamie
In actual fact the I-130 petition is submitted at the visa interview so if everything is in order you get the visa same day. For Sydney they send out the medical instructions with packet 3 so you have had the medical examination prior to the interview also.

Kate
Old Aug 21st 2004, 3:45 am
UpandOver

Hi all,

I'm new here and can't believe that after months and months of
searching visa info I have only just recently learned about DCF. I'm
in Oz and my guy is in the US. We're hoping to get married here in Oz
in about 5 or 6 months, and I'm just going to go DCF and forget the
rest!

One major hurdle I've encountered already...trying to contact the US
Consulate in Sydney! Good grief. $1.50/minute just to call and ask
them to send you paperwork!

Any Aussies who have done this recently: can you think of anything
particular that you wish you'd known prior to filing? All info most
gratefully received (chocolate bribery also considered where
applicable ;-)

RB

Old Aug 21st 2004, 12:31 pm
Just Joined

Hey RB,
I am a huge fan of chocolate (!) but, I really don't have any info to pass on at the moment. I only discovered this site last night and found that I learnt more useful information about visa processes in a few hours than I have after 3 months of limping through the uscis opitions.
The high call cost is a drag, agreed. Good luck in your application.....will pass on any info I find.
jo

Originally Posted by UpandOver
Hi all,

I'm new here and can't believe that after months and months of
searching visa info I have only just recently learned about DCF. I'm
in Oz and my guy is in the US. We're hoping to get married here in Oz
in about 5 or 6 months, and I'm just going to go DCF and forget the
rest!

One major hurdle I've encountered already...trying to contact the US
Consulate in Sydney! Good grief. $1.50/minute just to call and ask
them to send you paperwork!

Any Aussies who have done this recently: can you think of anything
particular that you wish you'd known prior to filing? All info most
gratefully received (chocolate bribery also considered where
applicable ;-)

RB

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.