Reload this Page >

A Different I-864 Question

A Different I-864 Question

Old May 9th 2005, 11:03 pm
Forum Regular

Pete&Shan is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: A Different I-864 Question

Originally Posted by meauxna
Shannon, job offers and UK income may not be used to satisfy the I-864.

http://www.usembassy.org.uk/cons_web...come.htm#seven
"The sponsored immigrant has been offered employment on his or her relocation to the United States; can this be taken into consideration?

While we recognize that the sponsored immigrant may be the main wage earner in the family and on his or her relocation to the United States will have employment, that job offer and salary cannot be counted toward the poverty level guidelines."

If you have no real assets (125% of pov lev X 5) your options include:
-you going to the US and getting a j-o-b
-you getting a Joint Sponsor to complete an I-864 on your husband's behalf

Your income history will be taken into account for the Big Picture, but you may not tally the UK income, unless you want to be creative and can show that this business will continue in the US. Have you been filing your US tax returns annually?
My 2004 tax return was tiny - i left my firm and moved to the UK where I could not work until we got married. 2002 and 2003 were fantastic, but I dont have that job any more and wont have as big a salary when we move as my husband will be the one with the good job right away.

I suppose my father can fill out the I-684 or we can use the house we are keeping in the UK, whichever is easier. My father is going to be my husbands employer, does this complicate things?
Old May 10th 2005, 3:53 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pete&Shan
My 2004 tax return was tiny - i left my firm and moved to the UK where I could not work until we got married. 2002 and 2003 were fantastic, but I dont have that job any more and wont have as big a salary when we move as my husband will be the one with the good job right away.

I suppose my father can fill out the I-684 or we can use the house we are keeping in the UK, whichever is easier. My father is going to be my husbands employer, does this complicate things?
Hi Shan,

Yes, your father can be your husband's joint sponsor. Your father being your husband's potential employer doesn't matter. That sounds like the way to go, to me.

Best Wishes,
Rene
Old May 10th 2005, 6:33 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pete&Shan

Well, you said that your billable as a self employed consultant were around 10k GBP, which would be enough/nearly if you were continuing with that business. That's one option.

Another option is calculating the equity in your real estate and adding other assets together to sponsor yourselves. A 2 person household would require 80-85K USD. The equity is your current market value minus an mortgage.

Third would be completing your own I-864 with minimal info and having Dad complete one as your Joint Sponsor.

The employer relationship of Dad-->SIL has no documentary impact. Choose whichever looks 'easiest' to you all
Old May 10th 2005, 7:01 pm
Forum Regular

Pete&Shan is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by meauxna
Well, you said that your billable as a self employed consultant were around 10k GBP, which would be enough/nearly if you were continuing with that business. That's one option.

Another option is calculating the equity in your real estate and adding other assets together to sponsor yourselves. A 2 person household would require 80-85K USD. The equity is your current market value minus an mortgage.

Third would be completing your own I-864 with minimal info and having Dad complete one as your Joint Sponsor.

The employer relationship of Dad-->SIL has no documentary impact. Choose whichever looks 'easiest' to you all
These are all good ideas and I will have to see which is easier. I agree that what I earned in 2005 over here is enough, as long as I can prove I can continue consulting in the states. I wonder how I would go about proving that? Realistically, I don't see how I could prove it, since I wont have any potential clients lined up and I doubt I could earn nearly that much in the states right away. I used to live in NYC and then worked in London. SC is not the same! Could I just say I plan to continue to consulting and so far in 2005 have earned £10,000? What kind of proof would I need?

Shan
Old May 13th 2005, 8:18 am
Just Joined

Richie is an unknown quantity at this point

I also have a I-864 query that I was hoping someone may be able to assist with.

My wife and I are currently living in the UK and we are intending to move to the US. She is a US citizen, and therefore she will have to be my sponsor on the I-864 and we will be able to use the sale of our house as evidence of savings / assets to support our claim. My question is, does it make a difference that the house is under my name when she is effectively the one sponsoring me? Will we need to change the deeds on the house so that we are officially joing owners?
Old May 13th 2005, 8:22 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Richie

My wife and I are currently living in the UK and we are intending to move to the US. She is a US citizen, and therefore she will have to be my sponsor on the I-864 and we will be able to use the sale of our house as evidence of savings / assets to support our claim. My question is, does it make a difference that the house is under my name when she is effectively the one sponsoring me? Will we need to change the deeds on the house so that we are officially joing owners?
Somebody will correct me if this does not apply to DCF, but if you have been living together for more than 6 months then you can use your joint financials.
Old May 13th 2005, 8:38 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Richie

Boiler is correct.. what's yours is hers and vice versa, for the purpose of the I-864. As long as you've lived together +6 months.

There is no need to change the deed, or even sell the house for that matter. Your equity may be sufficient, if you got in on the boom there