Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Desperately needing help/advice!

Desperately needing help/advice!

Old Nov 24th 2008, 11:17 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Desperately needing help/advice!

It is:

VAWA

Going Home

Remain here out of status and hope for Amnesty.

Sounds a bit blunt, but only one do you have any contol over.
Old Nov 24th 2008, 11:54 am
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kate2112
..........Get your attorney to assist in filing the necessary immigrations papers on VAWA grounds.............
I think she needs a lawyer with a proven track-record in winning VAWA cases.

Looks like a specialized field to me - not something for just any immigration lawyer.
Old Nov 24th 2008, 1:31 pm
Just Joined

bfry77 is an unknown quantity at this point

thanks guys / gals

as it is ive pretty much told him a short while ago some things similar to what we spoke about here, but not in great detail

and his response is..well wait and talk to your lawyer see what she says, then decide what you (me) wants to do and we'll talk about it.

rough considering he knows what id like but wont go that route

but i'll be sure to keep an update on what eventuates
Old Nov 24th 2008, 1:42 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bfry77
... then decide what you (me) wants to do and we'll talk about it.
You're walking headlong into a trap. He wants to know what you're going to do, so that he can arm himself against you. Except, perhaps, as it pertains to the children, you are not obligated to talk to him about anything. Do *not* try to bargain with him... you will lose.

You still think he's a nice guy... but he currently has the upper hand and he knows it... and he *will* take advantage of it.

Ian
Old Nov 25th 2008, 1:52 am
Queen of my house

tamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kate2112
There are always two sides to a story.

If he were mine I would have no trouble recognizing that he is an abuser. Its sometimes very difficult when you are at the receiving end of abuse to acknowledge it. So dont acknowledge it for yourself, do it for your childrens sake.
You quote instances in day to day life of his refusing to take part as a parent and a partner. You also quote occasions of emergency when he chose to do what he wanted to do instead of being a supporting partner and parent. Both of these are abusive actions. Get your attorney to assist in filing the necessary immigrations papers on VAWA grounds. If you do not already have a court order for child support consider strongly doing this as it is likely that once your husband knows he is being cited as abusive he will withdraw child support.
Lastly please ask yourself how could a loving partner abuse you by telling you he was interested in other women? Try to be honest with yourself for your sake and your childrens sake.
I wish you strength and good fortune with dealing with all you have before you. I wish that also for your children.
People have been granted divorces based only on online affairs.
Old Nov 25th 2008, 1:56 am
Queen of my house

tamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
You're walking headlong into a trap. He wants to know what you're going to do, so that he can arm himself against you. Except, perhaps, as it pertains to the children, you are not obligated to talk to him about anything. Do *not* try to bargain with him... you will lose.

You still think he's a nice guy... but he currently has the upper hand and he knows it... and he *will* take advantage of it.

Ian
My thoughts exactly. It sounds just like what my ex did. He even went as far as trying to convince me not to hire an attorney for the divorce, and he'd "take care of all the paperwork to save money on attorney fees." He is manipulating the OP.

To the OP: It is much easier for him to be manipulative and "fake" compassion/feelings for you because he has already checked out of the relationship. He is thinking about his future and what is best for him, not you. You need to do the same. Believe me, I know, I've been there.