Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

desperately need k3 visa info!!!

desperately need k3 visa info!!!

Old Feb 18th 2003, 7:26 am
Just Joined

walt in sc is an unknown quantity at this point
Default desperately need k3 visa info!!!

I recently married a brasilian woman in brasil.We chose to do this so that her friends and family could be in attendance.The us embassy in Sao Paolo said we could file for the k3 visa directly through the rio office (and apparently forgo the ins procedure in the us) and the wait time would be 3 months or less.The Department of State confirmed this,but ins denies this.I am more than willing to travel back to Brasil (to spend some time with my wife AND speed up the k3 process),but do not know if this method of processing is true or correct,or if the time frame stated is accurate(it seems to be shorter than filing through Dallas and then Missouri).Can anybody help out with this???If the above is true and she receives her k3 directly from the state department(us embassy in rio),would this possibly cause delays with future ins dealings(by NOT filing through them first)?And ,finally(for now),what exactly is a police certificate????she has never heard of such and has no clue as to where to get one in brasil

Last edited by walt in sc; Feb 18th 2003 at 7:54 am.
Old Feb 18th 2003, 9:36 pm
Wim Colgate

Default Re: desperately need k3 visa info!!!

Looks like the post JUST before yours (at least in my newsreader....) has
some info on direct consular filing..

Look for a post with the title "Whats the deal with DCF?"

Regards,

Wim

"walt in sc" wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > I recently married a brasilian woman in brasil.We chose to do this so
    > that her friends and family could be in attendance.The us embassy in Sao
    > Paolo said we could file for the k3 visa directly through the rio office
    > (and apparently forgo the ins procedure in the us) and the wait time
    > would be 3 months or less.The Department of State confirmed this,but ins
    > denies this.I am more than willing to travel back to Brasil (to spend
    > some time with my wife AND speed up the k3 process),but do not know if
    > this method of processing is true or correct,or if the time frame stated
    > is accurate(it seems to be shorter than filing through Dallas and then
    > Missouri).Can anybody help out with this???If the above is true and she
    > receives her k3 directly from the state department(us embassy in
    > rio),would this possibly cause delays with future ins dealings(by NOT
    > filing through them first)?And ,finally(for now),what exactly is a
    > police certificate????she has never heard of such and has no clue as to
    > where to get one in brasil
    > --
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Old Feb 19th 2003, 1:20 am
Forum Regular

ccqiu is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by walt in sc
I recently married a brasilian woman in brasil.We chose to do this so that her friends and family could be in attendance.The us embassy in Sao Paolo said we could file for the k3 visa directly through the rio office (and apparently forgo the ins procedure in the us) and the wait time would be 3 months or less.The Department of State confirmed this,but ins denies this.I am more than willing to travel back to Brasil (to spend some time with my wife AND speed up the k3 process),but do not know if this method of processing is true or correct,or if the time frame stated is accurate(it seems to be shorter than filing through Dallas and then Missouri).Can anybody help out with this???If the above is true and she receives her k3 directly from the state department(us embassy in rio),would this possibly cause delays with future ins dealings(by NOT filing through them first)?And ,finally(for now),what exactly is a police certificate????she has never heard of such and has no clue as to where to get one in brasil

You DO need to file with INS first if you are looking for a K3 visa.

DCF is primarily for immigrant visa (i.e. with the end product of a green card) The good news though, is that DCF may be faster in Rio than doing the K3 visa. And the best part is that green card is a lot better than K3.
Old Feb 19th 2003, 2:05 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by walt in sc
walt, you wouldn't be a scuba diving MD who was in Belize in the early 90s, would you?

The process the Embassy told you about was likely what we call DCF around here, but that's not an official term. Which is why the State Dept called them a liar. I too, was confusing DCF with the K3 when I got started; the good news for you is that DCF is a heckovalot better, if you can do it. It looks like you CAN. After getting her Immigrant Visa in Brazil, your wife will get her Green Card after she enters the US. If she comes in on a K3, she/you will have another (up to) 2 years of paperwork and filing before she gets the GC.

You can read about DCF here:
http://k1.exit.com/dcf.html
and Brazil specific, although dated info here:
http://k1.exit.com/brazil.html
The Consulate info is here:
http://www.consulado-americano-rio.o...mmisec.htm#pet

Remember that you are now interested in an Immigrant Visa for a spouse (no waiting for a number to become available for her).

I also see from there page here:
http://www.consulado-americano-rio.org.br/evrybody.htm
the instructions for getting the police certificate.

You'll have more questions after reading, but if time is not on your side, keep in mind that the USC (US Citizen) only needs to appear in person to file the initial petition I-130. If you have to return to the US, your wife can complete the interview on her own.

I also recommend searching this newsgroup for more recent Brazil stories...I think there's at least one in progress now. Good luck and let me know if I can help.