Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

desperately in need of help

desperately in need of help

Old Sep 30th 2013, 12:54 am
Just Joined

zanthion_fox is an unknown quantity at this point
Default desperately in need of help

hi, im a uk citizen, i'm engaged to someone in the us. i really want to move over there but i'm completely lost on how to do it. i can't figure out the costs or visas to save my life... i am turning 30 soon and i hear its even harder then. can someone please help me here... what do i need to do?
Old Sep 30th 2013, 2:31 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: desperately in need of help

Originally Posted by zanthion_fox
hi, im a uk citizen, i'm engaged to someone in the us. i really want to move over there but i'm completely lost on how to do it. i can't figure out the costs or visas to save my life... i am turning 30 soon and i hear its even harder then. can someone please help me here... what do i need to do?
Hi and Welcome to BE!

Take a look at our Wiki Guide to see the comparison chart of the two marriage-based visas: http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Compar...ge-based_visas

Then come on back with any questions.

It is not more difficult after age 30. Age has no bearing on it at all.

Rene
Old Sep 30th 2013, 2:39 am
BE Irregular

RICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond repute

If the someone in US is a citizen of USA , you want to look into a K1 visa.
It is not hard, but takes time.
Old Sep 30th 2013, 6:09 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Hi and Welcome to BE!

Take a look at our Wiki Guide to see the comparison chart of the two marriage-based visas: http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Compar...ge-based_visas

Then come on back with any questions.

It is not more difficult after age 30. Age has no bearing on it at all.

Rene
ok, i looked at that but it does not cover the costs of the k-1. and by god... the paperwork.... i can accept the paperwork, but i am scared i won't be able to afford it.
Old Sep 30th 2013, 7:58 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

ok, i looked at that but it does not cover the costs of the k-1. and by god... the paperwork.... i can accept the paperwork, but i am scared i won't be able to afford it.
So your biggest concern is the cost of immigrating? If you and your fiancée can budget around $2,500 for the whole thing, either way you go (K-1 or Immigrant Visa), you'll be fine. Immigration is not cheap or fast.

If your concern is that your fiancée/wife won't be earning enough to cover the Affidavit of Support, there are some ways around that.

For details on the exact cost of a K-1 visa route, see www.uscis.gov for the cost of filing the I-129F, the Dept of State website for the cost of the actual visa, and then www.uscis.gov again for the cost of adjusting status once inside the USA. There will also be the cost of your medical exam and police report (you'll have to look up previous posts for those costs).

Rene
Old Sep 30th 2013, 8:01 am

what do i need to do?
You say you read the comparison guide, so you know the difference between a K-1 and an Immigrant Visa, right? So, what you need to do is decide whether you want to spend your 8 - 10 months apart (during the visa process) as an engaged couple or married couple. You need to decide whether working immediately in the USA is important or not. You need to decide if it's OK to get married in the USA or some other country. Once you decide these things, you can choose one of those immigration paths to follow, and then come back to get your specific questions answered on how to start the paperwork/process.

Rene
Old Sep 30th 2013, 8:07 am
Just Joined

You say you read the comparison guide, so you know the difference between a K-1 and an Immigrant Visa, right? So, what you need to do is decide whether you want to spend your 8 - 10 months apart (during the visa process) as an engaged couple or married couple. You need to decide whether working immediately in the USA is important or not. You need to decide if it's OK to get married in the USA or some other country. Once you decide these things, you can choose one of those immigration paths to follow, and then come back to get your specific questions answered on how to start the paperwork/process.

Rene
is it possible to be in the US while the visa is processed?
Old Sep 30th 2013, 8:14 am
Just Joined

cause i have a friend who is willing to put me up as long as needed. and it could be the only way we can see each other regularly. its so hard being apart. i can't afford to travel to the states more than once a year, if i'm lucky.
Old Sep 30th 2013, 8:29 am

is it possible to be in the US while the visa is processed?
As a visitor, for the allotted 90 days on the VWP, yes.

Rene
Old Sep 30th 2013, 12:06 pm
Mouthy Yank

Speedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond repute

As a visitor, for the allotted 90 days on the VWP, yes.

Rene
We did this while my husband's application was in process. He came to visit over the holidays. We scheduled his visit for 85 days so as to avoid overstays. You can't do back-to-back stays and you do not want to risk trying. You also don't want to try coming on a visit, getting married, then trying to apply to stay while you are here. It is too risky and could result in a ban; we know there are stories floating around about someone's mother's friend's spouse doing it successfully, but we can't counsel you to do something for which the consequences are potentially so horrific.

The rule of thumb we use on the forum for visits is that you should spend at least as much time out of the country as in, so after you visit for that length of time you should plan to spend the next few months in the UK, where your fiancée/wife can come visit you. We know (and everyone else here who went through the process knows) that it's difficult, but we did it. Don't panic.

Last edited by Speedwell; Sep 30th 2013 at 12:09 pm.
Old Sep 30th 2013, 12:26 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

i can't afford to travel to the states more than once a year, if i'm lucky.
Well then, this isn't much of a plan... since you must return to the UK for a medical, and then again for an interview. The money you'd save on airfare could be put towards the visa process.

... it could be the only way we can see each other regularly.
You're dealing with international travel on a limited budget... you should get used to not seeing each other regularly.

... its so hard being apart.
We've all done it... you will too.

Ian
Old Sep 30th 2013, 3:06 pm
Just Joined

damn. 90 days... well i guess its better than nothing. VWP? isn't that the visa where you can work during your stay? hmm... is it likely i could even get work for such a short period of time?
Old Sep 30th 2013, 3:15 pm
Forum Regular

266mac is a name known to all266mac is a name known to all266mac is a name known to all266mac is a name known to all266mac is a name known to all266mac is a name known to all266mac is a name known to all266mac is a name known to all266mac is a name known to all266mac is a name known to all266mac is a name known to all

Just try and relax

Make yourself a cup of tea, read the wikis on this site and then skype your GF and make a plan. Some calm, lateral thinking should do the trick.
Old Sep 30th 2013, 3:19 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

damn. 90 days... well i guess its better than nothing. VWP? isn't that the visa where you can work during your stay? .....
Working while in the US on a VWP, in any job for which a US citizen or permanent resident could be hired, visit is strictly and absolutely prohibited, with the only exceptions being a limited range of tasks you can complete for your employer in your home country. E.g. attending meetings, visiting clients/ potential clients, attending training or conferences, etc.

Originally Posted by 266mac
..... Some calm, lateral thinking should do the trick.
Lateral thinking should be avoided (IMO it implies trying to fenegal a way round a problem, rather than facing it head-on), but logical thinking should do the trick!

Last edited by Pulaski; Sep 30th 2013 at 3:29 pm.
Old Sep 30th 2013, 3:34 pm

damn. 90 days... well i guess its better than nothing. VWP? isn't that the visa where you can work during your stay?
No. VWP stands for Visa Waiver Program. It's what allows you (if you qualify) to spend up to 90 days in the USA for visiting only, no working allowed. Have you not ever used this before? Have you visited the USA? Have you and your fiancee met in person yet?

hmm... is it likely i could even get work for such a short period of time?
Moot point, since the VWP does not allow you to work.

Rene

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.