Wikiposts

Desperate

Old Mar 22nd 2002, 12:35 am
Alvena Ferreira

Default Re: Desperate

Bonnie M wrote:
    > If you have never had the experience to live in small town anywhere you cannot
    > possibly know the mentality that can exist there.

I live in a pretty small town. We have several out here in the cracks who act like
they just crawled down outta the tree about yesterday. Most of them have very little
mentality, if any. I have noticed that they uniformly appear to enjoy bananas,
however. alvena

Old Mar 22nd 2002, 1:35 am
Mister Heartbre

[email protected] (Betastar) wrote in news:3c9b38fd.214575381@news- server.nc.rr.com:

> There's a lot of things I see in postings in newsgroups that I could "make an
    > observation" about, but most of them are highly unproductive and only likely to
    > cause a thread to sping way off topic. So I keep my observations to myself.
    > Maybe that's what's needed here? Just an observation I've made the last couple
    > of weeks
    >
    > Betastar
    >
    >

Couldn't agree more - too many people here are ready to throw their opinions in
whether they're unhelpful or not (like this one, for example). As I understand it,
only one person actually helped Ntepy, but it was by far the longest thread I've seen
- mostly due to stupid pointless arguments which served no purpose.

And now I've added to it...I'll get my coat. Dave.

Old Mar 22nd 2002, 1:35 am
Mister Heartbre

Mister Heartbreak <@all.com> wrote in
news:Xns91D98F8DC9B30davelamb68hotma...2.253.162.108:

> [email protected] (Betastar) wrote in news:3c9b38fd.214575381@news- server.nc.rr.com:
    >
    >
    >
    >> There's a lot of things I see in postings in newsgroups that I could "make an
    >> observation" about, but most of them are highly unproductive and only likely to
    >> cause a thread to sping way off topic. So I keep my observations to myself.
    >> Maybe that's what's needed here? Just an observation I've made the last couple
    >> of weeks
    >>
    >> Betastar
    >>
    >>
    >
    > Couldn't agree more - too many people here are ready to throw their opinions in
    > whether they're unhelpful or not (like this one, for example). As I understand it,
    > only one person actually helped Ntepy, but it was by far the longest thread I've
    > seen - mostly due to stupid pointless arguments which served no purpose.
    >
    > And now I've added to it...I'll get my coat. Dave.
    >

Perhaps I meant "...whether they're HELPFUL or not." Who can tell... Dave.

Old Mar 22nd 2002, 3:35 am
Andrew Defaria

Betastar wrote:

> On Thu, 21 Mar 2002 21:02:02 -0800, Andrew DeFaria <[email protected]> spake:
    >
    >> That's OK and understandable. I was just making an observation about an odd
    >> phrasing of things because I was confused and wondered what the real intent was.
    >> Too bad some people seem to get bent out of shape about such things.
    >
    > I think the problem here is that what you call "make an observation" others call
    > "nitpicking".

I know, I wish people would stop that.

> I think this woman needed help, and rather than reach out on a newsgroup she's
    > never been to before (alt.depression) where she'd have to go through her whole
    > history, how she got into the situation she's in, etc. etc.

Wow! Two words: copy & paste!

> she reached out to people who are already familiar with her case, her story, with
    > her. It kinda makes sense to me.

Doesn't to me. It's like talking to your friends about your back hurting you.
Somebody suggests going to a chiropractor and then everybody tears your head off!

> There's a lot of things I see in postings in newsgroups that I could "make an
    > observation" about, but most of them are highly unproductive and only likely to
    > cause a thread to sping way off topic.

Perhaps I'm just more curious than you!

> So I keep my observations to myself. Maybe that's what's needed here?

Nope.

Content-Type: text/html; charset=us-ascii

<html> <head> </head> <body> Betastar wrote:<br> <blockquote type="cite"
cite="mid:[email protected]"> On Thu, 21 Mar 2002 21:02:02
-0800, Andrew DeFaria<br> <a class="moz-txt-link-rfc2396E"
href="mailto:[email protected]">&lt;[email protected]&gt;</a> spake:<br>
<blockquote type="cite">That's OK and understandable. I was just making an
observation about an &nbsp;odd phrasing of things because I was confused and wondered
what the real &nbsp;intent was. Too bad some people seem to get bent out of shape
about such &nbsp;things.<br> </blockquote> <!TEST->I think the problem here is that
what you call "make an observation" others call "nitpicking".</blockquote> I know, I
wish people would stop that.<br> <blockquote type="cite"
cite="mid:[email protected]"> I think this woman needed help,
and rather than reach out on a newsgroup she's never been to before (alt.depression)
where she'd have to go through her whole history, how she got into the situation
she's<br> in, etc. etc. </blockquote> Wow! Two words: copy &amp; paste!<br>
<blockquote type="cite" cite="mid:[email protected]"> she
reached out to people who are already familiar with her case, her story, with her. It
kinda makes sense to me.</blockquote> Doesn't to me. It's like talking to your
friends about your back hurting you. Somebody suggests going to a chiropractor and
then everybody tears your head off! <br> <blockquote type="cite"
cite="mid:[email protected]"> There's a lot of things I see in
postings in newsgroups that I could "make an observation" about, but most of them are
highly unproductive and only likely to cause a thread to sping way off topic.
</blockquote> Perhaps I'm just more curious than you!<br> <blockquote type="cite"
cite="mid:[email protected]"> So I keep my observations to
myself. Maybe that's what's needed here?</blockquote> Nope.<br> <blockquote
type="cite" cite="mid:[email protected]"></blockquote> <br>
</body> </html

Old Mar 22nd 2002, 8:35 am
Di Martin

LOL..... I like that one Alvena.... and I will very soon (departure date from
Australia April 13th) be moving to one of those little towns (half the size or more
than yours!!) out in the cracks very close to you. But have lived in very similar
here and they are NO different!! Alvena Ferreira <[email protected]> wrote in
message news:[email protected]...
    > Bonnie M wrote:
    > > If you have never had the experience to live in small town anywhere you cannot
    > > possibly know the mentality that can exist there.
    >
    > I live in a pretty small town. We have several out here in the cracks who act like
    > they just crawled down outta the tree about yesterday. Most of them have very
    > little mentality, if any. I have noticed that they uniformly appear to enjoy
    > bananas, however. alvena

Old Mar 22nd 2002, 7:25 pm
Michael Voight

Cheryl wrote:
    >
    > The authorities (state police) have been notified and straight from their mouth
    > they said there was a problem that needed attending too and it's being taken care
    > of now. Hope that clears up everyone's confusion and doubts.

What problem... I just see a bad marriage. I don't see what this has to do with the
PA State Police.

Michael Voight

Rete wrote:
    >
    > Why do these threads always turn into personal combatant postings.
    >
    > The woman asked a question; she asked for assistant. She didn't ask anyone to
    > debate her life and situation.

Then she shouldn't be posting such personal stuff to a newsgroup. Seriously, if she
wants to ask a visa question then we would be happy to answer it. If she wants to
come here for anything, then she is going to be subject to the opinions of people. My
personal opinion is that she should have ran from him the moment she made her first
post here. But, there were others that said she should stay with her man. Didn't you
take part in THAT discussion?

> You all wanted and demanded that she return home to England in her last attempt to
    > elicit help and now you are sitting back and in so many words telling her she made
    > up the entire thing.
    >
    > For what it is worth, the UK Consulate will NOT be of much assistance to her
    > and her children. It is in black and white on their website. They will not loan
    > her money.

Which website??? Are you talking about any loans, or specific info about
repatriation?

From http://www.fco.gov.uk/travel/dynpage.asp?Page=437

Look under "They can", you will see

"As a last resort, in exceptional circumstances, and as long as you meet certain
strict rules, give you a loan to get you back to the UK, but only if there is no-one
else who can help you."

Repatriation is mentioned on other consulate sites, but this one is the official site
for Consular Services.

Michael

Michael Voight

ntepy wrote:
    >
    > Thank you so much cheryl. Listen people when I'm in better shape I will give you
    > all the explaination you becon for, but in the mean-time I am eternally gratefull
    > to the person (you know who you are) who took the initiative to respond to my
    > distress call in a positive way.

Can you please tell us what the State Police did??? You never mentioned a crime
of any sort.

Old Mar 22nd 2002, 10:28 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

I made one reply regarding her situation in that thread. The rest was said on a separate thread when attacked by the pompous ass who could attributed someone else's comment to me.
Old Mar 26th 2002, 5:30 pm
Betastar

On Thu, 21 Mar 2002 21:02:02 -0800, Andrew DeFaria <[email protected]> spake:
    >That's OK and understandable. I was just making an observation about an odd phrasing
    >of things because I was confused and wondered what the real intent was. Too bad some
    >people seem to get bent out of shape about such things.

I think the problem here is that what you call "make an observation" others call
"nitpicking".

I think this woman needed help, and rather than reach out on a newsgroup she's never
been to before (alt.depression) where she'd have to go through her whole history, how
she got into the situation she's in, etc. etc. she reached out to people who are
already familiar with her case, her story, with her. It kinda makes sense to me.

There's a lot of things I see in postings in newsgroups that I could "make an
observation" about, but most of them are highly unproductive and only likely to cause
a thread to sping way off topic. So I keep my observations to myself. Maybe that's
what's needed here? Just an observation I've made the last couple of weeks

Betastar