Wikiposts

Desperate

Old Mar 21st 2002, 5:35 am
Rag Bag

Default Re: Desperate

Andrew,

I think that you just have a problem with many things, we are here to help epople
that have immigration problems, we always know that the information on these sites
are by amature people, and although Alvena has been posting here for many years, he
too, can't work everything to suite everyone.

I do see your point about saying to specifically go to one place, but I believe that
Alvena had this persons every best interest in helping this person, instead of nit
picking at minor details.

"Andrew DeFaria" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]... Alvena Ferreira wrote:

Alvena Ferreira wrote:

Try a local church. Catholic first, if there is one. If not, find the biggest
protestant/baptist church you can find.

What difference does it make if the church is Catholic or protestant/baptist?!?

Actually, I mentioned Catholic church because in some communities they work with
immigrants, and there is a just a chance that they would have more resources to help
her. for instance, If you look at the bottom of the Louisville INS office "about us"
page, you will see that Catholic Charities of Louisville assists in providing
free/low cost services to immigrants. It had nothing to do with the money. Larger
churches have a better chance of being familiar with immigrants or having a history
of assisting them, that is all.

I guess I was just objecting to the wording you used. You said "go to a Catholic
church first". Had you said something like "Many Catholic churches work with
immigrants" or "Catholic churches seems to be active in this" then that would have
more clearly expressed your opinion.

Old Mar 21st 2002, 6:09 am
Spam Is Only Go

It is always easier to offer commentary rather than solutions.

In this case, several people have offered solutions.

They include going to a Church, or a Women's Shelter.

The lady in question might also see if there is a British-American Association or
Club in her area. She might find some people who can support or help her.

Whatever happened, happened.

Right now, it is a triage situation.

This person needs to decide exactly what she needs to do to salvage the lives of her
children, and herself.

Judgment, can wait.

Jim

Old Mar 21st 2002, 6:09 am
Ranjini

Well said, Jim. Ranjini

"Spam is only good out of the can and then yuk" <@.com> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > It is always easier to offer commentary rather than solutions.
    >
    > In this case, several people have offered solutions.
    >
    > They include going to a Church, or a Women's Shelter.
    >
    > The lady in question might also see if there is a British-American Association or
    > Club in her area. She might find some people who can
support
    > or help her.
    >
    > Whatever happened, happened.
    >
    > Right now, it is a triage situation.
    >
    > This person needs to decide exactly what she needs to do to salvage the lives of
    > her children, and herself.
    >
    > Judgment, can wait.
    >
    > Jim

Old Mar 21st 2002, 9:05 am
Jb

Rete wrote:
    >
    > Why do these threads always turn into personal combatant postings.

Because that's usenet?

> For what it is worth, the UK Consulate will NOT be of much assistance to her and
    > her children. It is in black and white on their website. They will not loan her
    > money. They will not assist her in any court or police

It actually says this on the consulate's website? I'm surprised (well, I guess not)
that they even have to take the trouble to state the fact. It seems so obvious. So, I
can't show up at the White House and ask for money then?

Old Mar 21st 2002, 11:05 am
Cheryl

The authorities (state police) have been notified and straight from their mouth they
said there was a problem that needed attending too and it's being taken care of now.
Hope that clears up everyone's confusion and doubts.

Old Mar 21st 2002, 11:37 am
Brian Denuyl

That is very vague. Are you a goverment official?

On Thu, 21 Mar 2002 23:28:51 GMT, "Cheryl" <[email protected]> wrote:

>The authorities (state police) have been notified and straight from their mouth they
    >said there was a problem that needed attending too and it's being taken care of now.
    >Hope that clears up everyone's confusion and doubts.

Old Mar 21st 2002, 11:41 am
K
BE Enthusiast

K is an unknown quantity at this point

Have to admit im also intrigued. Hopefully though if this is indeed the case that she will get the help that she needs.
Old Mar 21st 2002, 12:05 pm
Alvena Ferreira

Andrew DeFaria wrote:
    > I guess I was just objecting to the wording you used. You said "go to a Catholic
    > church first". Had you said something like "Many Catholic churches work with
    > immigrants" or "Catholic churches seems to be active in this" then that would have
    > more clearly expressed your opinion.

Andrew, I apologize for my brevity. At the time I wrote that, I had already put in
over 27 hours at my job this week, and frankly I was tired. After I drive the first
500 miles, things get kind of hazy.. It has been along week, and it's hard to find
time to post and still get a bit of sleep. alvena

Old Mar 21st 2002, 3:05 pm
Ntepy

Thank you so much cheryl. Listen people when I'm in better shape I will give you all
the explaination you becon for, but in the mean-time I am eternally gratefull to the
person (you know who you are) who took the initiative to respond to my distress call
in a positive way.

Love to all......ntepy

"Cheryl" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]. ca>...
    > The authorities (state police) have been notified and straight from their mouth
    > they said there was a problem that needed attending too and it's being taken care
    > of now. Hope that clears up everyone's confusion and doubts.

Old Mar 21st 2002, 3:05 pm
Bonnie M

I think that it is great that someone stepped up to the plate and did something about
her situation. An old friend of mine used to say there are three sides to every
story..his, hers and the real story. I would prefer to think the real story will end
with ntepy and her children returning to England rather than being a blurb on the
nightly news. What tends to amaze and astonish me at times is the willingness of some
to overlook the whole situation and concentrate on some minute detail such as the
denomination of the church she should have turned to. Maybe it didnt occur to you
that in this small backwater that her new husband, the sweatheart,was the local good
old boy, or that the fact that he had found a bride on the internet had kept them
talking for days! She likely found little sympathy from the locals. If you have never
had the experience to live in small town anywhere you cannot possibly know the
mentality that can exist there. So let's hope she got the help she needed and that
one day she will post and let us know how it all worked out.

"K" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > Have to admit im also intrigued. Hopefully though if this is indeed the case that
    > she will get the help that she needs.
    >
    >
    >
    > --
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Old Mar 21st 2002, 3:35 pm
Betastar

On 21 Mar 2002 19:35:57 -0800, [email protected] (ntepy) spake:

>Thank you so much cheryl. Listen people when I'm in better shape I will give you all
    >the explaination you becon for, but in the mean-time I am eternally gratefull to the
    >person (you know who you are) who took the initiative to respond to my distress call
    >in a positive way.
    >
    >Love to all......ntepy

I'm glad to hear from you again, ntepy. Keep posting if you can to let us know you're
OK. Some of us do care.

Just a qord of advise - I had considered making a phone call, but the number you gave
started "Pennsylvania" - there's more than one area code in PA - I don't know who
helped but I'm wondering on how they knew which of 8 or 10 area codes to call?

Betastar

Old Mar 21st 2002, 4:05 pm
Andrew Defaria

Rete wrote:

> Why do these threads always turn into personal combatant postings. The woman asked
    > a question; she asked for assistant.

Did you ever think that perhaps it's the way that you are looking at it? I mean I
recall making the suggestion that she post this to alt.depression because I had the
honest opinion that she might find more solice, comfort and yes, actual help than
posting it here and somebody responded that I bit her head off! I mean really. But
this is Usenet and this is how Usenet is (and I don't know why though I often ponder
that question).

> She didn't ask anyone to debate her life and situation.

Again, this is Usenet. Threads tend to wander and have a life of their own.

> You all wanted and demanded that she return home to England in her last attempt to
    > elicit help and now you are sitting back and in so many words telling her she made
    > up the entire thing.

Well *I* was definately not part of *all* above. I did not demand nor even suggest (I
don't think) that she return to England. And all we have done is brought up the
possibilty that there is more to her story than she has lead on to and the
possibility that perhaps she's not being that honest about the true facts. Or are you
a person who believes whenever somebody claims hardship you should never question
their true motives, intent or whether or not there is really hardship?

Andrew Defaria

Brian Denuyl wrote:

> That is very vague. Are you a goverment official?
    >
    > On Thu, 21 Mar 2002 23:28:51 GMT, "Cheryl" <[email protected]> wrote:

Did you forget the smiley?

>> The authorities (state police) have been notified and straight from their mouth
    >> they said there was a problem that needed attending too and it's being taken care
    >> of now. Hope that clears up everyone's confusion and doubts.

Andrew Defaria

Rag Bag wrote:

> I do see your point about saying to specifically go to one place, but I believe
    > that Alvena had this persons every best interest in helping this person, instead of
    > nit picking at minor details.

Glad you see my point. Hey I was just making an observation! Geeze. Didn't know
observations were outlawed here...

Old Mar 21st 2002, 4:35 pm
Andrew Defaria

Alvena Ferreira wrote:

> Andrew DeFaria wrote:
    >
    >> I guess I was just objecting to the wording you used. You said "go to a Catholic
    >> church first". Had you said something like "Many Catholic churches work with
    >> immigrants" or "Catholic churches seems to be active in this" then that would have
    >> more clearly expressed your opinion.
    >
    > Andrew, I apologize for my brevity. At the time I wrote that, I had already put in
    > over 27 hours at my job this week, and frankly I was tired. After I drive the first
    > 500 miles, things get kind of hazy.. It has been along week, and it's hard to
    > find time to post and still get a bit of sleep.

That's OK and understandable. I was just making an observation about an odd phrasing
of things because I was confused and wondered what the real intent was. Too bad some
people seem to get bent out of shape about such things.

Content-Type: text/html; charset=us-ascii

<html> <head> </head> <body> Alvena Ferreira wrote:<br> <blockquote type="cite"
cite="mid:[email protected]">Andrew DeFaria wrote:<br> <blockquote
type="cite">I guess I was just objecting to the wording you used. You said "go to a
Catholic church first". Had you said something like "Many Catholic churches work with
immigrants" or "Catholic churches seems to be active in this" then that would have
more clearly expressed your opinion.<br> </blockquote> <!TEST->Andrew, I apologize
for my brevity. At the time I wrote that, I had already put in over 27 hours at my
job this week, and frankly I was tired. After I drive the first 500 miles, things get
kind of hazy.. It has been along week, and it's hard to find time to post and
still get a bit of sleep.</blockquote> That's OK and understandable. I was just
making an observation about an odd phrasing of things because I was confused and
wondered what the real intent was. Too bad some people seem to get bent out of shape
about such things.<br> <br> </body> </html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.