Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

deportation and divorce

deportation and divorce

Old Sep 6th 2005, 7:03 pm
Beans on Toast? Ugghh...

CharlieX has a spectacular aura aboutCharlieX has a spectacular aura aboutCharlieX has a spectacular aura about
Default deportation and divorce

could use some words of advice....

We got married 8 months ago so she could stay with me and get her green card. 1 month ago we had our interview... we were approved but needed to provide a certified copy of the marriage abstract and wait for the FBI check.

She left me for someone else a few days ago. I'm ready to start divorce proceedings. What I want to know is will she be in jeopardy of deportation? Is there something I can do to alert the UCSIS that the marriage was fradulent? I mean, I feel used and honestly don't think she derserves to ride on my goodwill.
Old Sep 6th 2005, 7:14 pm
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: deportation and divorce

Originally Posted by CharlieX

We got married 8 months ago so she could stay with me and get her green card. 1 month ago we had our interview... we were approved but needed to provide a certified copy of the marriage abstract and wait for the FBI check.

She left me for someone else a few days ago. I'm ready to start divorce proceedings. What I want to know is will she be in jeopardy of deportation? Is there something I can do to alert the UCSIS that the marriage was fradulent? I mean, I feel used and honestly don't think she derserves to ride on my goodwill.
Hi:

What was "fraudulent" about the marriage? You don't say.
Old Sep 6th 2005, 7:16 pm
Beans on Toast? Ugghh...

CharlieX has a spectacular aura aboutCharlieX has a spectacular aura aboutCharlieX has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Folinskyinla
Hi:

What was "fraudulent" about the marriage? You don't say.

I would say that she lead me to believe that we were in love and should get married. But now she has her green card, she has left me. Therefore "fradulent"?
Old Sep 6th 2005, 9:14 pm
crg
American Expat

crg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond repute

I would say that she lead me to believe that we were in love and should get married. But now she has her green card, she has left me. Therefore "fradulent"?
What's the immigration status of the new guy?
Old Sep 6th 2005, 9:53 pm
Account Closed

Hi:

You gave the impression the case was still pending!
Old Sep 6th 2005, 9:56 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Charlie,

In your first post you said you're still waiting for FBI checks. In your other post you said she received the green card. Which is it?

Rene
Old Sep 6th 2005, 11:14 pm
Beans on Toast? Ugghh...

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Charlie,

In your first post you said you're still waiting for FBI checks. In your other post you said she received the green card. Which is it?

Rene
Sorry, I mean she was approved in our AOS interview for the 2 year green card, pending the security check.
Old Sep 6th 2005, 11:18 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry, I mean she was approved in our AOS interview for the 2 year green card, pending the security check.
OK, so she does not have the green card in hand yet thought, right?

Rene
Old Sep 6th 2005, 11:19 pm
Account Closed

Hi:

So if her case is still pending and she left you, that is an idicia of lack of fraud.
Old Sep 7th 2005, 12:27 am
BE Enthusiast

bionomique is a splendid one to beholdbionomique is a splendid one to beholdbionomique is a splendid one to beholdbionomique is a splendid one to beholdbionomique is a splendid one to beholdbionomique is a splendid one to beholdbionomique is a splendid one to beholdbionomique is a splendid one to beholdbionomique is a splendid one to beholdbionomique is a splendid one to beholdbionomique is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Folinskyinla
Hi:

So if her case is still pending and she left you, that is an idicia of lack of fraud.
I was thinking that CharlieX had soiled hands, or perhaps it was an innocent and unfortunate choice of words, when he said "We got married 8 months ago so she could stay with me and get her green card"
Old Sep 7th 2005, 1:07 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Is there something I can do to alert the UCSIS that the marriage was fradulent? I mean, I feel used and honestly don't think she derserves to ride on my goodwill.
There's probably two issues here... 1) if you believe the marriage was fraudulent, then you're probably an accessory for having helped her, and 2) if the security checks go through and her AOS is finalized, divorce does not release you from your financial obligation under the I-864.

Ain't love grand!

Ian
Old Sep 7th 2005, 1:09 am

Hi Charlie,

It seems to me, that if her green card gets approved (which it sounds like it will eventually, unless security checks come back bad), then it's likely she will not be deported. You can send a letter to USCIS with your concerns, but don't forget that if you played a role in marrying her just so she can get a green card, you will also have to pay the price. And, just because you send a letter, doesn't mean USCIS will take any action either. Also, since you signed the I-864 as her sponsor, you are still her sponsor even after divorce.

I would say do whatever you need to do to move on with your own life if that's the route you choose to take, and don't be concerned with her immigration status.

Best Wishes,
Rene
Old Sep 7th 2005, 1:33 am
Account Closed

Hi Charlie,

It seems to me, that if her green card gets approved (which it sounds like it will eventually, unless security checks come back bad), then it's likely she will not be deported. You can send a letter to USCIS with your concerns, but don't forget that if you played a role in marrying her just so she can get a green card, you will also have to pay the price. And, just because you send a letter, doesn't mean USCIS will take any action either. Also, since you signed the I-864 as her sponsor, you are still her sponsor even after divorce.

I would say do whatever you need to do to move on with your own life if that's the route you choose to take, and don't be concerned with her immigration status.

Best Wishes,
Rene
Hi:

Hmm, not knowing all the facts, I have to wonder about the possiblity of an I-360 filing.
Old Sep 7th 2005, 1:47 am
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Best Wishes,
Rene
Wise words, IMHO!
Old Sep 7th 2005, 3:15 am
Tomnjerry

The last night my Russian wife slept with me was the night "before" she got
her 2 year green card! I filed for divorce as soon as I figured I had been
used!

The day after the divorce was final, she mailed her adjustment for a
"permanent" green card!

Before I figured out what happened, she was a permanent resident!

Don't feel alone!

tom

"CharlieX" <member34087@british_expats.com> wrote in message
news:[email protected] m...
    > could use some words of advice....
    > We got married 8 months ago so she could stay with me and get her green
    > card. 1 month ago we had our interview... we were approved but needed
    > to provide a certified copy of the marriage abstract and wait for the
    > FBI check.
    > She left me for someone else a few days ago. I'm ready to start divorce
    > proceedings. What I want to know is will she be in jeopardy of
    > deportation? Is there something I can do to alert the UCSIS that the
    > marriage was fradulent? I mean, I feel used and honestly don't think
    > she derserves to ride on my goodwill.
    > --
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.