Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

denials on mental health

denials on mental health

Old Jun 7th 2014, 1:47 am
Forum Regular

minxy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default denials on mental health

ok I have found one thread similar to our situation but I am really at my wits end with this whole thing and I haven't been able to find any answers so I am hoping to get something here. My husband (UK) and I (USC) met online about 4 and a half years ago. We skyped daily for a year before I made my first trip to the UK. We were engaged shortly thereafter and I returned home to the US. I made visits whenever possible(I think they total around 10) We were married on the 7th of April in 2012. We immediately filed for a spousal visa (CR-1 I believe). We have had so many issues between my health issues and problems with getting paperwork. Took us 6 months to get his military records because they had lost them! We are just passing the 2 year mark on trying to get my husband here to the US. He has passed everything so far. He just went for his medical and was sent to his GP for a note regarding his mental health. So here's the deal with that. He was married 24 years ago. 2 years later his wife gave birth to a baby boy who died in my husbands's arms shortly thereafter (6 months or so) his wife passed away. So basically his whole life just got shot down and he had an emotional break down. He was in serious depression and was considered a danger to himself. He was admitted to a facility and received treatment. Since then he managed to get his life back on track and was great met me me got married and the lot. The only problems he has now is some anxieties. He got a good report from his GP but was told by that same GP that he would most likely be denied based upon his mental health history. And that the American government was very wary of allowing people with mental health issues to enter. My husband was never a danger to anyone but himself and for the last 22 years has been perfectly fine until this jerk doctor decided to tell him this crap. So now we are both stressing over this issue. His interview in London is coming up VERY soon. Can anyone enlighten me on whether we have something to worry about?
Old Jun 7th 2014, 2:05 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: denials on mental health

Originally Posted by minxy
He got a good report from his GP but was told by that same GP that he would most likely be denied based upon his mental health history.
The GP is a twit. Fortunately for you, the GP isn't the one who makes the decisions! If it's a good report, most likely his visa will be approved.

And that the American government was very wary of allowing people with mental health issues to enter.
His GP just turned from a twit to an asshole! The US is concerned only if people are a harm to themselves or others. If a mental health issue has been resolved or is under control, it's not usually a problem.

Can anyone enlighten me on whether we have something to worry about?
Your husband is unlikely to have an issue if the report is good.

Oh... once hubby gets the visa, I suggest he report the GP to the medical association. This guy seriously needs to get raked over the coals.

Ian
Old Jun 7th 2014, 2:19 am
Forum Regular

thank you ...all this has been such a stressful situation for us. Shortly before we were married I was diagnosed with hydrocephalus and have since had 3 brain surgeries and he was not able to come over for any of them but was on skype at every single doctors appointment with me and at the hospital. We both feel we have been raked over the coals for so long when all we want is to be together as a family with our (originally my) 4 kids. Christmas over skype sucks royally. But you all have helped ease my mind a bit and hopefully his as well.

Last edited by minxy; Jun 7th 2014 at 2:22 am.
Old Jun 7th 2014, 1:28 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

The GP will have to write a letter - I would suggest your spouse is there when he dictates it, since the way it is worded can make a difference. Ultimately if he has received treatment and is now recovered it should be no problem.
Old Jun 7th 2014, 4:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe consider finding a new GP if trust is an issue.
Old Jun 7th 2014, 6:22 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by civilservant
The GP will have to write a letter - I would suggest your spouse is there when he dictates it, since the way it is worded can make a difference. Ultimately if he has received treatment and is now recovered it should be no problem.
You'd think, but there are more then one report out there of Canadian's having issues getting into the US because of past mental health issues even when resolved and many moons ago.

Not saying it will cause an issue, but just because its resolved doesn't mean it wont be an issue.
Old Jun 7th 2014, 6:27 pm
Forum Regular

breakerfall is a name known to allbreakerfall is a name known to allbreakerfall is a name known to allbreakerfall is a name known to allbreakerfall is a name known to allbreakerfall is a name known to allbreakerfall is a name known to allbreakerfall is a name known to allbreakerfall is a name known to allbreakerfall is a name known to allbreakerfall is a name known to all

In my own panicked research I’ve found stories of people with recent histories of self-harm and suicidal behaviour who have been let through after getting letters from GPs and mental health professionals.

There’s no 100% guarantee it won’t cause a problem, but it’s unlikely it will if he can get a professional to vouch for him.

I’ve gotten a letter from my GP and from a mental health professional who treated me a few years ago - that might be something to look into.

The most important thing to do is to relax. You both need to take this process one step at a time, especially if he has a history of depression. First things first is to ask the GP, or a different GP, to write him a letter. If he has any way of getting in touch with anyone who has treated him specifically for mental health issues - counsellors, psychiatrists, whatever - have him look into that too.

Last edited by breakerfall; Jun 7th 2014 at 6:41 pm.
Old Jun 8th 2014, 3:09 am
Forum Regular

well he has to pick up the letter from the GP this week and have it to the civil surgeon by Thursday. It was 80 pounds. This whole process has been greatly expensive, depressing, and extremely stressful. So yes it hasn't helped the situation and it definitely won't help to get a knockback on the visa at the interview. There isnt time to get another report. I suppose he will have to have a look at the report when he gets it. Thank you all for your input it has been a great help in relieving a bit of our worries. I will try to keep you updated.
Old Jun 12th 2014, 7:35 pm
Forum Regular

deerhunter74 is an unknown quantity at this point

Good luck hope everything works out
Old Jun 21st 2014, 1:06 am
Forum Regular

UPDATE::::: My UKC Husband went for his interview in London today.They never even brought up his mental health. They have given him a yes pending papers as he needs a German police certificate for the time he spent stationed in the army there. He is then to send this with the form they gave him and his passport to the US embassy and they will return his passport with visa approval and papers ...according to the interviewer.
Old Jun 21st 2014, 1:23 am
BE Forum Addict

quiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond repute

Great News! now stop worrying and enjoy the rest of your lives together.
Old Jun 21st 2014, 11:54 am
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

It is incumbant upon the person to answer yes to that question on the pre-check form - if he had they would have asked about it. If he didn't, well, lying to gain an immigration benefit isn't a good idea.
Old Jun 22nd 2014, 9:23 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by civilservant
It is incumbant upon the person to answer yes to that question on the pre-check form - if he had they would have asked about it. If he didn't, well, lying to gain an immigration benefit isn't a good idea.
from my understanding he did check yes and that is why the doctor required a gp note. Now on to this blue sheet it says he is to print the courier in authorization sheet..anyone know what this is?
Old Jun 22nd 2014, 9:25 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by quiltman
Great News! now stop worrying and enjoy the rest of your lives together.
We would absolutely LOVE to do this but it seems one thing after the other is being asked for or not included or something is always going wrong! We started this over 2 years ago and I am only able to go back and forth every so often. He hasnt been allowed to visit the US as of yet
Old Jun 22nd 2014, 9:30 pm
Hoppity hop...

BunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by minxy
from my understanding he did check yes and that is why the doctor required a gp note. Now on to this blue sheet it says he is to print the courier in authorization sheet..anyone know what this is?
I'm confused, I thought he'd already had his interview? He's supposed to pay the courier fee prior to the interview, hasn't he done this yet?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.