Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Debate: why vaccinations and X-rays?

Debate: why vaccinations and X-rays?

Old Apr 6th 2003, 5:36 pm
Banned

Ranjini will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by lairdside
sory about all the histopathological blagh - I don't know any other way to explain it without being hellishly inaccurate. All of this stuff is the VERY cut down version.
Are you a doctor or a pathologist You are becoming almost as bad as Matt Udall... Lol So you'd better watch out....
Old Apr 6th 2003, 6:04 pm
Howling at the Moon

lairdside will become famous soon enoughlairdside will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by Ranjini
Are you a doctor or a pathologist You are becoming almost as bad as Matt Udall... Lol So you'd better watch out....
Sorry - I remember MU posting somewhere about his being 'flamed' for long posts. Unfortunately these papers aren't writen by common and garden medics but by research scientists. Erm, yes I've done some work in this area in a "previous life"... immigration law isn't quite so tough to read after having to analyze medical research papers..and write them on occasion...lol
Old Apr 7th 2003, 2:24 am
Banned

<snip> immigration law isn't quite so tough to read after having to analyze medical research papers..and write them on occasion...lol
The problem with immigration law is that it is not specific ... not so much being hard to read.
Old Apr 7th 2003, 9:12 am
Howling at the Moon

lairdside will become famous soon enoughlairdside will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by Ranjini
The problem with immigration law is that it is not specific ... not so much being hard to read.
The impression I get of Immigration Law is that there was a reasonably coherent plan - once - but it's been tinkered with successively to try to adapt it to changing circumstances and so has grown organically.... and now much of it seems to me a cobbled together mis-match which works pretty well for 90% or more of cases but badly fails those who 'fall through the cracks'. In that respect it sounds much like many other areas of the law.
My overview is that anything with involves human participation in an effort to regulate itself inevitably ends up this way to some extent. People look to administrative decisions to clarify points which are ambiguous in the law but at the end of the day any law is only as good as the person who is responsible for interpreting and subsequently implementing it. If we have a highly techinical law then we need people capable of doing this and the current people responsible for doing this seem to be having enough trouble with the law as it is. In something which is applied to a wide range of scenarios inconsistencies are never going to be completely erradicated.
I don't doubt that changes do need to be made but the process for making such changes seems to be painfully slow by comparison to the world around it and often changes have unwanted side effects which cause deficiencies in other areas. If we could review the law today to make it 'perfect' by the time the changes were made it would be out-of-date. The two schools of thought tend to be that more and less legislation are required.... both having their pitfalls. In the meantime we change what we can and live with what we have, muddling our way through.
It's not immigration law - it's life !

Last edited by lairdside; Apr 7th 2003 at 9:14 am.
Old Apr 7th 2003, 10:00 am
Banned

The impression I get of Immigration Law is that there was a reasonably coherent plan - once - but it's been tinkered with successively to try to adapt it to changing circumstances and so has grown organically.... and now much of it seems to me a cobbled together mis-match which works pretty well for 90% or more of cases but badly fails those who 'fall through the cracks'. In that respect it sounds much like many other areas of the law.
My overview is that anything with involves human participation in an effort to regulate itself inevitably ends up this way to some extent. People look to administrative decisions to clarify points which are ambiguous in the law but at the end of the day any law is only as good as the person who is responsible for interpreting and subsequently implementing it. If we have a highly techinical law then we need people capable of doing this and the current people responsible for doing this seem to be having enough trouble with the law as it is. In something which is applied to a wide range of scenarios inconsistencies are never going to be completely erradicated.
I don't doubt that changes do need to be made but the process for making such changes seems to be painfully slow by comparison to the world around it and often changes have unwanted side effects which cause deficiencies in other areas. If we could review the law today to make it 'perfect' by the time the changes were made it would be out-of-date. The two schools of thought tend to be that more and less legislation are required.... both having their pitfalls. In the meantime we change what we can and live with what we have, muddling our way through.
It's not immigration law - it's life !
You certainly got that part right, my dear Hence the usefulness of this newsgroup... where we share our invaluable experiences which vary from consulate to consulate and from one INS office to the other. More valuable than any advice a lawyer can give. I'm sure Matt and his side-kick have learned a thing or two from browsing the daily posts....
Old Apr 26th 2003, 5:38 am
BE Enthusiast

Duckie is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by ccalgreen
Just a thought - even though the varicella (chicken pox) vaccine isn't available in the U.K., and therefore isn't required for the K-1 interview at the USEL, will I be required to get it for AoS in the U.S.?
what you mean not availlable? maybe that was just the lazy doctors response. i just went last week to my doc (in germany). and said that i would like to have a Td shot and the varicella shots. she said that varicella is not beeing done here. oh why not, what is it good for? oh, interesting, chicken pox - i had that as kid already. but i dont have a medical record on it. i told her that i need it for immigration and that the us has some rather differant understanding of the needed vaccinations. she sent me 15 minutes in the waiting room. asked me back in, and i could see her spend another 10 minutes thumbing through a big book with medicine. at least she KNEW about the EXISTANCE of that shot somewhere. after some more waiting and her calling around she gave me the Td shot inbetween and sent me home then, and i had to come back next day - she would have information by then. i came back, got a recipe and went to order the varicella shot. the only side effects are a mild version of chicken pox in very rare cases. for a thing that is not supposed to be here in germany, it was nonetherless in a overnight delivery in the drug store (i went in the evening, and next morning it was there).

for the ones interested, the only varicella shot availlable in germany (my doc complained she could not choose between differant ones) is:

name: Varilrix (R)
manufacturer: GlaxoSmithKline Biologicals s.a., Rue de l'Institut, 89, 1330 Rixensart, Belgium
package: dry stuff (56 mg) some wet stuff to be mixed (0.5 ml)
dosis: 2 shouts at least 6 weeks apart with this particular brand

hope that was helpful to some

p.s.: maybe i should note, that the doc might have been only so nice with me, as i am not insured by a main government supported health insurance, and thus need pay premium rates - and i bet she will write "very long advisory talk" - damn doctors they always write that on the bill, even if they only said hello and good bye - but i dont complain, i just do what cannot be prevented - i only want the k-1 and all the other stuff over and done with :P
Old Apr 26th 2003, 11:09 am
I'm back!

Just Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Duckie
what you mean not availlable? maybe that was just the lazy doctors response.
I doubt that all the doctors in the UK are simply being "lazy." The Varicella vaccine is just that -- not available in the UK. That's not the same thing as doctors rarely innoculating people for chicken pox.

Even the US Embassy in London acknowledges this, which is why that particular vaccination is not required for UK residents going through the US immigration process:

http://www.usembassy.org.uk/cons_web...ccinechart.htm

~ Jenney
Old Apr 26th 2003, 12:53 pm
Forum Regular

ccalgreen is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Jenney & Mark
I doubt that all the doctors in the UK are simply being "lazy." The Varicella vaccine is just that -- not available in the UK. That's not the same thing as doctors rarely innoculating people for chicken pox.

Even the US Embassy in London acknowledges this, which is why that particular vaccination is not required for UK residents going through the US immigration process:

http://www.usembassy.org.uk/cons_web...ccinechart.htm

~ Jenney
Thanks Jenney! Things may be different in Germany, but I am no authority on that! What I want to know is, will I have to have the varicella jab as part of the AoS procedure?

CLEM
Old Apr 26th 2003, 1:03 pm
L D Jones

Default Re: Debate: why vaccinations and X-rays?

Duckie wrote:
    >
    > Originally posted by ccalgreen
    > > Just a thought - even though the varicella (chicken pox) vaccine isn't
    > > available in the U.K., and therefore isn't required for the K-1
    > > interview at the USEL, will I be required to get it for AoS in the
    > > U.S.?
    > what you mean not availlable? maybe that was just the lazy doctors
    > response. i just went last week to my doc (in germany). and said that i

Unavailable means just that. The varicella vaccination is not available
in the UK and the consulate is well aware of this (of course). We did
not even try to get the vaccination once we learned this. If I recall my