Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

DCF in New Delhi - I-130 Approved!!

Wikiposts

DCF in New Delhi - I-130 Approved!!

Old Feb 10th 2004, 2:00 pm
Just Joined

mickmosh is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: DCF in New Delhi - I-130 Approved!!

Originally posted by meauxna
Mick, with DCF there will be no I-129f or K3 visa. If you are filing I-130 at the Consulate (which you say you did), once it is approved, your spouse can apply for an Immigrant Visa, a different critter than what most here are applying for.
Hi meauxna,
Thanks for your reply.
You mean to say I don't need to do the I129F at all? I am confused cos the INS website doesn't really provide any details on what route to follow in case of DCF.
Old Feb 10th 2004, 4:03 pm
Just Joined

nitin is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by mickmosh
Hi meauxna,
Thanks for your reply.
You mean to say I don't need to do the I129F at all? I am confused cos the INS website doesn't really provide any details on what route to follow in case of DCF.
From what I really understand, you need I-129F if you are filling for her K3 visa, which really is a Non-immigrant visa. I-130 gets you a immigrant visa, and since that visa takes about year and 1/2 to process, clinton brought out K3 visa under LIFE act which enables spouses to come to USA and wait here while their I-130 application is getting processed. In case of DCF, you only need to file I-130. And that would get you a immigrant visa.

Nitin
Old Feb 10th 2004, 9:30 pm
Forum Regular

sunil is an unknown quantity at this point

Your I-130 does not leave delhi. Delhi has it's own BCIS office and do not send docs to NVC. In your case, once the DCF is done, all you have to do now is to wait for packet 3. In our case, the embassy skipped packet 3 and sent us packet 4, hence the short timeline. The procedure is the following under normal condition.
1) DCF - Delhi approves it the same day.
2) You recieve packet 3 30-35 days later.
3) Return completed DS-230 part one and checklist.
4) You recieve packet 4 in another 30 days with interview date.
Old Feb 10th 2004, 10:46 pm
Just Joined

Originally posted by sunil
Your I-130 does not leave delhi. Delhi has it's own BCIS office and do not send docs to NVC. In your case, once the DCF is done, all you have to do now is to wait for packet 3. In our case, the embassy skipped packet 3 and sent us packet 4, hence the short timeline. The procedure is the following under normal condition.
Thanks Sunil. I guess I had it all wrong. I thought that even if I follow the DCF route, I have to continue with the rest of the process. Is there a particular reason(did you submit some extra docs with the I-130) for the embassy skipping packet 3 in your case?
Old Feb 11th 2004, 5:06 am
Forum Regular

purvi is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by mickey79
Purvi,

I'm hoping you can help me out on this one.. i'm making another new post about this issue as well..

I am not exactly sure but somehow my memory tells me that i read about this somewhere quite a while back..
Is the entire Affidavit of Support Forms & Documents supposed to be sealed & sent by my wife.. which ONLY the Embassy is allowed to open??

My wife has already sent me all her papers, documents, supporting documents & the I-864 forms.. alongwith a copy of all her original documents for me to keep just in case. But she didn't send it sealed and i have opened them. Is that alright? Or like the Medican Examination Report packet, only the Embassy people are supposed to open it??

Secondly, she made 2 minor mistakes in the forms.. in numbers. I plan to white-out the number and correct the figure.. is that going to be a problem??

Please advise as soon as you can. My interview is on the 19th february.. i have just two weeks left and if things need to be changed my wife will have to send me the Form all over again from US.

Thanks a ton!

Mickey.
Old Feb 11th 2004, 5:07 am
Forum Regular

purvi is an unknown quantity at this point

Purvi,

I'm hoping you can help me out on this one.. i'm making another new post about this issue as well..

I am not exactly sure but somehow my memory tells me that i read about this somewhere quite a while back..
Is the entire Affidavit of Support Forms & Documents supposed to be sealed & sent by my wife.. which ONLY the Embassy is allowed to open??

My wife has already sent me all her papers, documents, supporting documents & the I-864 forms.. alongwith a copy of all her original documents for me to keep just in case. But she didn't send it sealed and i have opened them. Is that alright? Or like the Medican Examination Report packet, only the Embassy people are supposed to open it??

Secondly, she made 2 minor mistakes in the forms.. in numbers. I plan to white-out the number and correct the figure.. is that going to be a problem??

Please advise as soon as you can. My interview is on the 19th february.. i have just two weeks left and if things need to be changed my wife will have to send me the Form all over again from US.

Thanks a ton!

Mickey.
hi mickey,

No the affidavit of support should not be sealed.
Regarding the mistakes, hmm i think it wuld be better if u can ask ur wife to send in the corrected forms, cos its better to play safe at mumbai,
all the best
Old Feb 11th 2004, 9:55 am
Just Joined

Sunil,

Is it possible to track the progress of the New Delhi DCF Filing online? I tried to put my case number on the uscis.gov website but it doesn't work.
Old Feb 11th 2004, 11:01 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Is it possible to track the progress of the New Delhi DCF Filing online? I tried to put my case number on the uscis.gov website but it doesn't work.
Mick, I don't think you 'get it' about DCF yet. If you want information on what your spouse will apply for, look up 'Immigrant Visa" or CR-1 visa for the processing rules.

There's no looking it up...USCIS has nothing to do with you now or in this particular process. They have given some consulates Special Powers(tm) to process your petition.

Base on what the others have said here, I would think your spouse could look for the P3 by the end of this month. Of course, nothing stops you from having all that information ready so that the forms can be returned immediately.... and then a visa appointment for the spouse one month following.

pax,
mo
Old Feb 11th 2004, 12:09 pm
Forum Regular

Sunil,

Like i said before, your case never leaves Delhi, therefore USCIS site will not help you. Currently there is no tracking mechanism at the US embassy. Once, you return your packet 3 to them, few weeks later, they will post your interview date on the site. See link http://newdelhi.usembassy.gov/wwwhint.html Since the site is updated on the 3rd week of each month for the following month, it would be around march when you'd see your info on the site, and april as your interview month.
Old Feb 16th 2004, 2:19 am
Forum Regular

AshB is an unknown quantity at this point

Nitin,

Sunil's right.. you have to certainly do a lot more digging and this forum is a good place to begin. Get all your information organized so you don't miss out on anything. Its' always good to be well equipped. DCF definately requires all prompt & accurate information.

You definately need to be a USC to apply for DCF, and you can apply right away, not a problem. I applied just a couple of weeks after my wedding
There is no "honeymoon" requirement for DCF.

Your US address would be your permanent address on the application if that's where you are staying permanently. But check up on that further.

The bigger the wedding ceremony is always better, but if everything is in order, i dont' forsee any problem if it's not very grand. My wedding had about 50 attendees. Didn't really have a problem. Although we did have a very large Reception later.
The wedding ceremony photos are most important.. especially the ones which show the religious rituals (like 7 pheras).

Your girlfriend can go pick up the application from the Embassy but you both have to go together, in person, when filing the I-130. After that she can go alone for the final interview which should be 2 months from filing the I-130.

I don't see any reason for waiting after becoming a USC, for the marriage.. but again, check up on that further.

I can understand if her parents are concerned.. which is all the more reasons for you to dig up the necassary information so you do the thing right. If what you find is something you don't see a problem with, just go with DCF because it is safe and quick..

Stay Great
Mickey
Question to Micky, Sunil, Puravi and those who went thru this process:
I am from India and USC now. My daughter is also US Citizen and has a boyfriend from India. She is going to India this May and planning to get "Registered Marriage" in India and file DCF in Delhi. We are palanning ceremonial wedding in January 2005.
But to get the Visa in hand she is planning to get Registered Marriage. I read in one of the posting that bigger ceremony is better proof, will she have problem getting I-130 approval? Both are 26 years old and never married before. Also she is going there for a month only and planning to file within 2 weeks after going there, any suggestions? Thanks.
Old Feb 16th 2004, 9:31 pm
Forum Regular

From what i have read here, most registered and smaller weddings are rejected for DCF. If your daughter goes for registered marriage, she will most likely be asked to apply from Local US BCIS office.
On the other hand, you may want to try with registered marriage, but if they reject, go back after a traditional wedding.
Old Feb 17th 2004, 12:51 pm
Forum Regular

amol_k3 is an unknown quantity at this point

From what i have read here, most registered and smaller weddings are rejected for DCF. If your daughter goes for registered marriage, she will most likely be asked to apply from Local US BCIS office.
On the other hand, you may want to try with registered marriage, but if they reject, go back after a traditional wedding.
Yes, I've read a lot of posts as well that for the DCF, they want to see pictures of a traditional wedding, in particular pictures taking the "phera" around the fire. People have said that pictures from an Arya Samaj wedding are acceptable. Though without pictures from a traditional wedding, it seems they may not accept the DCF and will forward the file to a USCIS office.

Regards,
Amol
Old Feb 18th 2004, 12:12 am
Forum Regular

AshB is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by amol_k3
Yes, I've read a lot of posts as well that for the DCF, they want to see pictures of a traditional wedding, in particular pictures taking the "phera" around the fire. People have said that pictures from an Arya Samaj wedding are acceptable. Though without pictures from a traditional wedding, it seems they may not accept the DCF and will forward the file to a USCIS office.

Regards,
Amol
Thanks Sunil & Amol for your replies.