DCF Interview - Friday

Old Jul 18th 2011, 8:57 pm
Forum Regular

CandK is just really niceCandK is just really niceCandK is just really niceCandK is just really niceCandK is just really niceCandK is just really niceCandK is just really niceCandK is just really nice
Default Re: DCF Interview - Friday

Originally Posted by meauxna
C&K, I'm so sorry I didn't post this for you before (or did I?).

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Immigrant_Visa_Arrival

Your questions about the SSN are answered in there.

Interesting question about the I-864 & Joint Sponsor. I ended up in the same situation myself. I don't know how you get the answer. Tell your Joint Sponsor to file I-865 if they move, just to CYA and naturalize at your earliest oppt'y and kill the thing altogether.
Naturalize = Become USC?

I will have a look at what the I-865 is today so I know more about it. Just wondering if the USCIS may find it strange (or even amusing - Since they have a great sense of humour )if they receive an I-865 from somebody that isn't even on their records as a joint sponsor.

Good link to the Wiki by the way...I will check more out on there later so I know what to do in future. (If anything) I know the 'Welcome to America' thing has a wealth of information on there. (Strangely, I looked through all of the booklet a very long time before I got here - I guess, I did have faith)

Thanks again,

CandK
Old Aug 8th 2011, 4:49 pm
Forum Regular

CandK is just really niceCandK is just really niceCandK is just really niceCandK is just really niceCandK is just really niceCandK is just really niceCandK is just really niceCandK is just really nice

Originally Posted by meauxna
C&K, I'm so sorry I didn't post this for you before (or did I?).

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Immigrant_Visa_Arrival

Your questions about the SSN are answered in there.

Interesting question about the I-864 & Joint Sponsor. I ended up in the same situation myself. I don't know how you get the answer. Tell your Joint Sponsor to file I-865 if they move, just to CYA and naturalize at your earliest oppt'y and kill the thing altogether.
Hi, I just read this in the above link for the Wiki: Welcome home! For your documents, you can expect your Green Card and Social Security card (if ordered) to arrive in the mail within 4 weeks. Remember, your endorsed visa is used the same way as your Green Card (for employment, identification etc) and should be carried on you. If you have not received a Welcome Letter from USCIS, or anything from the Social Security Administration within 3 weeks of arrival, you should go into the SSA office to chase up your SS card application.

I have marked in red for ease of reference.

Now, I have received my Greencard and my welcome letter but not my SS Card (or number)...I definitely ticked the box on the form to state that I would need a SSN.

I entered the US and became permanent resident on 14th July...would it be worth going down to the local SSA Office and chasing it up now?

Thanks,

CandK
Old Aug 8th 2011, 5:41 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

You're right on the cusp. You can go to a SSA office if you wish, it's been just about long enough, but it also wouldn't be too surprising if your SSA card showed up in the mail the next day!

Regards, JEff
Old Aug 8th 2011, 5:45 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by jeffreyhy
You're right on the cusp. You can go to a SSA office if you wish, it's been just about long enough, but it also wouldn't be too surprising if your SSA card showed up in the mail the next day!

Regards, JEff
Thanks. I did call them the other day to see if they have received my application but she didn't seem to know what she was talking about.

When I told people, they said that's expected as she works for the government. haha

Maybe I will leave visiting the local office until Friday then.

If I was to go in to the office, do you know if they will be able to issue the card or number there and then or will I have another wait to endure?

Thanks again,

CandK
Old Aug 8th 2011, 6:54 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

If the "them" that you called was a local SSA office, I expect that they don't have any idea about what might be going on with respect to issuing you a SS number and card via your immigrant visa application. It's not something they get involved with. Even a national customer service phone rep might not have access to the necessary information.

A local office cannot issue a card to you. They will take the application and you will get the card in the mail a few weeks later. If I remember correctly, there's a number that you can call a few days later to find out what your number is.

If you haven't already, take a look at the SSA web site.
Old Aug 9th 2011, 3:35 pm
Forum Regular

BecFern008 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi there- Since you have just gone through the process, can you please clarify for me whether there is another payment taking at the london embassy on the day of your interview for the processing of the visa?

The only fees I could find on the Embassy website was the $420 for the I-130 and the £210 for the medical exam. Sorry to gatecrash your post
Old Aug 9th 2011, 5:38 pm

http://london.usembassy.gov/immigran...s/iv_fees.html

Regards, JEff

Originally Posted by BecFern008
The only fees I could find on the Embassy website was the $420 for the I-130 and the £210 for the medical exam. Sorry to gatecrash your post
Old Aug 9th 2011, 8:01 pm
Forum Regular

BecFern008 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks Jeffrey! Every time I tried to open this page from google at work today, it said the page was no longer available!

Many thanks
Bec