DCF

Old Mar 20th 2001, 12:27 pm
flutterby7777

What is DCF? Can anyone explain.

Old Mar 20th 2001, 1:02 pm
billypilgrim

Ah, yes, those abbreviations we all use! It took me awhile to get used to them too.

DCF is "Direct Consular Filing". You get married in the non-citizen's home country,
then file the I-130. The catch is, instead of filing through INS in the United
States, you file in the aforementioned non-citizen's home country at the Embassy (or
"consulate", hence "direct consular filing"). I already mentioned it in your "unique
situation" post.

The reason I say "catch" is that some foreign countries allow you to do DCF if you
(the US citizen) are NOT a resident of that country. If this is the case, you are
home free (assuming you're approved). But in many countries, you (the US citizen)
need to be a resident to do DCF. England is one of those countries. Therefore, unless
you are planning on living in England first, you cannot do DCF, as I mentioned in the
other post.

Good luck. I know it seems overwhelming now, but read read read everything you can,
and it will all start to make sense.

----------

>

Old Mar 21st 2001, 6:31 am
jb

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

I didn't know what DCF meant when I first encountered it either. One reason is
because, on the US Embassy in London web pages for example, the term is never used.
For I-130 petitions they just have something like "the Embassy accepts I-130 and
I-360 Petitions by post if the petitioner (U.S. Citizen or Lawful Permanent Resident
of the United States) is presently residing in the United Kingdom."

This leads me to believe that "DCF" is not an "offcial term" or acronym. Out of
curiousity does anyone know?

Old Mar 21st 2001, 6:50 am
Alvena Ferreira

jb wrote:
    >
    >

NO, it is NOT official, and anyone inquiring of a consulate whether they will do DCF
should word their inquiry in this manner:

"I am not a resident of (the country in question), however I am a US citizen. If I
come to your country and marry my fiance there in (name of the country), will you
allow me to file an I-130 directly at your consulate so that my spouse may immigrate
to the US?"

alvena marriage visa pages at: http://www2.apex.net/users/thehydes

DCF pages at: http://www2.apex.net/users/thehydes/dcf.html

Old Mar 21st 2001, 7:31 am
Forum Regular

Harry is a jewel in the roughHarry is a jewel in the roughHarry is a jewel in the roughHarry is a jewel in the rough

Originally posted by billypilgrim
Ah, yes, those abbreviations we all use! It took me awhile to get used to them too.

explain.[/usenetquote]
haha! No shit! I absorbed pretty much all of what I now know about the process in one 8 hour sitting (mostly thanks to Alvena's great site!). I thought my head was going to explode by the end of it! My rule of thumb is that if it has a number after it, it must be something official, and that everything else is just a non-official abbreviation.