criminal record

Old Sep 6th 2005, 11:10 pm
Just Joined

daeasy78 is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy criminal record

hey people i am planning to marry a US citizen next summer she has already applied for the correct forms. But i am a little worried about the effect of me having a criminal record will have on my application. I was arrested twice as a student for drunk and disorderly.....and also have a conviction for drink driving.....i know that these are comparatively minor offences but i am worried that they may effect my acceptance for the visa......is there anyone that has been in the same situation and has successfully been granted the K1 visa?....or anyone that can help put my mind at ease a little....thanks
Old Sep 7th 2005, 12:32 am
Banned

Terrier is a splendid one to beholdTerrier is a splendid one to beholdTerrier is a splendid one to beholdTerrier is a splendid one to beholdTerrier is a splendid one to beholdTerrier is a splendid one to beholdTerrier is a splendid one to beholdTerrier is a splendid one to beholdTerrier is a splendid one to beholdTerrier is a splendid one to beholdTerrier is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: criminal record

Originally Posted by daeasy78
hey people i am planning to marry a US citizen next summer she has already applied for the correct forms. But i am a little worried about the effect of me having a criminal record will have on my application. I was arrested twice as a student for drunk and disorderly.....and also have a conviction for drink driving.....i know that these are comparatively minor offences but i am worried that they may effect my acceptance for the visa......is there anyone that has been in the same situation and has successfully been granted the K1 visa?....or anyone that can help put my mind at ease a little....thanks
Three convictions all involving booze, can't say either way but it would be my recommendation to get an experienced immigration attorney. How long ago were the convictions?
Old Sep 7th 2005, 12:34 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Terrier
Three convictions all involving booze, can't say either way but it would be my recommendation to get an experienced immigration attorney. How long ago were the convictions?
also what were the sentences and what were the maximum sentences that could have been imposed...
Old Sep 7th 2005, 1:16 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

I was arrested twice as a student for drunk and disorderly.....and also have a conviction for drink driving...
Personally, I think we have too many drunks in the US as it is. Additionally, there is a high rate of recidivism with alcohol-related incidents, and a DUI is only one step away from vehicular manslaughter. Feel free to stay where you are.

Ian
Old Sep 7th 2005, 3:32 am
Shocked of Redmond

nettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond repute

D 'n' D is a civil offense in most cases, in which case it won't count against you under section 212(a), which deals with inadmissability under criminal grounds. I don't know about DUI. However, I would get advice from a lawyer in any case: If nothing else it will enable you to put things in perspective and stop worrying about scenarios that are unlikely to occur...
Old Sep 7th 2005, 1:14 pm
Just Joined

daeasy78 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Bob
also what were the sentences and what were the maximum sentences that could have been imposed...
the first was an arrest and caution for drunk and disorderly
the second time i went to court and was given a £40 fine and a bound over to behave for 12 months which i did...both these offences were about 5 years ago
the drink drive was march 2005 and i got a 16 month ban from driving and a £200 fine and £70 court costs........my ban is reduced to 12 months as i voluntarily attended a HAPAS course (government sponsored drink and drive awareness course which cost me another £200) with drink drive sentences it all depends on the level of alcohol....and whether you have carried out the same offence before.....and this governs the sentence....i believe the maximum sentence is 3 year ban and upto 6 months in prison....also can be asked to carry out a medical to get back liscence at end of ban........so on the scale of things my ban is near the lower end of the scale.....lowest is a 12 month ban and this is the mandantory minimum