Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

CR1 Visa Interview in London- Help!

CR1 Visa Interview in London- Help!

Old Aug 21st 2013, 9:30 am
Just Joined

adamweitzelleishman is an unknown quantity at this point
Default CR1 Visa Interview in London- Help!

Hello,

I have a few questions about my upcoming interview, and I have only been able to find contradicting answers when I search the web, so I'm hoping this group may have more knowledge than the rest of the internet! This is my first post, so go easy on me please, even if the questions may seem a bit stupid!

So my interview for my CR1 visa in on September 18th at 8 am. First, I'm wondering what time I should really be there, as it seems there is often a queue?

I would also like to bring my wife with me (she is the American citizen, and I am the UK citizen, obviously). Can I just bring her along or do I need to get permission for someone first? Or would it be better/faster if I left her at the hotel?

I'm also unsure on what documents I need to bring with me to my interview? Some people are saying nothing, some seem to bring a lot.

Finally, if I do (hopefully) get approved, I have seen that you may pay extra to get your new passport with visa delivered to you sooner than 5-10 days. If so, does anyone know what that would cost?

And I know this is impossible to really pinpoint, but about how long should I expect to be at the embassy?

Thanks so much!

Adam
Old Aug 21st 2013, 12:07 pm
Just Joined

Hangrald is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: CR1 Visa Interview in London- Help!

Originally Posted by adamweitzelleishman
So my interview for my CR1 visa in on September 18th at 8 am. First, I'm wondering what time I should really be there, as it seems there is often a queue?
They say not to arrive more than a half-hour before your appointment. I was there probably about 7.20am for my 8am appointment and was in by 8am with no problem -- it was waiting for the embassy to open and the line to begin moving that was the slow part, not the queue itself.

I would also like to bring my wife with me (she is the American citizen, and I am the UK citizen, obviously). Can I just bring her along or do I need to get permission for someone first? Or would it be better/faster if I left her at the hotel?
You have to contact them and have her added to the list. Details about how to do this should be on your interview letter.

I'm also unsure on what documents I need to bring with me to my interview? Some people are saying nothing, some seem to bring a lot.
Bring the documents you had to assemble prior to sending your DS-2001. They're listed here. Some people say to also bring anything that can support your case: evidence of your life together, and proof of your intent to move. I didn't need to show these things, but if you've got them it doesn't hurt to put them in a folder.

And I know this is impossible to really pinpoint, but about how long should I expect to be at the embassy?
I was out by 9am, but it can depend on a number of factors. If you're there later than 1pm, you've probably gotten lost or arrested.

Most people find it a simple, quick experience that's actually quite anti-climatic. Just make sure you're there on time, with the documents you need, and answer the questions you're asked.
Old Aug 21st 2013, 12:19 pm
Mouthy Yank

Speedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond repute

Short version:

Be at the office first thing in the morning. There is often a queue. Don't bring anything with you except your paperwork (a copy of every official document you submitted as an original, and an original of every official document you submitted as a copy, and a copy of everything else in case they've lost it), and not in a large bag such as a backpack. You cannot bring anything electronic with you. Leave your gadgetry (including transponder car keys) at the pharmacy around the corner; they hold things for a nominal fee. Your wife will need advance permission to enter, and this is often fouled up (spouses left off the list through some miscommunication), but it isn't actually important or even expected for her to accompany you. The extra fee isn't really to get your passport delivered to you sooner (or it wasn't several weeks ago when my husband paid for his); you can pay extra to have it delivered early on the day it arrives. You have to do this online now.

Check in the marriage-related section of the forum for excellent writeups on what actually happens at the interview.

Last edited by Speedwell; Aug 21st 2013 at 12:25 pm.
Old Aug 21st 2013, 5:39 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

What documents you need to bring depends, in part, on whether the petition was submitted to a USCIS lockbox in the USA or to the USCIS field office in London. You don't say which.
I'm also unsure on what documents I need to bring with me to my interview?
"nothing" is definitely incorrect, "a lot" is way too vague.
Some people are saying nothing, some seem to bring a lot.
Regards, JEff
Old Aug 21st 2013, 6:24 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Speedwell
Check in the marriage-related section of the forum for excellent writeups on what actually happens at the interview.
Thread has been moved to the Marriage-Based Visa section.

Rene
Old Aug 22nd 2013, 10:58 am
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

If your interview is for 8am, ten you really must be there at .30 ready for opening. They begin the interviews promptly at 8am.
Old Aug 22nd 2013, 3:10 pm
Forum Regular

austamck is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello,

I have a few questions about my upcoming interview, and I have only been able to find contradicting answers when I search the web, so I'm hoping this group may have more knowledge than the rest of the internet! This is my first post, so go easy on me please, even if the questions may seem a bit stupid!

Finally, if I do (hopefully) get approved, I have seen that you may pay extra to get your new passport with visa delivered to you sooner than 5-10 days. If so, does anyone know what that would cost?

Thanks so much!

Adam
Hi Adam,

Im waiting for my Husbands Interview date - how long from when you filed your DS-2001 and getting your interview letter with the date?

Thanks

Austa
Old Aug 22nd 2013, 3:12 pm
Mouthy Yank

Speedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond repute

Gah. I always feel like I'm tracking two completely different conversations sometimes on these threads. Mods, can we pleeeeeeeeeeze do a sticky for the category that explains the difference between DCF and filing in the US, and exhorts posters to clarify which track they're on?
Old Aug 22nd 2013, 4:09 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Speedwell
Mods, can we pleeeeeeeeeeze do a sticky for the category that explains the difference between DCF and filing in the US, and exhorts posters to clarify which track they're on?
Right - as though they'll actually read that prior to posting! Most people don't even read the Forum Usage Guidelines prior to posting!

Ian
Old Aug 22nd 2013, 4:28 pm
Mouthy Yank

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
Right - as though they'll actually read that prior to posting! Most people don't even read the Forum Usage Guidelines prior to posting!

Ian
Ian, most people don't even read the original post prior to posting a response in the thread. I just thought it could be something to point to when the confusion inevitably arises.