Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

cr1 and starting a business

cr1 and starting a business

Old May 11th 2010, 1:46 pm
Forum Regular

wareagle is a name known to allwareagle is a name known to allwareagle is a name known to allwareagle is a name known to allwareagle is a name known to allwareagle is a name known to allwareagle is a name known to allwareagle is a name known to allwareagle is a name known to allwareagle is a name known to allwareagle is a name known to all
Default cr1 and starting a business

hi all,

so I've just got back from the good old US where I managed to have a meeting with several epople about starting up my own business.

I'll be starting an LLC in Austin, and it will be suprisingly easy.....

How is this relevant o a marriage visa you ask. Well, we shall be starting the DCF CR1 in London soon. We will need a sponsor as wife has worked in Uk for last year, getting a sponsor wont be an issue.

My question is I suppose for interview stage. I'm sure they'll ask how I intend to support myself. Should I mention that I'll be starting a business and hope they see it as good for the economy, or should I keep schtum, let the wife and joint sponsor take care of the support side and say I'll be looking fro work when I get there.

Not a deal breaker but would be interested to hear your thoughts

Cheers
Old May 11th 2010, 1:58 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: cr1 and starting a business

They might ask you what type of work you do, but they will not ask how you intend to support yourself. That is what your sponsor is for.

You can be honest and say you are intending to start your own business. You will be a permanent resident and will have the ability to do that legally.
Old May 11th 2010, 3:26 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

we,

They won't see your business as good for anything until it's up and running and making money.

Why? Many people have good ideas and good intentions. Some of those people succeed, many of them fail. The consular officers won't be placing bets on you, the law tells them to say 'show me the cash'.

Regards, JEff

Originally Posted by wareagle
Should I mention that I'll be starting a business and hope they see it as good for the economy,
Old May 11th 2010, 4:00 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

My question is I suppose for interview stage. I'm sure they'll ask how I intend to support myself. Should I mention that I'll be starting a business and hope they see it as good for the economy, or should I keep schtum, let the wife and joint sponsor take care of the support side and say I'll be looking fro work when I get there.
You're sure? You'll be handing over a contract that is supposed to make that question moot.
You may be asked about what work you plan to do in the US; my guess is that telling about your business plans will be either neutral or positive information WRT your visa case.
Old May 12th 2010, 12:30 pm
Forum Regular

wareagle is a name known to allwareagle is a name known to allwareagle is a name known to allwareagle is a name known to allwareagle is a name known to allwareagle is a name known to allwareagle is a name known to allwareagle is a name known to allwareagle is a name known to allwareagle is a name known to allwareagle is a name known to all

thanks for the replies.

I think I'll just keep quiet about it unless asked, then I might mention I was thinking of starting of a business.

Ultimately, if I have a co-sponsor and meet the i-864??? requirements I guess it doesnt matter what I'll be doing there!
Old May 12th 2010, 12:45 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

thanks for the replies.

I think I'll just keep quiet about it unless asked, then I might mention I was thinking of starting of a business.

Ultimately, if I have a co-sponsor and meet the i-864??? requirements I guess it doesnt matter what I'll be doing there!

Well no matter how you cut it, you won't be given an immediate relative visa unless you have a sponsor (and if they are unable to meet the financial criteria = a co-sponsor).

In 90% of all interviews that have been posted, intending immigrants are asked what field of work they are in. Telling them you are hoping to start your own business will not sway them, one way or the other. You are making far too much of it.