Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

CR1, flexibility of consulate interview

CR1, flexibility of consulate interview

Old Nov 30th 2021, 9:34 pm
Just Joined

eyedontknow is an unknown quantity at this point
Default CR1, flexibility of consulate interview

I am a UK citizen currently awaiting approval of I-130 application by my USC spouse. We both currently live in Mexico together as we cannot be together in either UK or USA.
I am keen to know from others about the flexibility that we are granted with regard to the date of the interview at the consulate. I understand that the Consulate contacts you with a proposed interview date. Are you then free to request another date or push it back? I realise most people are trying to speed up the process, but I am trying to slow it down so I can postpone my visit to the consulte in the UK and stay in Mexico as long as possible. Thanks!
Old Dec 1st 2021, 1:06 am
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: CR1, flexibility of consulate interview

When I was doing K-1 in London I'm fairly certain it was me that booked the date.
​​​
Old Dec 11th 2021, 5:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

zzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: CR1, flexibility of consulate interview

Originally Posted by tom169
When I was doing K-1 in London I'm fairly certain it was me that booked the date.
​​​
...And I'm fairly certain that my interview date was assigned to me, but I was a CR-1, and I was under the impression that I could have rebooked the date however the interwebs gave the impression that it was preferable not to...
What was an option was the slowing down of the process on your part, are going CR-1 or K-1? You don't give a lot of info on timescales but I'm guessing that you are utilising the 180 day tourist visa in Mexico? You don't say how long it is since the I-130 was submitted and I don't know how long the process is taking at the moment but our process could have been as short as 14 months, we stretched it 18 months from start to finish to suit my timescales. It could have been stretched out a lot longer by delaying return of paperwork etc. Either way, if I were staying in Mexico I'd have had to leave the country three times to renew my tourist visa...