Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

CR-1 Visa Timeline/Journey!

CR-1 Visa Timeline/Journey!

Old Jun 30th 2017, 4:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

KK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: CR-1 Visa Timeline/Journey!

Hello, all!

I'm still a bit absent from the forums (apologies - I really do want to update my cat-transport thread, especially, and be involved for others - I will be back with you ASAP), but just wanted to update this thread with the latest in our timeline.

We received our case number today (a long seven weeks after the date on our NOA2), so have now paid the affidavit of support fee and submitted the DS-260. Now waiting for the affidavit fee to be processed so that my husband can complete the I-864EZ, and I can submit the DS-261 and pay the relevant fees.

Judging by the seven week wait for a case number, it seems the administration processes might currently be taking a little longer than one might come to expect from the suggested averages (or perhaps we were just unlucky). We did try calling the NVC a couple of times over the past couple of weeks, but could never get through to a human. But never mind! Glad to finally be another step closer.
Old Jul 1st 2017, 11:40 am
Forum Regular

aless02 has a reputation beyond reputealess02 has a reputation beyond reputealess02 has a reputation beyond reputealess02 has a reputation beyond reputealess02 has a reputation beyond reputealess02 has a reputation beyond reputealess02 has a reputation beyond reputealess02 has a reputation beyond reputealess02 has a reputation beyond reputealess02 has a reputation beyond reputealess02 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by KK85
Hello, all!

I'm still a bit absent from the forums (apologies - I really do want to update my cat-transport thread, especially, and be involved for others - I will be back with you ASAP), but just wanted to update this thread with the latest in our timeline.

We received our case number today (a long seven weeks after the date on our NOA2), so have now paid the affidavit of support fee and submitted the DS-260. Now waiting for the affidavit fee to be processed so that my husband can complete the I-864EZ, and I can submit the DS-261 and pay the relevant fees.

Judging by the seven week wait for a case number, it seems the administration processes might currently be taking a little longer than one might come to expect from the suggested averages (or perhaps we were just unlucky). We did try calling the NVC a couple of times over the past couple of weeks, but could never get through to a human. But never mind! Glad to finally be another step closer.

Good to hear! I hope you get your interview soon, I know you've been waiting such a long time. Was just wondering how you were getting on the other day.
Old Jul 22nd 2017, 9:33 am
BE Enthusiast

KK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond repute

Finally, another update!

N.B. I've noticed an error in my previous message on this thread; I mentioned that we had submitted the DS-260 and were waiting to submit the DS-261, but it was of course actually the other way around. My apologies for this. I wonder if a mod is able to edit (or enable me to edit) that post? If not, please consider this the correction. Sorry!

Today, on the CEAC site, the IV fee finally changed from 'in process' to 'paid', so I was able to complete and submit the DS-260. That fee took a total of nine days to be processed. The affidavit of support fee took twelve. The site recommends to allow 2-3 days for fee processing, so do take that with a pinch of salt and try not to hold your breath! Once my husband is out of work today, he will gather his financial documents and copies of my supporting documents, and submit our package to the NVC.

I have created a blog and updated my signature with a link to it - it offers a more detailed timeline of my CR-1 process so far, including all these fiddly bits like waiting for fees to be processed. I thought it might be handy to have available, with all the info in one place and at the click of a button, for anyone else currently going through (or interested in) the process. I'll be updating it as and when things progress.

Assuming our package will reach the NVC by the end of next week at the latest, fingers crossed we won't be quite so unlucky as we have been so far with processing times, and they will be in touch again sooner rather than later.
Old Jul 22nd 2017, 12:42 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Today, on the CEAC site, the IV fee finally changed from 'in process' to 'paid', so I was able to complete and submit the DS-260.
Happy news!

Ian
Old Jul 22nd 2017, 2:23 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Great! One more step completed towards the visa.
Old Jul 22nd 2017, 4:43 pm
Forum Regular

Keoman is an unknown quantity at this point

Getting closer!! I'll be interested in seeing your blog too as doesn't seem much info around on what's next after the I-130 gets approved, as in a couple of months we want to get all the required paperwork ready for the DS260 and affidavit of support stages.
Old Jul 22nd 2017, 5:47 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Keoman
Getting closer!! I'll be interested in seeing your blog too as doesn't seem much info around on what's next after the I-130 gets approved, as in a couple of months we want to get all the required paperwork ready for the DS260 and affidavit of support stages.
There's tons of info for the reading. Have you searched for CR-1 or I-130 in the marriage-based visa forum? Also many posters have written up entire posts that detail the process for them from start to finish.

You can also read from page 1 of this thread to here ... She has been super great about listing each step she and her husband have been on through the process.

And then there is the wiki - http://britishexpats.com/wiki/CR-1

Last edited by Rete; Jul 22nd 2017 at 5:51 pm.
Old Jul 22nd 2017, 6:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Rete
You can also read from page 1 of this thread to here ... She has been super great about listing each step she and her husband have been on through the process.
I'm glad to hear my ceaseless wittering is considered at least a little bit useful!

I second Rete - if you're not doing so already, read absolutely everything that comes up in the Marriage Based Visa forum - it has been and continues to be my primary source of knowledge throughout this process, and it (and the members here) have never let me down. Read threads even if you don't think they apply to you - they will teach you things that might come in useful! You'll be amazed at how quickly you gain knowledge and confidence in the process. Confidence is where it's at! It's easy to feel overwhelmed, but once you know what the process is and what's expected of you, it's actually all quite simple.

The wiki is invaluable!

I also recommend this site: https://travel.state.gov/content/vis.../approved.html
You will be directed to it once you reach the NVC stage, but it's worth familiarising yourself with it now. It details, quite plainly, every single stage of the process and the documents you'll need throughout.

Wishing you the very best of luck! It was 6.5 months between receipt of mine and my husband's NOA1 and NOA2 - hopefully your wait will be a little shorter. Keep us in the loop!
Old Jul 23rd 2017, 11:34 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Rete
There's tons of info for the reading. Have you searched for CR-1 or I-130 in the marriage-based visa forum? Also many posters have written up entire posts that detail the process for them from start to finish
Yes I have been reading here for several months now and it's been invaluable, I have found lots of useful info and reading from other people's experiences also. My point is I've not found much after the NOA2 being issued going through the NVC route. Loads with DCF as seems that's the vast majority people here take, all I'm trying to do is prepare as best as possible so that when we do get our NOA2, we don't have to experience unnecessary delays. I'm sure you'll agree that the NVC route is frustratingly slow compared to the DCF route! But it's the way it is!
Old Jul 23rd 2017, 12:22 pm
Banned

Twinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond repute

Yes I have been reading here for several months now and it's been invaluable, I have found lots of useful info and reading from other people's experiences also. My point is I've not found much after the NOA2 being issued going through the NVC route. Loads with DCF as seems that's the vast majority people here take, all I'm trying to do is prepare as best as possible so that when we do get our NOA2, we don't have to experience unnecessary delays. I'm sure you'll agree that the NVC route is frustratingly slow compared to the DCF route! But it's the way it is!
I went through the NVC route. Yes, many here are in the DCF route but there are some of us who did/are doing the scenic route.

Whilst waiting for NOA2, start gathering what you need for the NVC:

- long-form of your birth certificate
- another copy of your marriage certificate
- divorce decrees or death certificates of any former spouses to show the marriages ended legally
- police certificates from all countries where you lived after the age of 16
- translations of any documents not in English
- if you need MMR or Tdap then see if you can get them from your GP - will be much cheaper than at the medical
Old Jul 23rd 2017, 12:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

... My point is I've not found much after the NOA2 being issued going through the NVC route. Loads with DCF as seems that's the vast majority people here take, all I'm trying to do is prepare as best as possible so that when we do get our NOA2, we don't have to experience unnecessary delays.
In my experience, the NVC process is slow enough that you will have plenty of time to gather what you need, without it compromising your timeline. After you've received your NOA2, your welcome letter from the NVC will come and it will have instructions for what to do next. The next few forms you complete (and fees you pay) will be done online, and there will be wait-times in between those. As you move through the stages, the documents you require will be outlined for you prior to you needing to send anything off. As for what those are, it depends on your personal circumstances, especially when it comes to your sponsor's finances and the I-864. If applicable, your sponsor will need at least his/her last W2.

From your end, make sure you have your long birth certificate, your passport and your police record (ACRO), and ensure your partner has a photocopy of each, ready to send to the NVC. Also your marriage certificate. (Be careful with the ACRO - it is valid for a year for immigration purposes, but I hear it needs to be dated within six months of the medical. Order it once you've received your NOA2, to be on the safe side. I am going to call Knightsbridge tomorrow to ask about this, as I ordered mine too early in the process and it's now over six months old, and I've read conflicting information as to whether or not it will be accepted. I'll report back once I've spoken to someone tomorrow.) But honestly, you don't need to worry about this for possibly a few weeks or months yet. Between receipt of our NOA2 and us actually requiring these documents, my husband and I had over a two-month wait. I believe that is longer than average and that was through none of our own doing - the processing times were simply that long. I hope they've since sped up a bit for you!
Old Jul 23rd 2017, 12:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

Cross-posted with Twinkle. There's your list!
Old Jul 23rd 2017, 1:01 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks both for the comprehensive replies. I didn't explain myself very well, so my apologies for that. The ACRO, jabs, certificates etc needed for the eventual interview I've seen lots of info about. It's the DS-261/260 immigration fee etc that I've been trying to find info on. (The immigration visa fee people often shorten to IV fee, so the idiot I am went looking for '4' forms thinking I had missed something!) fortunately my wife meets the financial requirements so we don't need a joint sponsor, which will save some hassle. We hope everything is complete by next May as we want to buy a house and have it all set up for July so my kids can come out for the summer. So like everyone that goes through this process, we all have our own stress related issues!
Old Jul 23rd 2017, 1:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

Thanks both for the comprehensive replies. I didn't explain myself very well, so my apologies for that. The ACRO, jabs, certificates etc needed for the eventual interview I've seen lots of info about. It's the DS-261/260 immigration fee etc that I've been trying to find info on. (The immigration visa fee people often shorten to IV fee, so the idiot I am went looking for '4' forms thinking I had missed something!) fortunately my wife meets the financial requirements so we don't need a joint sponsor, which will save some hassle. We hope everything is complete by next May as we want to buy a house and have it all set up for July so my kids can come out for the summer. So like everyone that goes through this process, we all have our own stress related issues!
The affidavit of support fee is $120, which you pay first, followed by the IV fee, which is $325. These both need to come from a US bank account.

You'll complete the DS-261 first. Then you'll pay the AOS fee. Then you'll pay the IV fee. Then you'll complete the DS-260. Then you'll post all your documents off to the NVC.

The information required for both the DS-261 and DS-260 is nothing you won't already know off the top of your head, most likely! You can find an example form for the latter online if you Google 'DS-260 example', which is the longer form. Mostly it's just your contact details, employment details, address history and loads of questions about your intentions once you arrive in the States (essentially to establish if you are likely to be a criminal threat). You will need to know your partner's place of birth and her basic details, too.

The DS-261 is just to establish who will be acting as your primary agent throughout the process (assuming you are not using a lawyer, either yourself or your partner is fine - my husband and I put my contact details) - it takes two minutes to fill out.

I know it feels like you're punching in the dark right now, but it all becomes self-explanatory once you reach this stage and receive your welcome letter. Good luck! I hope it's all done in time for you.
Old Jul 23rd 2017, 2:12 pm
Forum Regular

The affidavit of support fee is $120, which you pay first, followed by the IV fee, which is $325. These both need to come from a US bank account.

You'll complete the DS-261 first. Then you'll pay the AOS fee. Then you'll pay the IV fee. Then you'll complete the DS-260. Then you'll post all your documents off to the NVC.

The information required for both the DS-261 and DS-260 is nothing you won't already know off the top of your head, most likely! You can find an example form for the latter online if you Google 'DS-260 example', which is the longer form. Mostly it's just your contact details, employment details, address history and loads of questions about your intentions once you arrive in the States (essentially to establish if you are likely to be a criminal threat). You will need to know your partner's place of birth and her basic details, too.

The DS-261 is just to establish who will be acting as your primary agent throughout the process (assuming you are not using a lawyer, either yourself or your partner is fine - my husband and I put my contact details) - it takes two minutes to fill out.

I know it feels like you're punching in the dark right now, but it all becomes self-explanatory once you reach this stage and receive your welcome letter. Good luck! I hope it's all done in time for you.

Thank you! That explanation helps a lot, I know we are a few months away still as our I-130 has only been in for a couple of months. But as my wife is over visiting at the moment we are looking into what's next etc, so for once we can do it face to face instead of over a phone.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.