Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

A couple of observations after two week holiday in UK

Wikiposts

A couple of observations after two week holiday in UK

Old Jan 6th 2010, 9:15 am

manamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: A couple of observations after two week holiday in UK

Originally Posted by pain-in-spain
Hello from Barcelona! I've not been on the site for a a couple of months but like other's here I've also come back from a trip to my beloved London (3 weeks ago) although sadly we missed all the snow as it started the day we left. Myself and my partner are definitely planning our move back this year, New Year, new life, you know how it goes. Even though we're only less than 2 hours away by plane we only manage a visit a couple of times a year so of course when we do go back it's a really big event and we are totally excited by it all. Although Barcelona is considered (in Spain) a very cultural and cosmopolitan city, compared to London it certainly isn't. We always pick up a copy of Time Out magazine on arrival at Stansted and are always blown away by the huge amount of stuff going on, so much to see and do, so little time! As a result our trips are very very exhausting and it's the old feast and famine scenario. Even though our dearest friends have not moved on in their lives and nothing has changed for them, unlike it has for us, we feel as if we've missed out on so much during the 7.5 years we've been away. I think we've just got to the point where snatched moments and happy holiday memories just don't cut it.
It was great to see the Christmas lights, so much better than here and have fantastic food wherever you go, here in Barcelona it's very hit and miss not to mention over priced. I am increasingly amazed at how prices compare with Spain, yet salaries are higher in the UK, I am now feeling how much we are being ripped off over here. Aside from this, there is so much choice in everything, shops, bars, restaurants etc. We always buy our dvds, cds, books and clothes in London as here there's little choice and it's more expensive (although it wasn't always like this). We're from East London and our best friends still live there so we always manage a curry in Brick Lane when we go over, this time it was even more special with the crisp cold and festive lights, it was fantastic. Not to mention the art galleries, Tate Modern is always our first port of call (we are artists though) and there's always so much to see. A good friend treated us to a matinee show at the theatre and it was amazing, we realise what we've been starved of such experiences! London has so much variety and so much energy, people there seem to have drive and individuality unlike Spain where people are mostly very conservative and constricted by the family unit. I just love sitting at a pavement cafe in Carnaby Street and watch the people go by and feel energised by it all!One things for sure, when we do go back we will not take anything for granted and imagine life is better in Barcelona (we had to try it or we wouldn't have known) as we know it's not, London is the greatest city in the world!

I enjoyed your post !!

I am also in Spain and feel that Spain is definitely lacking in culture (dare I say that) and energy. I am in sleepy but lovely Asturias but I am hoping that we will be on a flight back to Stanstead soon.
Old Jan 6th 2010, 11:10 am
Forum Regular

The Broady's is just really niceThe Broady's is just really niceThe Broady's is just really niceThe Broady's is just really niceThe Broady's is just really niceThe Broady's is just really niceThe Broady's is just really niceThe Broady's is just really nice

I too have just returned from the UK from our first trip back having been in Canada for 2 years.

I have to say that we loved it! Not that we hated it before we left but we slipped back into the routine as if we had left last week - weird! Still the same amount of traffic (probably worse actually as it was Xmas) and poor customer service but that wasn't a downer for us. Apart from it being bloody cold - yes I know I live in Canada and we have snow 4 months of the year but we weren't expecting it to be that cold!

I have to say I felt really alive going back home - we live in sleepyville in Canada compared to the UK so it was great being back in the thick of it. Very fickle of me but I lurved the shopping and stocked up big time on M&S and high street goodiesWhile we absolutely love our life out here in Canada and have no plans to move back, we would never say no to going "home". It's a great country
Old Jan 9th 2010, 3:12 pm
Erica

Erica is a name known to allErica is a name known to allErica is a name known to allErica is a name known to allErica is a name known to allErica is a name known to allErica is a name known to allErica is a name known to allErica is a name known to allErica is a name known to allErica is a name known to all

Originally Posted by wordfool
I guess your perspective on population will depend on where in the US you live. I'm in SF, where white faces can be rarer than in some East London boroughs. I'm back and forth to the UK many times a year and outside London I find the UK to still be very white (generally a pastey sorta white).

I always feel there's something lacking about US culture whenever I return from a UK break. Call it the expat's curse. For one, I feel more like a social creature when I'm in the UK, with both friends and strangers, than when I'm in the US because the Brits just seem more relaxed about interacting, socializing and generally being themselves, despite the "stuffy Brit" image. The flipside of that, of course, is that social mobility in the US is far greater, which makes me really feel like I can be or do anything.

Countryside -- it always amazes me that despite the population density the countryside in the UK is still the most relaxing and bucolic I've encountered in the world. California has it's wilderness where you can walk for days without seeing a hint of civilization, but Britain has "countryside" that somehow manages to be more relaxing. Maybe the pubs in every village help

M&S -- ugh! Nice food, shame about the clothes. I wouldn't even buy my undies from M&S anymore. Sad really.

Weather -- another ugh! I love the active weather in the UK for about two days, then it usually pisses me off in some way (too hot, too muggy, too cold, too wet, too windy, too grey). And traveling there in late December, not seeing the sun for one week straight and dealing with darkness at 4pm is a recipe for never getting over jet lag (as I discovered last winter).

But having said all that, I am planning to go back and live there for a few years with my better half as soon as I get my US citizenship (hopefully this year). California is just too depressing and dysfunctional at the moment.
Hi Wordfool I am in Berkeley, just over the bridge! I got my US citizenship yesterday and we are planning on going back to the UK for a couple of years to see how it feels. It is scarey but the feeling of not being in the right place keeps coming back again and again. I just need to sort it out! We are thinking of moving to Gloucstershire which is just so beautiful! I will really miss the weather, the good food and the social mobility more than anything else I think.
Old Jan 9th 2010, 7:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

wombatboy is a name known to allwombatboy is a name known to allwombatboy is a name known to allwombatboy is a name known to allwombatboy is a name known to allwombatboy is a name known to allwombatboy is a name known to allwombatboy is a name known to allwombatboy is a name known to allwombatboy is a name known to allwombatboy is a name known to all

back in Oz....very warm. Very quiet as well! It's funny how much I miss my holiday and the 'home' feeling of the UK. I am very glad of my time here in Sydney, and I think I'll use the next few months to enjoy it to the full, before making the big trip back home.
Old Jan 9th 2010, 8:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

brizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by manamama
I enjoyed your post !!

I am also in Spain and feel that Spain is definitely lacking in culture (dare I say that) and energy. I am in sleepy but lovely Asturias but I am hoping that we will be on a flight back to Stanstead soon.
Bloody hell, if you feel that Spain is lacking in culture, do not ever contemplate moving to somewhere like Canada then. Sounds like you are in a small town and that can be difficult anywhere. Bigger cities are just going to have more going on. The UK is definitely a very vibrant place in comparison to a lot of other places around the world.
Old Jan 9th 2010, 9:44 pm
Éireann go Brách

Londonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Erica
Hi Wordfool I am in Berkeley, just over the bridge! I got my US citizenship yesterday and we are planning on going back to the UK for a couple of years to see how it feels. It is scarey but the feeling of not being in the right place keeps coming back again and again. I just need to sort it out! We are thinking of moving to Gloucstershire which is just so beautiful! I will really miss the weather, the good food and the social mobility more than anything else I think.
Is the Starry Plough pub still in Berkeley? My sister worked there in the 80's.
Old Jan 9th 2010, 9:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fleaflyfloflum
It is so much more alive here. I feel 10yrs younger since coming back.
For me its just the British people in general! Of course you do get the odd misery here and there, but just as an example.. take the supermarket. I can guarantee everytime i go there i will strike up a conversation with someone, have a bit of a giggle at something, or just get a few smiles!! A complete rarity in Aus truly!!
I have thought about this a bit lately to try and work why why it is so different down there. In my opinion, Aussies just arent as socially clued up!! Either that or they are so far up thier own backsides that they just dont notice anyone else around them

My NYE was the best i have ever had on the Embankement in London. Theres a sense of occasion and real passion in people. Hey, i think thats it!! PASSION! We have it in droves.
Indeed all too many folk do give out the impression of being rather clueless in the social stakes here in Australia......and lack of passion towards things has long been a gripe of mine also.
Well, will be returning for an extended stay shortly,leaving in a little over two months so will be more in a position to comment in greater depth on UK then once have updated to present social cliamate.