Reload this Page >

A couple of observations after two week holiday in UK

Wikiposts

A couple of observations after two week holiday in UK

Old Jan 5th 2010, 9:13 am
Just Joined

Brit in FL is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: A couple of observations after two week holiday in UK

I returned a couple of weeks ago from a 14 day stay in England. My boyfriend (who has never left the US) and I hired a car and travelled as far north as York and as far South as Somerset (Gatwick doesnt count)! I don't think I've seen as much of the UK (having lived there for my entire life - I'm 33) as I did in those two weeks. The country side was a breath of fresh air - quite literally.

WOW! It actually felt like Christmas - yes the cold, dark nights and everything! I forgot how good the British Breakfasts were - esp the sausages and "real" bacon. Watching decent TV in our hotel rooms was also refreshing as was the common courtesy of the drivers on the road. I did notice the increase of the different cultures, which I feel has definitely changed since I moved which was just over two years ago thanks to poiltical intervention...

I frequented M&S and my boyfriend was surprised at how ahead we are in the UK in terms of fashion - yes, M&S included!

Anyway, I didnt realise how homesick I really was until my trip - I would love to move back, but the housing market over here really sucks so guess I'll have to wait until the market picks up again...
Old Jan 5th 2010, 9:17 am
Just Joined

Please note: I meant to say that Britiain has become more multi-cultural thanks to new political policies...
Old Jan 5th 2010, 5:22 pm
Lost in Space

lilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by wheatsheaf
Yes!. Isnt that strange?. I married a Canadian gal, and she's the only reason I moved. Im always feeling like Im waiting for tomorrow to 'be happening', although fully occupied with my days here. A visit to the UK and any UK city is like an energising vitamin lasting few months. On the other hand, visiting different places in N America is much of a sameness...it seems to me that you have to be an addict of something to enjoy yourself here.
Ski bunny, kayaker, hiker, snow boarder.....I'm just not that outdoorsy I realised. I love a long walk on the shore line and through the forests or up the mountain in the snow (so long as its sunny) but we have never bought ski passes (often due to being skint) but I think if we loved it we'd find the money. My husband said we're pub and chat people first and foremost and that doesn't really fit here. I like yoga but I bloody hate the whole west coast, 'I drink rice tea maaaan' lifestlye. It seems so contrived. People fit into political and social boxes....
Old Jan 5th 2010, 11:09 pm
I don't give a damn

Fleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wheatsheaf
I too just returned from a short trip to Britain. Arrived on the first day of heavy snow. Very impressed with a) seeing people help the elderly and in need to and from cars to shops, and shovelling doorways off snow, getting groceries for neighbours, making phone calls to see whether things were OK etc. (b) in all the traffic chaos, way more driver courtesy than you would ever find in North America. (c) very friendly and courteous sales staff at stores (d) a true multi cultural feel to the areas with high visible minorities (!) ...sometimes doesnt seem like they are in a minority? There's more 'understanding' than 'tolerance' it seemed to me. A feeling of 'we are all in this together? Overall a much more engaging place to be. You feel alive. Even my 2 teenage children felt that way, and have been talking of returning to work/study for at least a couple of years.

Left with a feeling that seniors and retirees are proud and confident, whilst younger age groups are coming to realise that with Europe open to them, there is a lot more to look forward to with that little extra effort.
It is so much more alive here. I feel 10yrs younger since coming back.
For me its just the British people in general! Of course you do get the odd misery here and there, but just as an example.. take the supermarket. I can guarantee everytime i go there i will strike up a conversation with someone, have a bit of a giggle at something, or just get a few smiles!! A complete rarity in Aus truly!!
I have thought about this a bit lately to try and work why why it is so different down there. In my opinion, Aussies just arent as socially clued up!! Either that or they are so far up thier own backsides that they just dont notice anyone else around them

My NYE was the best i have ever had on the Embankement in London. Theres a sense of occasion and real passion in people. Hey, i think thats it!! PASSION! We have it in droves.
Old Jan 6th 2010, 1:31 am
Lost in Space

lilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Fleaflyfloflum
It is so much more alive here. I feel 10yrs younger since coming back.
For me its just the British people in general! Of course you do get the odd misery here and there, but just as an example.. take the supermarket. I can guarantee everytime i go there i will strike up a conversation with someone, have a bit of a giggle at something, or just get a few smiles!! A complete rarity in Aus truly!!
I have thought about this a bit lately to try and work why why it is so different down there. In my opinion, Aussies just arent as socially clued up!! Either that or they are so far up thier own backsides that they just dont notice anyone else around them

My NYE was the best i have ever had on the Embankement in London. Theres a sense of occasion and real passion in people. Hey, i think thats it!! PASSION! We have it in droves.
PASSION....buckets of it. I feel as though it's all over here, there's nothing to aim for, nothing to laugh at on a daily basis. The Brits can certainly have a grump on but it's real as opposed to fake north american 'Have a nice day? How are you today? culture. I know they aren't really interested.....

Anyway, I can't wait to get back to what may be a few more grey days but I'll be lots brighter inside me thinks!!!
Old Jan 6th 2010, 1:58 am
Searching for contentment

ukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=lilybilly101;8223023] The Brits can certainly have a grump on but it's real as opposed to fake north american 'Have a nice day? How are you today? culture. I know they aren't really interested.....

QUOTE]

Another thing we laughed at whilst we were out shopping in the UK was the difference/lack of the whole "have a nice day" and "did you find everything you were looking for" roboticness of the US shops. However, that was replaced by the shop assistants either not talking to us at all, or being too busy gassing to their friend next to them! We did decide however, that we would rather have the latter than the insincerity of the first
Old Jan 6th 2010, 2:06 am
Just Joined

Agree with you totally UK in Texas - we noticed the same thing. In fact, it reminded us of a sketch in the show Little Britain (if you've ever watched it)...
Old Jan 6th 2010, 2:07 am
Lost in Space

[QUOTE=ukintexas;8223091]
Originally Posted by lilybilly101
The Brits can certainly have a grump on but it's real as opposed to fake north american 'Have a nice day? How are you today? culture. I know they aren't really interested.....

QUOTE]

Another thing we laughed at whilst we were out shopping in the UK was the difference/lack of the whole "have a nice day" and "did you find everything you were looking for" roboticness of the US shops. However, that was replaced by the shop assistants either not talking to us at all, or being too busy gassing to their friend next to them! We did decide however, that we would rather have the latter than the insincerity of the first
So funny and so true. The last time we went home we were in a supermarket and my husband couldn't believe there was a lady offering gin tastings. Of course we had some and looked back and the security guard was having a tipple. Hilarious. My Canadian hubby had his jaw on the floor. That would NEVER happen here. Booze is sold in liquor stores and wrapped in a brown paper bag of course. When you go to a festival you are caged off to the side like social parasites so you can have a beer. It really spoils a good time. Very uptight but I guess they don't suffer from some of the late night lager culture that goes on back home.

Anyway, I'll drink to a sincere interaction ANY BLOODY DAY.

Last edited by lilybilly101; Jan 6th 2010 at 2:18 am.
Old Jan 6th 2010, 2:14 am

ukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Brit in FL
Agree with you totally UK in Texas - we noticed the same thing. In fact, it reminded us of a sketch in the show Little Britain (if you've ever watched it)...
Love Little Britain - but can't think of the sketch you're talking about. See if you can YouTube it and we can all have a laugh
Old Jan 6th 2010, 2:28 am
Just Joined

Here you go! The first one makes me laugh no matter how often I watch it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7TYAQ0JWBzE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UNfjt...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k5fl4KzKnQM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uLd3-cfLlvU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9JCio3bDw4w
Old Jan 6th 2010, 3:12 am

good stuff!
Old Jan 6th 2010, 3:15 am
Forum Regular

pain-in-spain has much to be proud ofpain-in-spain has much to be proud ofpain-in-spain has much to be proud ofpain-in-spain has much to be proud ofpain-in-spain has much to be proud ofpain-in-spain has much to be proud ofpain-in-spain has much to be proud ofpain-in-spain has much to be proud ofpain-in-spain has much to be proud ofpain-in-spain has much to be proud ofpain-in-spain has much to be proud of

Hello from Barcelona! I've not been on the site for a a couple of months but like other's here I've also come back from a trip to my beloved London (3 weeks ago) although sadly we missed all the snow as it started the day we left. Myself and my partner are definitely planning our move back this year, New Year, new life, you know how it goes. Even though we're only less than 2 hours away by plane we only manage a visit a couple of times a year so of course when we do go back it's a really big event and we are totally excited by it all. Although Barcelona is considered (in Spain) a very cultural and cosmopolitan city, compared to London it certainly isn't. We always pick up a copy of Time Out magazine on arrival at Stansted and are always blown away by the huge amount of stuff going on, so much to see and do, so little time! As a result our trips are very very exhausting and it's the old feast and famine scenario. Even though our dearest friends have not moved on in their lives and nothing has changed for them, unlike it has for us, we feel as if we've missed out on so much during the 7.5 years we've been away. I think we've just got to the point where snatched moments and happy holiday memories just don't cut it.
It was great to see the Christmas lights, so much better than here and have fantastic food wherever you go, here in Barcelona it's very hit and miss not to mention over priced. I am increasingly amazed at how prices compare with Spain, yet salaries are higher in the UK, I am now feeling how much we are being ripped off over here. Aside from this, there is so much choice in everything, shops, bars, restaurants etc. We always buy our dvds, cds, books and clothes in London as here there's little choice and it's more expensive (although it wasn't always like this). We're from East London and our best friends still live there so we always manage a curry in Brick Lane when we go over, this time it was even more special with the crisp cold and festive lights, it was fantastic. Not to mention the art galleries, Tate Modern is always our first port of call (we are artists though) and there's always so much to see. A good friend treated us to a matinee show at the theatre and it was amazing, we realise what we've been starved of such experiences! London has so much variety and so much energy, people there seem to have drive and individuality unlike Spain where people are mostly very conservative and constricted by the family unit. I just love sitting at a pavement cafe in Carnaby Street and watch the people go by and feel energised by it all!One things for sure, when we do go back we will not take anything for granted and imagine life is better in Barcelona (we had to try it or we wouldn't have known) as we know it's not, London is the greatest city in the world!

Last edited by pain-in-spain; Jan 6th 2010 at 3:17 am.
Old Jan 6th 2010, 3:32 am
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pain-in-spain
.............. I've also come back from a trip to my beloved London........... feel energised by it all!One things for sure, when we do go back we will not take anything for granted and imagine life is better in Barcelona (we had to try it or we wouldn't have known) as we know it's not, London is the greatest city in the world!
Hey - I could have written that!!! So true.
Old Jan 6th 2010, 3:58 am
Confirmed grumpy old man

Victor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ukintexas

People seemed to look a bit grumpy. It was bloody freezing so the grimaces might have been to do with that, but nevertheless, it made me feel like they were all grumps!
People - Grumpy!!! sounds like my kind of place
Old Jan 6th 2010, 4:00 am

Originally Posted by Victor Meldrew
People - Grumpy!!! sounds like my kind of place
Lol Victor - you AND my husband will be fine!!!!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.