Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Couldn't Get a Joint Sponsor

Couldn't Get a Joint Sponsor

Old Jun 2nd 2013, 8:47 pm
Just Joined

Mamajellybean is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Couldn't Get a Joint Sponsor

Hello, I asked one of my friends if she would consider being a joint sponsor, and she never really got back to me. Nevertheless, she's out. I decided not to ask anyone else for fear that they wouldn't understand what it means to be a joint sponsor.

So now my UKC husband and I are wondering what else we can do financially to get the visa to move to the US without a joint sponsor. I'm currently applying for jobs in Texas. Would a job offer with a sufficient income to support our household size be adequate to show that I could support my husband on the I-864? Thanks!
Old Jun 2nd 2013, 9:41 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Couldn't Get a Joint Sponsor

Originally Posted by Mamajellybean
Would a job offer with a sufficient income to support our household size be adequate to show that I could support my husband on the I-864? Thanks!
A job OFFER won't count, no. You need actual current income. I didn't read your past posts, so I don't know if you (the USC) are in the UK or the USA right now. If you are currently in the UK, you can go to the USA, secure a job with the right income, and then after you start working and have a few pay stubs in hand, you can complete an I-864.

If you and your husband have enough in assets (cash in the bank works best), you can use assets on the I-864. Assets must value 3x what is lacking in income, and must be able to be liquidated (and transferred to the USA if overseas) within 1 year, if necessary.

Rene
Old Jun 3rd 2013, 8:35 am
Just Joined

Thanks, Rene, for your reply. I'm currently in the UK with my husband (UKC) and our 1-year-old baby. We don't have enough in savings to make the 125% above poverty line. If I do get a job offer and stay in the USA with baby, could my husband come over as a tourist and then go back before his tourist visa runs out?
Old Jun 3rd 2013, 11:31 am
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

He could attempt to enter on the VWP for 90 days (if he's otherwise elligable) however he of course runs a greater risk of being denied on the basis of being an intending immigrant because, well, he is - even if not on that specific trip.
Old Jun 3rd 2013, 12:46 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mamajellybean
Thanks, Rene, for your reply. I'm currently in the UK with my husband (UKC) and our 1-year-old baby. We don't have enough in savings to make the 125% above poverty line.
The 125% column is how much you'd need in income (for a family of 3 that's $24,412). Assets need to be 3x the amount lacking in income (so for a family of 3 that would be at least $73,236). So yes, if you don't even have $24K in savings, you are nowhere near the required asset amount.

If I do get a job offer and stay in the USA with baby, could my husband come over as a tourist and then go back before his tourist visa runs out?
Does he actually have a tourist visa? Or does he travel on the VWP? Either way, yes, he is allowed to visit the USA while the Immigrant Visa process is going on. As always, it's subject to the POE officer on duty that day whether he gets in or not.

Rene
Old Jun 3rd 2013, 12:48 pm
Mouthy Yank

Speedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond repute

In the "Last Post" column, this thread is truncated to "Couldn't Get a Joint...". I'm going to go make my tea now...
Old Jun 3rd 2013, 4:19 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

Drink it, don't smoke it.

Regards, JEff
Originally Posted by Speedwell
In the "Last Post" column, this thread is truncated to "Couldn't Get a Joint...". I'm going to go make my tea now...
Old Jun 3rd 2013, 6:00 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Does he actually have a tourist visa? Or does he travel on the VWP? Either way, yes, he is allowed to visit the USA while the Immigrant Visa process is going on. As always, it's subject to the POE officer on duty that day whether he gets in or not.

Rene
He travels on the VWP. If he does come to visit us from the UK, he will have a return ticket. Thank again for your help!