Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

"Copies" of documents submitted with AOS

"Copies" of documents submitted with AOS

Old Sep 7th 2009, 11:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

jmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond repute
Default "Copies" of documents submitted with AOS

The letter informing of the initial AOS interview lists among other things to bring "Original and copy of each supporting document that you submitted with your application. Othwerwise we may keep originals"

I can understand the request for the originals. Copies were submitted with the application. But do they really want us to bring yet another copy? If they needed extra copies why wouldn't they have asked for "2 or x number of copies" with the application in the first place? Are they just assuming that they probably lost some of the paperwork in the time its arrival in their offices to the time of the interview? Do they REALLY want more copies of EVERYTHING (I'm taking supporting documents to mean everything/anything that was not the government forms) we submitted with the original application?

I know I'm going to be told off (you came all the way, just go get some more darned copies made!) but it's so much time to spend in Staples and hassle dismantling the entire application etc. Moan, groan.. :-)

Last edited by jmood; Sep 8th 2009 at 12:24 am.
Old Sep 7th 2009, 11:58 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: "Copies" of documents submitted with AOS

Originally Posted by jmood
The letter informing of the initial AOS interview lists among other things to bring "Original and copy of each supporting document that you submitted with your application. Othwerwise we may keep originals"

I can understand the request for the originals. Copies were submitted with the application. But do they really want us to bring yet another copy? If they needed extra copies why wouldn't they have asked for "2 or x number of copies" with the application in the first place? Are they just assuming that they probably lost some of the paperwork in the time its arrival in their offices to the time of the interview? Do they REALLY want more copies of EVERYTHING (I'm taking supporting documents to mean everything/anything that was not the government forms) we submitted with the original application?

I know I'm going to be told off (you came all the way, just go get some more darned copies made!) but it's so much time to spend in Staples and hassle dismantling the entire application etc. Moan, groan..
When we did our AOS interview back in 2005, we brought the original plus one photocopy of all the supporting documents, even if we had already submitted a photocopy with the AOS package.

At the interview, the only copies they ask for were the proof of joint life together.

Rene
Old Sep 8th 2009, 4:44 am
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

I know I'm going to be told off (you came all the way, just go get some more darned copies made!) but it's so much time to spend in Staples and hassle dismantling the entire application etc. Moan, groan.. :-)
Hi:

Why do you assume you will be bringing only documents of which copies were presented previously? Remember that these instructions are "boilerplate" and therefore somewhat generalized.
Old Sep 8th 2009, 1:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

jmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Folinskyinla
Hi:

Why do you assume you will be bringing only documents of which copies were presented previously? Remember that these instructions are "boilerplate" and therefore somewhat generalized.
Yes, not "only". That, I understand. But there is specific language on the letter that asks for copies of documents submitted "with" the application. This is what my question was pertaining to.
Old Sep 8th 2009, 2:40 pm
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes, not "only". That, I understand. But there is specific language on the letter that asks for copies of documents submitted "with" the application. This is what my question was pertaining to.
Hi:

Kill some trees then. Why do you think that CIS demands have to always "make sense."
Old Sep 8th 2009, 2:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

OK, if you say so! :-)
Old Sep 8th 2009, 3:48 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

jm,

Yes, sometimes documents do get lost from their file, and if you have another copy on hand to replace it at the interview then it may save some time getting your case approved.

You don't necessarily have to run out and make another copy of everything in advance - just take with you the copies of the original submissions that you kept for your own records, and if something is missing you can replace it with your own personal copy.

Regards, JEff

I can understand the request for the originals. Copies were submitted with the application. But do they really want us to bring yet another copy? If they needed extra copies why wouldn't they have asked for "2 or x number of copies" with the application in the first place? Are they just assuming that they probably lost some of the paperwork in the time its arrival in their offices to the time of the interview?
Old Sep 9th 2009, 4:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hey Jeff, I hadn't kept any "copies" from the original application, just the originals, thinking the originals were the real mccoy and all I would need.

Anyway, so I did make copies of everything that I'd used for the original application yesterday. And today I will be laboring over all the "additional stuff" including the docs needed for the "new" I864.

Interview is tomorrow at 8.15am. And I'm NOT a morning person. Will be tough going. Wish me luck. My stomach is in overdrive, I never knew I had so much acid! My husband says he feels so "happy" - he thinks its already done and over before it's begun!
Old Sep 9th 2009, 5:13 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

Oh my! Not a candidate for the AR Club, I see.

Regards, JEff

Hey Jeff, I hadn't kept any "copies" from the original application,
Old Sep 9th 2009, 5:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by jeffreyhy
Oh my! Not a candidate for the AR Club, I see.

Regards, JEff
Umm, dunno!.. I had been "welcomed" by Rene to one of those clubs earlier! :-))) But prefer not to be called such of course
Old Sep 9th 2009, 7:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

YouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond repute

Interview is tomorrow at 8.15am. And I'm NOT a morning person. Will be tough going. Wish me luck. My stomach is in overdrive, I never knew I had so much acid! My husband says he feels so "happy" - he thinks its already done and over before it's begun!
Good luck for your interview - rennies, immodium and Bach Rescue Remedy all help