Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Considering Marriage on VWP

Wikiposts

Considering Marriage on VWP

Old Jan 14th 2009, 3:33 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Considering Marriage on VWP

Ok I see. Thanks
Old Jan 14th 2009, 3:34 am
Just Joined

Isabel.S is just really niceIsabel.S is just really niceIsabel.S is just really niceIsabel.S is just really niceIsabel.S is just really niceIsabel.S is just really niceIsabel.S is just really niceIsabel.S is just really nice

Originally Posted by Noorah101
I got a little lost in your description. Here's what you can do:

1. He comes to visit on the VWP.
2. You get married while he's here in the USA.
3. When you have the certified copy of the marriage certificate in hand, file the I-130. You can do this while he's still here on the VWP.
4. He returns home before the 90 days allowed on the VWP.
5. He waits for visa processing back in the UK and eventually goes for an Immigrant Visa interview.
6. He moves to the USA permanantly once he has the Immigrant Visa in hand.

Total processing time from filing I-130 to getting IV in hand is about 8 to 10 months. You are both allowed to visit each other while the process is ongoing. If he comes to the USA on the VWP again to visit, he should bring proof of his ties to the UK, just in case they ask at the POE (for example, letter of employment showing when he needs to be back at work...letter from school showing when he needs to be back in class...rent/mortgage statements showing he has a residence in the UK to return to...etc).

Rene
yeah. well then we are gonna get married next month and start the process already! AND i can still have my nice wedding. I'm happy now!
Old Jan 14th 2009, 3:34 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Isabel.S
yeah. well then we are gonna get married next month and start the process already! AND i can still have my nice wedding. I'm happy now!
Yay! I'm happy for you, too.
Old Jan 14th 2009, 3:40 am
Shocked of Redmond

nettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Let me get this right...he's coming over using the VWP with the intent to marry you...then he's leaving? If so it is not legal.
Hmmm... I thought it was only illegal if he intended to marry, and adjust status and stay. This sounds very legal to me.

Am I missing owt?
Old Jan 14th 2009, 3:41 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nettlebed
Hmmm... I thought it was only illegal if he intended to marry, and adjust status and stay. This sounds very legal to me.

Am I missing owt?
No...sorry it's me getting confused.
Old Jan 14th 2009, 3:51 am

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nettlebed

Am I missing owt?
You are correct
Old Jan 14th 2009, 3:54 am
Not here much

neil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond repute

May be a non-issue (someone more knowledgeable will hopefully be able to speak to this) but is there a potential problem here in being able to demonstrate ties to the UK for that second visit for the church part given he has no job in the UK and is already married to a USC if required to do so? Would the already submitted I-130 for the immigrant visa be an indication of an intention to follow the correct process or not?
Old Jan 14th 2009, 4:17 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by neil
May be a non-issue (someone more knowledgeable will hopefully be able to speak to this) but is there a potential problem here in being able to demonstrate ties to the UK for that second visit for the church part given he has no job in the UK and is already married to a USC if required to do so? Would the already submitted I-130 for the immigrant visa be an indication of an intention to follow the correct process or not?

Yes, the filed form will help as will any other evidence he can muster. He might not be asked for any evidence and might well just be waved on through and told to have a nice stay. However, also better to have evidence on the off-chance it is asked for.
Old Jan 14th 2009, 6:36 am
Just Joined

Temperence is just really niceTemperence is just really niceTemperence is just really niceTemperence is just really niceTemperence is just really niceTemperence is just really niceTemperence is just really niceTemperence is just really niceTemperence is just really niceTemperence is just really nice

Originally Posted by Rete
Yes, the filed form will help as will any other evidence he can muster. He might not be asked for any evidence and might well just be waved on through and told to have a nice stay. However, also better to have evidence on the off-chance it is asked for.
may i just confirm something then, as this has been a very interesting thread to read - if someone goees to the U.S on holiday for a couple of months, falls head over heels and desperately wants to marry, flies to vegas does the deed..... an honest-to-goodness impulse, no previous intent at all... is that a different thing? if they can convince the authorities there was no previous intent, what is their passage to the U.S from then on? must they still go home and do the 8-10 months? there seems such emphasis on the intent thing, i was wondering if its so different?

Absolutely no alterior motive here - i'm happily in a relationship with no urges for Elvis to marry me off!
T x
Old Jan 14th 2009, 6:47 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Temperence
may i just confirm something then, as this has been a very interesting thread to read - if someone goees to the U.S on holiday for a couple of months, falls head over heels and desperately wants to marry, flies to vegas does the deed..... an honest-to-goodness impulse, no previous intent at all... is that a different thing? if they can convince the authorities there was no previous intent, what is their passage to the U.S from then on? must they still go home and do the 8-10 months? there seems such emphasis on the intent thing, i was wondering if its so different?

Absolutely no alterior motive here - i'm happily in a relationship with no urges for Elvis to marry me off!
T x
Search on 'ten foot pole' and variants (in this forum).
There is a difference.
Old Jan 14th 2009, 9:55 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Isabel.S
And no I cannot be his sponsor as I do not work, I graduate next May. My parents however can sponsor him
Sorry... but *YOU* must be the sponsor... you are the USC fiancee. Period. End of story. YOU... no one else. Your parents, can be joint sponsors, but they can not be sponsors. Why? Because you are the USC fiancee... therefore you *MUST* be the sponsor, whether you qualify financially or not.

Ian
Old Jan 14th 2009, 10:13 am
Just Joined

Isabel.S is just really niceIsabel.S is just really niceIsabel.S is just really niceIsabel.S is just really niceIsabel.S is just really niceIsabel.S is just really niceIsabel.S is just really niceIsabel.S is just really nice

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
Sorry... but *YOU* must be the sponsor... you are the USC fiancee. Period. End of story. YOU... no one else. Your parents, can be joint sponsors, but they can not be sponsors. Why? Because you are the USC fiancee... therefore you *MUST* be the sponsor, whether you qualify financially or not.

Ian
Joint sponsors or not I got a way of dealing with it.
Old Jan 14th 2009, 10:25 am

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

For an immigrant visa or adjustment of status, yes.

For a K1 visa, no.

Regards, JEff

Originally Posted by ian-mstm

Ian
Old Jan 14th 2009, 11:37 am
I'm back!

Just Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond repute

As I said in another post, she didn't lie. You put your spin on her post which was a fantasy post of what would happen if the fiancee came through the border and say this and that and had this and that paperwork.
For the record, SHE was the one who said she lied, NOT me. She said: "earlier i was lying =/ the whole earlier thing was lying."

I didn't "put a spin" on anything -- I was basing my comments on what SHE said. Also, I was not the only one who read her "hypothetical" facts as being real -- the whole reason she said she was "lying" was because Poppy thought the OP had contradicted herself about her fiance's job situation and called her out on it. If the OP had said, "I was just being hypothetical," then we wouldn't even be having this discussion. But she didn't -- she said she was lying, and that's what I reacted to.

I personally do not think that she lied about anything because the post you are condemning her for was not of actual facts.
Again, SHE said she lied. I did not just make that up. And I didn't read the "hypothetical" post as hypothetical. I read her post and thought: Here's a person who's just been told that her marriage plans are illegal, and she can't believe that someone like her fiance, who has a steady job and lots of cash in the bank, can't just use that as proof to enter the country, and she's saying, "This is our situation and how we're going to present it to the POE officers, do you think they will have a problem with that?" THAT'S how I read it.

Anyway, let's call it quits on this issue. I'm only responding because I didn't think it was fair of you to put words in my mouth that actually originally came from the OP. I mean really, who says they're "lying" when they're just speaking hypothetically??

~ Jenney
Old Jan 14th 2009, 11:42 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Jenney & Mark
For the record, SHE was the one who said she lied, NOT me. She said: "earlier i was lying =/ the whole earlier thing was lying."

I didn't "put a spin" on anything -- I was basing my comments on what SHE said. Also, I was not the only one who read her "hypothetical" facts as being real -- the whole reason she said she was "lying" was because Poppy thought the OP had contradicted herself about her fiance's job situation and called her out on it. If the OP had said, "I was just being hypothetical," then we wouldn't even be having this discussion. But she didn't -- she said she was lying, and that's what I reacted to.

Again, SHE said she lied. I did not just make that up. And I didn't read the "hypothetical" post as hypothetical. I read her post and thought: Here's a person who's just been told that her marriage plans are illegal, and she can't believe that someone like her fiance, who has a steady job and lots of cash in the bank, can't just use that as proof to enter the country, and she's saying, "This is our situation and how we're going to present it to the POE officers, do you think they will have a problem with that?" THAT'S how I read it.

Anyway, let's call it quits on this issue. I'm only responding because I didn't think it was fair of you to put words in my mouth that actually originally came from the OP. I mean really, who says they're "lying" when they're just speaking hypothetically??

~ Jenney
It was rather hypothetical, i just couldn't explain it that way. the word didnt come to mind. sorry.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.