British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Marriage Based Visas (https://britishexpats.com/forum/marriage-based-visas-35/)
-   -   Conditional Green Card Holder, Divorcing (https://britishexpats.com/forum/marriage-based-visas-35/conditional-green-card-holder-divorcing-807411/)

huacheetah Aug 28th 2013 5:50 am

Conditional Green Card Holder, Divorcing

Hello everyone,

A friend of mine is getting a divorce and he has a conditional 2-year green card. He got his green card in September of last year (2012). He wants to stay in the United States for at least a couple of years, which means applying to take the condition off his green card.

It sounds like his wife will be starting the paperwork anytime, so he believes the divorce may be finalized as soon as December, but it's hard to say an exact date right now.

What steps should he take from here in order to take the condition off his green card?

Thanks in advance,
Huacheetah

civilservant Aug 28th 2013 9:45 am

Re: Conditional Green Card Holder, Divorcing

He should file an I-751 with waiver, retaining an immigration attorney experienced in this process to help him prepare his strongest case. He does not need to, and should not, wait until the 90 day period before his 2 year anniversary.

ian-mstm Aug 28th 2013 12:13 pm

Originally Posted by huacheetah (Post 10873447)
What steps should he take from here in order to take the condition off his green card?

Right now, he should be gathering proof that he entered into the marriage in good faith. Civilservant is right - once the divorce is final, he should immediately submit the I-751 waiver. He does not need to wait until 90 days before his green card expires. He will likely be called for an interview - this is normal with I-751 waivers.

Ian

Noorah101 Aug 28th 2013 12:47 pm

He wants to stay in the United States for at least a couple of years, which means applying to take the condition off his green card.

If he only wants to stay in the USA another couple of years, it might not be worth the hassle of doing an I-751 with waiver. He could just go home on the day his current 2-year green card expires (should be September 2014).

Rene

jeffreyhy Aug 28th 2013 2:36 pm

Being pedantic, to remove the conditions on, and maintain, his PR status. The green card is simply an ID card that reflects his status.

What cs and Ian wrote.

Regards, JEff

sir_eccles Aug 28th 2013 4:17 pm

Originally Posted by ian-mstm (Post 10873976)
Right now, he should be gathering proof that he entered into the marriage in good faith.

That and a copy of all his immigration paper work so far making sure it is placed in a safe place where should things get vindictive silly things don't happen.

hungryhorace Aug 28th 2013 4:20 pm

Originally Posted by sir_eccles (Post 10874421)
That and a copy of all his immigration paper work so far making sure it is placed in a safe place where should things get vindictive silly things don't happen.

Separate safes is a good solution in this scenario it seems :)

huacheetah Aug 28th 2013 4:52 pm

Thanks so much you guys! You are so helpful! It's not easy to be in the situation he's in, and I just want to help him as best I can. I really appreciate it!

huacheetah Aug 28th 2013 5:10 pm

One more thing...immigration lawyers can be expensive, and I don't know if my friend has the kind of money to pay an immigration lawyer.

When I consulted an immigration lawyer for my simple case, it was going to cost a minimum of $3000--I petitioned my husbands permanent residence visa at the US Embassy while living abroad with him. I think I had the simplest situation you can have.

Is it possible for my friend to do his paperwork without a lawyer? Would it be that advantageous to have a lawyer? I imagine my friend would need to take out a loan to pay a lawyer $3000.

Noorah101 Aug 28th 2013 5:53 pm

Originally Posted by huacheetah (Post 10874507)
Is it possible for my friend to do his paperwork without a lawyer?

It's possible, but I would say most people use a lawyer for filing an I-751 with waiver, because it's best to put together the best possible package.

Would it be that advantageous to have a lawyer?
Only your friend can decide that.

I imagine my friend would need to take out a loan to pay a lawyer $3000.
He should at least have a 1-time consultation, which runs about $200. He can discuss with the lawyer and see about retaining him or not.

Rene

jeffreyhy Aug 28th 2013 6:05 pm

Yes, I think this is a good idea.

Regards, JEff

Originally Posted by Noorah101 (Post 10874591)
He should at least have a 1-time consultation, which runs about $200. He can discuss with the lawyer and see about retaining him or not.

Rene

huacheetah Aug 28th 2013 6:07 pm

Awesome, thanks again for the advice! You guys rock!