Reload this Page >

Conditional Green Card Holder, Divorcing

Conditional Green Card Holder, Divorcing

Old Aug 28th 2013, 5:50 am
Forum Regular

huacheetah is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Conditional Green Card Holder, Divorcing

Hello everyone,

A friend of mine is getting a divorce and he has a conditional 2-year green card. He got his green card in September of last year (2012). He wants to stay in the United States for at least a couple of years, which means applying to take the condition off his green card.

It sounds like his wife will be starting the paperwork anytime, so he believes the divorce may be finalized as soon as December, but it's hard to say an exact date right now.

What steps should he take from here in order to take the condition off his green card?

Thanks in advance,
Huacheetah
Old Aug 28th 2013, 9:45 am
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Conditional Green Card Holder, Divorcing

He should file an I-751 with waiver, retaining an immigration attorney experienced in this process to help him prepare his strongest case. He does not need to, and should not, wait until the 90 day period before his 2 year anniversary.
Old Aug 28th 2013, 12:13 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by huacheetah
What steps should he take from here in order to take the condition off his green card?
Right now, he should be gathering proof that he entered into the marriage in good faith. Civilservant is right - once the divorce is final, he should immediately submit the I-751 waiver. He does not need to wait until 90 days before his green card expires. He will likely be called for an interview - this is normal with I-751 waivers.

Ian
Old Aug 28th 2013, 12:47 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

He wants to stay in the United States for at least a couple of years, which means applying to take the condition off his green card.
If he only wants to stay in the USA another couple of years, it might not be worth the hassle of doing an I-751 with waiver. He could just go home on the day his current 2-year green card expires (should be September 2014).

Rene
Old Aug 28th 2013, 2:36 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

Being pedantic, to remove the conditions on, and maintain, his PR status. The green card is simply an ID card that reflects his status.

What cs and Ian wrote.

Regards, JEff
Old Aug 28th 2013, 4:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
Right now, he should be gathering proof that he entered into the marriage in good faith.
That and a copy of all his immigration paper work so far making sure it is placed in a safe place where should things get vindictive silly things don't happen.
Old Aug 28th 2013, 4:20 pm
Banned

hungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sir_eccles
That and a copy of all his immigration paper work so far making sure it is placed in a safe place where should things get vindictive silly things don't happen.
Separate safes is a good solution in this scenario it seems
Old Aug 28th 2013, 4:52 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks so much you guys! You are so helpful! It's not easy to be in the situation he's in, and I just want to help him as best I can. I really appreciate it!
Old Aug 28th 2013, 5:10 pm
Forum Regular

One more thing...immigration lawyers can be expensive, and I don't know if my friend has the kind of money to pay an immigration lawyer.

When I consulted an immigration lawyer for my simple case, it was going to cost a minimum of $3000--I petitioned my husbands permanent residence visa at the US Embassy while living abroad with him. I think I had the simplest situation you can have.

Is it possible for my friend to do his paperwork without a lawyer? Would it be that advantageous to have a lawyer? I imagine my friend would need to take out a loan to pay a lawyer $3000.
Old Aug 28th 2013, 5:53 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Is it possible for my friend to do his paperwork without a lawyer?
It's possible, but I would say most people use a lawyer for filing an I-751 with waiver, because it's best to put together the best possible package.

Would it be that advantageous to have a lawyer?
Only your friend can decide that.

I imagine my friend would need to take out a loan to pay a lawyer $3000.
He should at least have a 1-time consultation, which runs about $200. He can discuss with the lawyer and see about retaining him or not.

Rene
Old Aug 28th 2013, 6:05 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, I think this is a good idea.

Regards, JEff
Originally Posted by Noorah101
He should at least have a 1-time consultation, which runs about $200. He can discuss with the lawyer and see about retaining him or not.

Rene
Old Aug 28th 2013, 6:07 pm
Forum Regular

Awesome, thanks again for the advice! You guys rock!