Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Conditional green card.

Conditional green card.

Old Sep 18th 2018, 12:39 am
Forum Regular

Tkd67 has a reputation beyond reputeTkd67 has a reputation beyond reputeTkd67 has a reputation beyond reputeTkd67 has a reputation beyond reputeTkd67 has a reputation beyond reputeTkd67 has a reputation beyond reputeTkd67 has a reputation beyond reputeTkd67 has a reputation beyond reputeTkd67 has a reputation beyond reputeTkd67 has a reputation beyond reputeTkd67 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Conditional green card.

Hi, I've been searching the pages and can't find the answer I'm looking for concerning the 2 year conditional green card.
My wife (USC) and myself (U.K) seem to hold different views on this subject and for the life of me I can't find the answer.
Married in December 2017, so with current time lines being 12/13 months I'm hoping to be approved 12/13 months later and because we've not been married the 2 years I will get a conditional, and have 1 year under my belt (marriage)
My question is , does the date start from the date of marriage or from the time off entry into the US, my wife believes from the marriage date, I however believe it's the latter.
Could somebody correct us both. Thank you...
Old Sep 18th 2018, 9:38 am
Forum Regular

BigT103 has a reputation beyond reputeBigT103 has a reputation beyond reputeBigT103 has a reputation beyond reputeBigT103 has a reputation beyond reputeBigT103 has a reputation beyond reputeBigT103 has a reputation beyond reputeBigT103 has a reputation beyond reputeBigT103 has a reputation beyond reputeBigT103 has a reputation beyond reputeBigT103 has a reputation beyond reputeBigT103 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Conditional green card.

If you POE with a IR1-CR1 spousal visa before your 2nd year wedding anniversary then it's a CR1 (conditional GC) anything after would be IR1 and a 10 year GC would be issued.
Old Sep 18th 2018, 10:50 am
Forum Regular

Tkd67 has a reputation beyond reputeTkd67 has a reputation beyond reputeTkd67 has a reputation beyond reputeTkd67 has a reputation beyond reputeTkd67 has a reputation beyond reputeTkd67 has a reputation beyond reputeTkd67 has a reputation beyond reputeTkd67 has a reputation beyond reputeTkd67 has a reputation beyond reputeTkd67 has a reputation beyond reputeTkd67 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BigT103
If you POE with a IR1-CR1 spousal visa before your 2nd year wedding anniversary then it's a CR1 (conditional GC) anything after would be IR1 and a 10 year GC would be issued.
So if i entered the U. S in january 2019 the 2 year count down starts from then. I will just then wait 21 months to change
the conditions .
I hope thats correct...
Thank yoy for the reply...

Last edited by Tkd67; Sep 18th 2018 at 11:02 am.
Old Sep 18th 2018, 10:58 am
Forum Regular

BigT103 has a reputation beyond reputeBigT103 has a reputation beyond reputeBigT103 has a reputation beyond reputeBigT103 has a reputation beyond reputeBigT103 has a reputation beyond reputeBigT103 has a reputation beyond reputeBigT103 has a reputation beyond reputeBigT103 has a reputation beyond reputeBigT103 has a reputation beyond reputeBigT103 has a reputation beyond reputeBigT103 has a reputation beyond repute

If when you enter the US for the first time with your spousal visa, and it's after your 2nd year wedding anniversary then you will get an IR1 Visa that lasts 10 years.
Old Sep 18th 2018, 11:03 am
Forum Regular

If when you enter the US for the first time with your spousal visa, and it's after your 2nd year wedding anniversary then you will get an IR1 Visa that lasts 10 years.
Thank you 😊
Old Sep 18th 2018, 12:05 pm
Forum Regular

No problems
Old Sep 18th 2018, 1:32 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

The marriage has to have been valid for 24 months/2 years at the time of either the entry at the POE with an approved visa or at the time of the AOS interview if stateside for one to receive an unconditional (10 year) green card. This is known as LPR = legal permanent resident.

If in either case the green card is received prior to the 2nd wedding anniversary, the beneficiary is an CPR = conditional permanent resident and removal of conditions is to be applied for within 90 days of the expiration date on the green card. Not 3 months, but 90 days which is not the same.

So your post #3 is correct.
Old Sep 18th 2018, 1:33 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

P.S. The timeline for naturalization starts from the inception date listed on the green card. So you can apply for naturalization 33 months after that date regardless of whether or not the I-751 to remove conditions has been adjudicated. Of course, you must still be married to the USC at the time of filing and interview and oath ceremony.
Old Sep 18th 2018, 1:41 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Rete
P.S. The timeline for naturalization starts from the inception date listed on the green card. So you can apply for naturalization 33 months after that date regardless of whether or not the I-751 to remove conditions has been adjudicated. Of course, you must still be married to the USC at the time of filing and interview and oath ceremony.
That is good that the time spent goes towards naturalization, as thats the way i intend to go in the future..

Thank your for the reply..
Old Sep 18th 2018, 4:12 pm
Concierge

Just wanted to correct the terminology that BigT used. You will not receive an IR-1 visa that lasts for 10 years. There is no such visa. An IR-1 is a one time use visa and it is used to enter the US before the expiration date of your overseas medical done for the IR-1 interview.

If your marriage is over two years in length, then at the POE you will be given LPR status which means that you will receive a green card with an expiration date 10 years in the future. The status is not for 10 years; only the card.