Wikiposts

complicated question!

Old Apr 6th 2004, 3:36 am
Just Joined

Auspicion is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: complicated question!

lol, no it's fine, I had thought I was 13 weeks, but the scan dates today placed me at 11 weeks one day so I still have a good six months to go Still not a lotta time in the run of things but now as you say.. there's a good chance the baby will be fine. I had been bleeding a little so I was mega wound up and intensely worried but medically everything looks great so that eases many of my worries My better half will be at work until almost bedtime my time so I've just sent him an email entitled " baby news" and inside I wrote.. " nahhh, I'm not telling ya". So I know I'll get a phone call once he gets home... lol Thank you for your interest Sending you a hug. Mary xxxx

Originally posted by HunterGreen
That's cute . I remember how I wasn't at ease until I had counted both arms and legs. And then it was like you say - as soon as you see the baby you know things will be fine (and they were ). I have one more question, because now I'm really curious... I know I'm gonna be wondering about y'all now, lol... when's the baby due? (If it's none of my business just say so... LOL).
Old Apr 6th 2004, 3:46 am
BE Forum Addict

HunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond repute

LOL I'm sure he's loving that email... haha. I'm glad everything is okay with the baby. Focus on the kiddo... if y'all can afford it just hire a lawyer for the visa stuff so you don't have to think about that anymore. The last thing you need is more worries. As long as the baby's fine, that should be most important right now.

Best wishes!
Elaine
Old Apr 6th 2004, 5:09 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

hi Mary, these are indeed exciting times for you!

Originally posted by Auspicion
Thank you to everyone for your input. I think the lawyers point was very good, thank you for that, I checked out your site too, and it seems very positive. Made me feel slightly less worried.
The lawyer made an allusion to a good point: Newsgroup postings are not a substitute for "legal advice". They are a good place to get a framework of information. If you feel unable to master the basics of immigration, you absolutely should retain counsel. A caveat: not all lawyers are created equal. Scan a few 'my lawyer done me wrong' posts over at the marriage-based group and you'll see what I mean. And don't forget, this battle is half your partner's as well; he needs to participate.

I'm still puzzling over noboundaries' statement "Basically, you need to start the procedure in order to be together with your child or you can opt to just be a visitor indefinitely."
Be warned that some attornies, indeed some USCIS (aka INS) workers will tell you that you can enter under the VW, marry and Adjust Status. Be sure to ask your counsel what backup they offer if this route goes badly.

but people forget the emotional impact of so much change...
Just to make the 'glass is half FULL' argument, hop over to the Europe or Rest of the World boards here and see how many people *choose* to expatriate. I've lived abroad 3 different times, 3 different countries and travel whenever I can. Only to point out that *some* crazy people would trade places with you in a New York Minute!

I would far rather give birth here than in the States, but speaking with my partner I see his worries around that and do not feel that I can push an issue he is uncomfortable with.
Then stick up for yourself, g/friend! <g> Perhaps educating your partner a bit on the citizenship issue will help (that's the only objection I recall you bringing up). Assure him that anyone born of a USC who is resident in the US, will *be* a USC regardless. Chris gave you some good info up there.
If none of that works, ask him to call his local hospital and find out how much birthing a baby in the US will cost. <g>

Best of luck to you; I hope everything turns out just the way you want!
Old Apr 6th 2004, 7:13 am
Just Joined

Auspicion is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you for your best wishes! You have been most helpful!!

I think the comment

"Basically, you need to start the procedure in order to be together with your child or you can opt to just be a visitor indefinitely."

refers to the possibility of simply just visiting my partner for a few weeks every so often, much as we do now. I realise I could do that even with a child, but I would prefer to have a more settled existence! But it is a valid and legally acceptable option, as far as I know anyway!

"*some* crazy people would trade places with you in a New York Minute! "

I cant believe anyone would want my situation!! I realise that some people have an even more complex issue, and I am in no way negating or disrespecting that but it still doesn't make this fun!!

My partner broke his hand last year and the hospital fees came to $3000, a friend of ours had a hernia operation and that came to $6000, so I am assuming giving birth over there would cost anything from $10 to $20, 000!!! Not a price tag to take lightly!!

Chris did indeed give me some good info. Thank you Chris!

My partners main arguments against me having the baby in England are that he is financially supporting his mother and little brother at the moment and he's not in a position to leave them without financial support. He also, doesn't want to fly, period, he hates flying, which places much of the onus on me to sort most things out and sometimes I feel I have just got too much on my plate! You're quite right when you say this battle is half his too,I think we shall have to have a good talk about that point!!

Thank you again,

Mary xxxx