Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Compiling documents to take to our AOS interview

Compiling documents to take to our AOS interview

Old Jun 4th 2018, 7:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

BigBoss1984 has a reputation beyond reputeBigBoss1984 has a reputation beyond reputeBigBoss1984 has a reputation beyond reputeBigBoss1984 has a reputation beyond reputeBigBoss1984 has a reputation beyond reputeBigBoss1984 has a reputation beyond reputeBigBoss1984 has a reputation beyond reputeBigBoss1984 has a reputation beyond reputeBigBoss1984 has a reputation beyond reputeBigBoss1984 has a reputation beyond reputeBigBoss1984 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Compiling documents to take to our AOS interview

Compiling all of our documents that we're gonna take to our AOS interview, it's three weeks off yet but definitely want to be prepared for this. We plan on taking two folders, one with evidence supporting our relationship and the other with our AOS submission package. Am I missing anything from the below breakdown;

Evidence Folder:

Rental agreement (we live with in-laws but my father in law owns property which he rents out so he had us sign a rental agreement)
Joint checking account statement
Our names on family car insurance
Our names on family phone plan (need to verify this one since I'm not sure if it shows our names or just the cell numbers)
Trip itinerary for our honeymoon in August 2017 to California
Photocopies of drivers license showing the same address
Tax returns for 2017 showing we filed Married Filing Separately

AOS Submission Folder:

I-485 copy
New I-864 w/ 2017 tax transcripts for my wife and I with my added income. I'll also include a pay stub and a HR letter. Hoping we can use this as an affidavit of support
New I-864 w/ 2017 tax transcripts for father in law who is our co-sponsor incase the above isn't accepted
Photocopy of mine and my wifes birth certificate
Photocopy of my wifes US passport to prove citizenship
I-765/I-131 approval notice
EAD card
I-94 print out
Copy of K-1 visa used to enter US
Copy of UK passport bio page

And I think that's it? We already seen a civil surgeon to get my vaccinations transcribed before sending off the AOS package, and I believe the medical is good from 1 year since filing AOS so I believe we're in the clear for that. I'm planning on using this thread to act as somewhat of a checklist so please let me know if there's anything we missed!

Last edited by BigBoss1984; Jun 4th 2018 at 7:22 pm.
Old Jun 4th 2018, 7:25 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Compiling documents to take to our AOS interview

Looks good to me!

Rene
Old Jun 4th 2018, 7:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

BigBoss1984 has a reputation beyond reputeBigBoss1984 has a reputation beyond reputeBigBoss1984 has a reputation beyond reputeBigBoss1984 has a reputation beyond reputeBigBoss1984 has a reputation beyond reputeBigBoss1984 has a reputation beyond reputeBigBoss1984 has a reputation beyond reputeBigBoss1984 has a reputation beyond reputeBigBoss1984 has a reputation beyond reputeBigBoss1984 has a reputation beyond reputeBigBoss1984 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Looks good to me!

Rene
Awesome! Why do they request you take a copy of the AOS submission, out of curiosity? We'll take it, of course, but I haven't heard of a single person who's said that they needed it at the interview.
Old Jun 4th 2018, 8:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

Have you any photos? Specifically the wedding?

Our interview consisted mostly of looking at photos and talking about them. The woman who interviewed us took some for her file
Old Jun 4th 2018, 8:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by tom169

Our interview consisted mostly of looking at photos and talking about them. The woman who interviewed us took some for her file
oh I can’t believe I missed photos from my list lol, yeah we have tons of photos - including both of our families together. We don’t have wedding photos though because in PA you can do a self uniting wedding because it was a Quaker state, which means you don’t need an officiant and you just sign it yourself.
Old Jun 4th 2018, 9:03 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tom169

Our AOS interview was just the opposite. I was all excited to share photos (although no wedding ones), but she never asked to see any. I even said I have photos to show you, she said no, that's ok, no need.

Rene
Old Jun 4th 2018, 9:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

Our AOS interview was just the opposite. I was all excited to share photos (although no wedding ones), but she never asked to see any. I even said I have photos to show you, she said no, that's ok, no need.

Rene
You didn’t have wedding photos either? I thought I was the only one in the history of US immigration! lol
Old Jun 4th 2018, 10:13 pm

Originally Posted by BigBoss1984

You didn’t have wedding photos either? I thought I was the only one in the history of US immigration! lol
LOL, Nope! We did ours spontaneously at the courthouse, just enough time to call my sister and best friend to come be witnesses. We both had on casual clothes. No photos but it was fun!

Rene
Old Jun 4th 2018, 10:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

We had ours at a bar with a couple of friends who acted as witnesses, it wasn’t very low key but fun - we also wanted to do something uniquely Pennsylvanian, hence the self uniting!
Old Jun 5th 2018, 2:50 am
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Rene
Of course, every case is different. That said, the examiners were always thrilled to examine formal wedding albums. I think they found them to be fun.

Old Jun 5th 2018, 2:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

BenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond repute

Me and my wife don't have any formal photos from our wedding - it was super low key and we had some friends as witnesses.

We explained that in the interview, and the IO didn't seem to care as he was happy with our explanation that we were saving for a house and then would do a "proper" wedding later down the line - which sparked a 10 minute conversation between the three of us about how expensive CO is.

I guess a lot of it is just luck on whether you get a nice IO that's relaxed or one that's a bit more strict.
Old Jun 6th 2018, 3:00 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

One additional point - bring a copy and the original. If there are photos, a copy of a few will suffice. The copies are for the DHS "A" file.