Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Clearing U.S. Customs--how long?

Clearing U.S. Customs--how long?

Old Sep 28th 2001, 4:11 pm
Sthansard

Is it possible to know how long it will take to clear U.S. Customs at LAX for my
fiancee' who is flying here from Moscow next month?

I have heard times from 2 to 4 hours for the wait. I know that when I have picked
up business associates from SFO that it can take a minimum of 2 hours for them to
clear Customs.

I am planning on staying in a hotel less than 2 miles from LAX and can get there w/o
any problems or delays. I just don't want to miss her when she arrives in the U.S.

Thanks, Steve [email protected]

Old Sep 28th 2001, 4:31 pm
Maarten W.G. Andries

>
for
    >
    >
    >
    >
hours
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

It took me a good 45 minutes to clear customs the last time I visited LAX. However,
this was before the terrorist attacks on the 11th of September, and it was not in
high season. I figure with the extra security measures in place, its gonna take her
more then 1 hour for sure.

Of course, when a few 747-400 type aircraft land at the same time (400+ per bird) you
could be in line for a while longer. I doubt it will be 4 hours though, unless you
are suspected of something.

Maarten