Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Claire & Steven's I-751 through VSC

Claire & Steven's I-751 through VSC

Old Aug 7th 2007, 10:42 am
The Survivors!!

Clare & Steven is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Claire & Steven's I-751 through VSC

Hi everyone. Bequibar - good to see you again, it's been a couple of years!
Steven is ready to file the i-751 with VSC now - we're about 5 weeks into the 90-day period. Just realized we need all of the evidence included in the packet - good thing I read the darned thing before I mailed it - LOL! (duh)

I'm also concerned a bit about employment. He just interviewed for an awesome new job, but they are worried about his card expiring mid-October. If we file it within one week, I hope we'll get the NOA before it expires. Any thoughts on this?
Old Aug 7th 2007, 2:13 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Claire & Steven's I-751 through VSC

Originally Posted by Clare & Steven
Steven is ready to file the i-751 with VSC now - we're about 5 weeks into the 90-day period. Just realized we need all of the evidence included in the packet - good thing I read the darned thing before I mailed it - LOL! (duh)

I'm also concerned a bit about employment. He just interviewed for an awesome new job, but they are worried about his card expiring mid-October. If we file it within one week, I hope we'll get the NOA before it expires. Any thoughts on this?
Hi Claire, I moved your post to a new thread, since the one you tagged onto was more than 6 months old. And your question was a new one.

Regarding Steve's unemployment, hopefully you'll get the 1-year extension letter within 2 months of filing the I-751. Of course as usual with USCIS, there's no guarantee of anything. Just file as soon as you can and hope for the best!

Best Wishes,
Rene
Old Aug 7th 2007, 2:30 pm
Forum Regular

wildestkabs is a name known to allwildestkabs is a name known to allwildestkabs is a name known to allwildestkabs is a name known to allwildestkabs is a name known to allwildestkabs is a name known to allwildestkabs is a name known to allwildestkabs is a name known to allwildestkabs is a name known to allwildestkabs is a name known to allwildestkabs is a name known to all

One of the things that the I-9 mentions is that the employer may not deny employment based on the future expiration date of a document.

You should be able to get the NOA before October, though that is definitely not certain. Also, you might want to talk to this potential employer, explain that your husband's status never expires, simply the card does and he is always going to have unrestricted work authorization. Obviously, once you get the NOA, you would be able to use that to renew the DL and use that with the SS card, to provide proof of work authorization.

It seems like you are filing jointly, in which case, should not take too long for an approval.
Old Aug 7th 2007, 2:44 pm
The Survivors!!

Ladies, thanks so much for your replies - it helps a lot to have this website to go to for answers. This place got me through many years of waiting.
Thanks again!
Clare
Old Aug 7th 2007, 3:29 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Clare.

VSC has not been the most efficient of late. Sorry to say but posters have said it is taking up to a month to get the extension letter. I know that telling the new employer that although the card is expired your status isn't, might not work, but perhaps you can find the law on the USCIS website and print it out for them.

Good luck with Steven's removal.

Rete

Old Aug 7th 2007, 4:31 pm
Valley of the Sun

souls canuck is a splendid one to beholdsouls canuck is a splendid one to beholdsouls canuck is a splendid one to beholdsouls canuck is a splendid one to beholdsouls canuck is a splendid one to beholdsouls canuck is a splendid one to beholdsouls canuck is a splendid one to beholdsouls canuck is a splendid one to beholdsouls canuck is a splendid one to beholdsouls canuck is a splendid one to beholdsouls canuck is a splendid one to behold

Hi Claire! Good to see you post.. we are at the same stage of the game so best of luck to you two. I just went for biometrics and am hoping for a shiny new 10 yr card in the next few weeks (fingers crossed) And I hope he gets the job!!!
Old Aug 7th 2007, 4:38 pm
Forum Regular

lulu204 has much to be proud oflulu204 has much to be proud oflulu204 has much to be proud oflulu204 has much to be proud oflulu204 has much to be proud oflulu204 has much to be proud oflulu204 has much to be proud oflulu204 has much to be proud oflulu204 has much to be proud oflulu204 has much to be proud oflulu204 has much to be proud of

I got mine precisely one week after sending off the i-751....
think this might be the exception rather than the rule, tho'.....dont worry it will come,,,it appears where you file is the variable, here....

Last edited by lulu204; Aug 7th 2007 at 5:04 pm.
Old Aug 7th 2007, 10:26 pm
The Survivors!!

Rete! Souls! Wow, it's been a long time....so good to see you both again.
Best of luck with your removal proceedings too souls - I hope your card comes fast. I remember you & I went through the K-1 a few years back around the same time too. Rete, you got your citizenship around that time too - it's all coming back to me now LOL.

I'll do a search on the website & see what I can find. Kabs mentioned that the I-9 that states employment info? I'll start there... Thanks again for the info!
Take care & talk to you soon,
Clare
Old Aug 7th 2007, 10:32 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

I'll do a search on the website & see what I can find. Kabs mentioned that the I-9 that states employment info? I'll start there... Thanks again for the info!
Take care & talk to you soon,
Clare
Hi Clare.. I looked it up at one time. Check out this post and its related thread: http://britishexpats.com/forum/showp...5&postcount=17

I'm not sure I would even call it to the employer's attention; it is a non-issue UNLESS he is being hired for a new job during this 'pending I-751' time. And if he is, a stamp from the local office will suffice, IIRC.
Old Aug 7th 2007, 11:03 pm
Forum Regular

wildestkabs is a name known to allwildestkabs is a name known to allwildestkabs is a name known to allwildestkabs is a name known to allwildestkabs is a name known to allwildestkabs is a name known to allwildestkabs is a name known to allwildestkabs is a name known to allwildestkabs is a name known to allwildestkabs is a name known to allwildestkabs is a name known to all

Originally Posted by meauxna
it is a non-issue UNLESS he is being hired for a new job during this 'pending I-751' time. And if he is, a stamp from the local office will suffice, IIRC.
Kind of leads me to a question.

I just applied with this employer recently and they obviously had this employment application form to fill up. One of the questions they had was -

"If you are not a U.S. citizen, do you have legal authorization to work in the United States?"

and the next question was -

"If yes, is that authorization valid for at least 2 years from the date of this application?"

It obviously had the options "yes" or "no." I thought it was a pretty unusual question and seemed to be in violation of the I-9, in the sense that if am not able to show them a valid hiring document which goes at least 2 years in the future, they might not hire me, and obviously they would be basing that decision on the future expiration date of my DL (unless I get my 10 year GC before that), which, by the way, expires in May 2008. I haven't discussed it with them yet, figured I need to get the job first.

By the way, I checked "yes".

Last edited by wildestkabs; Aug 8th 2007 at 12:08 am.
Old Aug 8th 2007, 4:35 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wildestkabs
I haven't discussed it with them yet, figured I need to get the job first.

By the way, I checked "yes".
I'm glad you modified your question.. I don't know!

I'm with you tho, get the job first and worry about details later.
Old Aug 15th 2007, 4:41 pm
Forum Regular

gooner81 has a brilliant futuregooner81 has a brilliant futuregooner81 has a brilliant futuregooner81 has a brilliant futuregooner81 has a brilliant futuregooner81 has a brilliant futuregooner81 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by souls canuck
Hi Claire! Good to see you post.. we are at the same stage of the game so best of luck to you two. I just went for biometrics and am hoping for a shiny new 10 yr card in the next few weeks (fingers crossed) And I hope he gets the job!!!
Don't want to put a dampner on your throughts but I went for Biometrics June 06 and I still don't have a shiny new 10 yr card, it is generally a good 5 - 6 month wait after your biometrics. My status online has not changed since Jun 6 so they still have no looked at the file.
Old Aug 15th 2007, 5:24 pm
Valley of the Sun

souls canuck is a splendid one to beholdsouls canuck is a splendid one to beholdsouls canuck is a splendid one to beholdsouls canuck is a splendid one to beholdsouls canuck is a splendid one to beholdsouls canuck is a splendid one to beholdsouls canuck is a splendid one to beholdsouls canuck is a splendid one to beholdsouls canuck is a splendid one to beholdsouls canuck is a splendid one to beholdsouls canuck is a splendid one to behold

well it all depends on which service center you go through.. some are quicker then others, and some cases are quicker.. who ever knows anyway....but I am trying to be patient.. I have the 1 yr extention letter so it's all good